• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Re: Waterfalls a New Journey... MD by Pat_Update # 219

Started by Pat, March 13, 2007, 01:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suplado!

thundercrack83

Love the interchange, my friend! You've got all the elements--the overpass, the railroad, the exits--great work! I'll be looking forward to seeing more!

Tarkus

Pat, nice job there on that interchange--it's really quite a creative design. :)  I can't wait to see what you do with the fun new toys that we're going to be unleashing on the community here very, very soon.  :thumbsup:

-Alex

Jmouse

Woo hoo, I win, I win! Kinda sorta?
I've never seen a configuration like that, but who knows, you may have engineers all over the world slapping their foreheads by Thursday afternoon! &idea
I do have a question though (and in case I haven't said it at least 357 times, I'm certainly no transport-system ace!). Why did you change from roads to streets in what is likely to be a very busy interchange? Also, are those parallel roads under the avenue (based on the yellow arrows)? If so, why not an avenue?
I'm so glad we have experts here at SC4D who are willing to help the rest of us! :thumbsup:

Until next time...
Joan

Ennedi

Your interchange is really cool, Pat!  :thumbsup:
@burgsabre87: You are right and not in the same time  :D Yes, because streets cross the RHW, it is possible to go on the viaduct in two ways - turning right from the RHW and turning left too. But I think most drivers will turn right, because this way doesn't cause any collisions. Without  street crossings on RHW this interchange would work as a typical cloverleaf one. But there are sometimes such connections between two lanes of a highway, especially for service vehicles, road maintenance and other special purposes. If it is this case, everything is OK  :)

Some time passes from my last visit in Waterfalls and I must say I love your Edmonton River and lake, Pat! &apls
I think your landscape arranging is better with every update, and it can be easy seen you like this kind of work!
Excellent work my friend!  :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

TheTeaCat

Another great update you have done here :thumbsup:

Ok heres my 2pence worth.

I agree with the other comments here about the junction but.....
ok here goes .. it seems very cramped and cluttered to me. Personally I would not like to have to make a 90 turn off any highway onto a road as the traffic behind approaches quickly and I would be slowing down seems a recipe for disaster and those are the things you my friend get to deal with. Any entrance/exit to a motorway would be on an angle. Could not the same effect have been created with the avenue intersecting the RHW?

Or looking at it again ... how about still having the elevated section but with slip roads off the avenue before it elevates which cross the RHW and rejoin after the elevated section? This would achieve the same effect without the puzzle pieces being used and no u turns either

I'll do some pics if it makes it clearer?

As I say thats my 2 pence worth but praise is due for attempting to use something you are not used too &apls

Laters

:satisfied:
TTC

edit: thumbs added
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

kimcar

So sorry for not posting often. Still like your work , only missed time .  &ops  As your river falls- Very nice i guess i gonna use your trick one of these day.  &apls &apls As the interchange it`s well done too , even if i don`t use then i like to see what`s new . Good to have engineers like you  :thumbsup: keep it up and have fun.

FrankU

I must agree with TheTeaCat.
Your interchange looks nice, but is a bit elaborate. TTC's version looks much more realistic. It is easier, there are no u-turns to make and I think traffic flow will be much easier. Besides that; it is much cheaper, because there is just a simple bridge to build. In SC4 this is not really an issue, but you might ask the next civil enigneer around you: in real life this is crucial.

Another thing: would it not be nice to raise the rural highway (if that is what I see), so that it also crosses the railway? I think that an avenue or highway should never have a level intersection with a railroad. Takes too much time and is too risky...

Nice work though. &apls

Starmanw402007

I enjoyed viewing those waterfalls Pat. Keep Up the Great work with the project. I'll be keeping intouch. Might use them for all my cities.

Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)
Your Friend;

paroch

Hi Pat,

Nice updates.  Fantastic use of the TPW - you and Tooheys are my two masters that I look to for inspiration, ideas and directiopn - thankyou.

And for the junction.  I like the sheer elaborateness of your zigzag junction.  It reminds me of a bridge in the town I grew up - it was only a footbridge but involved similar angles.  Tea Cat's example is certainly more practical and realistic - but that's what makes SC4 fun - you can create stuff that is a bit different.  Hmnnnn, it's given ,me some crazy junction ideas I must try out myself now......

Shadow Assassin

Nice work on the interchange. Though, as TTC said, it's a little cramped, but I've seen worse in RL. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Pat

OK time for an update here woohoo!!! WOW so many replies from the last update and Im excited thank you everybody who posted and lurked this past few days since Monday Decemeber 17th, I know I was going to update since Monday but i wanted to give it a few days to see and stage some reply's lol and now its been 2 days err well almost 3 days since my last reply i better get off my butt and gett anther update but first and foremost my responses to all the replies.......................

Quote from: burgsabre87 on December 17, 2007, 07:30:39 PM
Looks good to me!  One way the interchange could be improved is by getting rid of one-half of the interchange.  There are two connections there; one isn't needed.

Hey Burgs welcome to Waterfalls, If im not mistaken this is your first time in and Thank you for your comment... Btw which one isn't needed??? Either way Im gonna revamp that in my next update but for now thank you again for stopping in and hope to see you again....

Quote from: blade2k5 on December 17, 2007, 07:42:14 PM
Wonderful update Pat...I love those intersections, nice job on them.  Can't wait to see more :thumbsup:

Hey Blade welcome to waterfalls and Hope that you come back for more... I cant wait for i joint umm yea never mind lol.....

Quote from: suplado! on December 17, 2007, 08:09:20 PM
wow -- those are really cool intersections...

Hey Suplado! welcome back and its good to see you are following me here as well... See you soon

Quote from: thundercrack83 on December 17, 2007, 08:33:26 PM
Love the interchange, my friend! You've got all the elements--the overpass, the railroad, the exits--great work! I'll be looking forward to seeing more!

Hey Dustin welcome back my friend and thank you for the compliaments... see you soon

Quote from: Tarkus on December 17, 2007, 09:17:56 PM
Pat, nice job there on that interchange--it's really quite a creative design. :)  I can't wait to see what you do with the fun new toys that we're going to be unleashing on the community here very, very soon.  :thumbsup:

-Alex

Alex wow im honoured to have you stopping in on this update and that is some good nuggets you passed on and thank you for the compliament as well... I cant wait to get ahold of the new toys soon to come lol

Quote from: Jmouse on December 17, 2007, 10:13:28 PM
Woo hoo, I win, I win! Kinda sorta?
I've never seen a configuration like that, but who knows, you may have engineers all over the world slapping their foreheads by Thursday afternoon! &idea
I do have a question though (and in case I haven't said it at least 357 times, I'm certainly no transport-system ace!). Why did you change from roads to streets in what is likely to be a very busy interchange? Also, are those parallel roads under the avenue (based on the yellow arrows)? If so, why not an avenue?
I'm so glad we have experts here at SC4D who are willing to help the rest of us! :thumbsup:

Until next time...
Joan

LoL Joan i love your questions it makes me stop and think why i did what i did and that keeps me on the level... To answer your question is that I would have stayed with the road but as soon as you hit RHW v13b it turns to a poor looking intersection like soo

but with the street it turns into a section like you see... OK as ive been show and others in the RHW and MIS Devolpment Thread [linkie] they have corrected the problem and the road transitions will now look like soo with the new RHW

So yes Joan you did win lol and as Blade can back me up this interchange does indeed exsist here in Wisconsin at the Highway 8 and US 51 interchange near Blade's neck of the woods in Tom, minus the stop lights and cross over on the bridge like that...

Quote from: Ennedi on December 18, 2007, 05:22:06 AM
Your interchange is really cool, Pat!  :thumbsup:
@burgsabre87: You are right and not in the same time  :D Yes, because streets cross the RHW, it is possible to go on the viaduct in two ways - turning right from the RHW and turning left too. But I think most drivers will turn right, because this way doesn't cause any collisions. Without  street crossings on RHW this interchange would work as a typical cloverleaf one. But there are sometimes such connections between two lanes of a highway, especially for service vehicles, road maintenance and other special purposes. If it is this case, everything is OK  :)

Some time passes from my last visit in Waterfalls and I must say I love your Edmonton River and lake, Pat! &apls
I think your landscape arranging is better with every update, and it can be easy seen you like this kind of work!
Excellent work my friend!  :thumbsup:

Adam you are always welcomed here in Waterfalls along with everyone else of course... I do take a great sense of accomplishment when i do finish up an area and i try my best to improve each and everytime too as you seen and thank you for being so keen on it as well... Please Adam dont be a stranger and come back soon....

Quote from: TheTeaCat on December 18, 2007, 10:55:41 AM
Another great update you have done here :thumbsup:

Ok heres my 2pence worth.

I agree with the other comments here about the junction but.....
ok here goes .. it seems very cramped and cluttered to me. Personally I would not like to have to make a 90 turn off any highway onto a road as the traffic behind approaches quickly and I would be slowing down seems a recipe for disaster and those are the things you my friend get to deal with. Any entrance/exit to a motorway would be on an angle. Could not the same effect have been created with the avenue intersecting the RHW?

Or looking at it again ... how about still having the elevated section but with slip roads off the avenue before it elevates which cross the RHW and rejoin after the elevated section? This would achieve the same effect without the puzzle pieces being used and no u turns either

images removed to make easy transitions - pat

As I say thats my 2 pence worth but praise is due for attempting to use something you are not used too &apls

Laters

:satisfied:
TTC

edit: thumbs added

Derry thank you soo very much for you feedback as that is what i was hoping for and dont worry i plan on reworking that and using some of your idea as well as some others.... Belive me that was step outta me comfort zone... Even using the RHW is also a big up for me as well... along with trying to break my habbit of block building by watching you and joan and dave build your citys in no grid style lol... see you soon

Quote from: kimcar on December 18, 2007, 11:38:47 AM
So sorry for not posting often. Still like your work , only missed time .  &ops  As your river falls- Very nice i guess i gonna use your trick one of these day.  &apls &apls As the interchange it`s well done too , even if i don`t use then i like to see what`s new . Good to have engineers like you  :thumbsup: keep it up and have fun.

KimCar welcome back to Waterfalls its always great to see you posting here!!! dont be a stranger... Im by far from being an engineer more of a tweeker lol.... see you soon right?

Quote from: FrankU on December 19, 2007, 01:17:18 AM
I must agree with TheTeaCat.
Your interchange looks nice, but is a bit elaborate. TTC's version looks much more realistic. It is easier, there are no u-turns to make and I think traffic flow will be much easier. Besides that; it is much cheaper, because there is just a simple bridge to build. In SC4 this is not really an issue, but you might ask the next civil enigneer around you: in real life this is crucial.

Another thing: would it not be nice to raise the rural highway (if that is what I see), so that it also crosses the railway? I think that an avenue or highway should never have a level intersection with a railroad. Takes too much time and is too risky...

Nice work though. &apls

HI FrankU welcome to Waterfalls its always good to have someone new posting here... I will try that out for sure in raising the rail too and I will be revamping this area too... Thank you again for coming in and i hope that you come back for more!!!

Quote from: Starmanw402007 on December 20, 2007, 11:31:20 AM
I enjoyed viewing those waterfalls Pat. Keep Up the Great work with the project. I'll be keeping intouch. Might use them for all my cities.

Your Friend;

Hey Starman im really honored that you came here to Waterfalls to see what ive been doing and im glad you liked the waterfalls, I will do my best in working hard here and hope to see you back for more...

Quote from: paroch on December 20, 2007, 12:36:15 PM
Hi Pat,

Nice updates.  Fantastic use of the TPW - you and Tooheys are my two masters that I look to for inspiration, ideas and directiopn - thankyou.

And for the junction.  I like the sheer elaborateness of your zigzag junction.  It reminds me of a bridge in the town I grew up - it was only a footbridge but involved similar angles.  Tea Cat's example is certainly more practical and realistic - but that's what makes SC4 fun - you can create stuff that is a bit different.  Hmnnnn, it's given ,me some crazy junction ideas I must try out myself now......

Paul you are soo welcomed... I know ive said this before im by from being a master but a mere student learning each and every day but thank you for that honour!!! Im glad you liked the junction and I will be updating this to be more user friendly soon and them drunken engineers have been dealt with swiftly lol... I look forward to see what you whip up....

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on December 20, 2007, 07:00:49 PM
Nice work on the interchange. Though, as TTC said, it's a little cramped, but I've seen worse in RL. :P

Hey SA welcome back into Waterfalls and I know i kinda bloched it up a little and im glad you liked it as well... I hope to see you back soon???

OK so on with the update time sweet.... OK now we are going to take a trip back into the past a little bit here to Big Shur Pass Port now completed and the final details added to the Big Shur River.... Ohhh and before I forget Next update will include the new TOC... So without Further ADO here is BSP and BSR revisited....

So with that Update number 45 is now on the books!!!!

BTW with this post im at 3200 post ytd wow i need a break lol.....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Shadow Assassin

The bridges fit in... you chose well. :P

Nice work with the ploppable water... practice pays off real well, eh?
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
See my uploads on the LEX!

paroch

Hey Pat,

First off, I've just noticed your user name has changed - you've dropped the "firefghtr" bit.  I guess it's easier to say ;)

Nice update.  That high arch bridge looks fantastic there.  And the river banks looks great too, You make those white rocks work well.  I like the deep sharp valley/canyon - see you're giving me even more ideas of thinkgs I must try out.  Any chance you can create the time for me to do them as well :D

The port is nice and it looks functional - but your rivers are just WAY up there.

If we don't catch up before..... Have a great Christmas Pat.

bat

Wonderful port there! And nice details on the river! :thumbsup:

Also congrats on more than 3200 posts! &apls

Jmouse

Thanks for the explanation, Pat, but it will take more than a simple question to keep you level! :P Anyway, you can be sure I'll keep tabs on the next step. I love it when players try new things and share their work with the community.
The arched bridge over the canyon has the old-fashioned look I like, and the port is looking good as well.
Hope you and your family have a well-deserved Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Until next time...
Joan

thundercrack83

Wow!

Big Shur looks amazing, my friend! I love the river in the canyon with the bridge...stunning work! It's always a pleasure to see an update here!

blade2k5

Nice update...the bridges look like they fit right in with the scenery and you're getting pretty darn good with ploppable water.....Can't wait for update #46 :thumbsup:

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

kimcar

&apls &apls Oh yeh. Great work on this river. Very well done the layout too.Nice bridge that you use too. Keep it up :thumbsup:

Pat

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on December 23, 2007, 12:32:37 AM
The bridges fit in... you chose well. :P

Nice work with the ploppable water... practice pays off real well, eh?

SA Thank you so much for your kind words!!! Yes practice does really pay off well!!!

Quote from: paroch on December 23, 2007, 01:07:19 AM
Hey Pat,

First off, I've just noticed your user name has changed - you've dropped the "firefghtr" bit.  I guess it's easier to say ;)

Nice update.  That high arch bridge looks fantastic there.  And the river banks looks great too, You make those white rocks work well.  I like the deep sharp valley/canyon - see you're giving me even more ideas of thinkgs I must try out.  Any chance you can create the time for me to do them as well :D

The port is nice and it looks functional - but your rivers are just WAY up there.

If we don't catch up before..... Have a great Christmas Pat.

Thank you Paul I will and I hope you do to as well!!! I am glad Ive given you some ideas and if you need any help at all dont be affraid M8  :thumbsup:

Quote from: bat on December 23, 2007, 02:48:12 AM
Wonderful port there! And nice details on the river! :thumbsup:

Also congrats on more than 3200 posts! &apls

Bat thank you for coming back and im glad you liked the port!!!

Quote from: Jmouse on December 23, 2007, 08:05:24 AM
Thanks for the explanation, Pat, but it will take more than a simple question to keep you level! :P Anyway, you can be sure I'll keep tabs on the next step. I love it when players try new things and share their work with the community.
The arched bridge over the canyon has the old-fashioned look I like, and the port is looking good as well.
Hope you and your family have a well-deserved Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Until next time...
Joan

Joan you are soo correct and more soo then you will ever know lol...... Thank you my friend im glad you liked the update as a whole!!! Merry Christmas to you as well!!!

Quote from: thundercrack83 on December 23, 2007, 10:49:44 AM
Wow!

Big Shur looks amazing, my friend! I love the river in the canyon with the bridge...stunning work! It's always a pleasure to see an update here!

Dustin thank you and im glad you liked Big Shur and canyon river!!!! I hope you come back for more and I know you will  ;)

Quote from: blade2k5 on December 23, 2007, 12:15:42 PM
Nice update...the bridges look like they fit right in with the scenery and you're getting pretty darn good with ploppable water.....Can't wait for update #46 :thumbsup:

Hey Blade welcome back to Waterfalls, Its always great to see you around!!! Im trying my best and update 46 is a special Update!!!!

Quote from: kimcar on December 23, 2007, 03:30:08 PM
&apls &apls Oh yeh. Great work on this river. Very well done the layout too.Nice bridge that you use too. Keep it up :thumbsup:

KimCar its good to see you again here and Im glad you are pleased with the update!!!

Update # 46 is a special Christmas Update and I will follow this with pics at the end
of this special announcement brought to you in part by King George Bananas,

The finest in the nation serving the best of the best bananas to all....

Christmas Meaning

The traditional greeting at Christmas - very commonly used on Christmas cards.

Origin

"A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to You" was the verse that was shown on the first commercially available Christmas card in 1843. Christmases has been merry long before that though. The use of 'Merry Christmas' as a seasonal salutation dates back to at least 1565, when it appeared in The Hereford Municipal Manuscript:

"And thus I comytt you to god, who send you a mery Christmas & many."

1843 was also the date of the publication of Charles Dickens' Christmas Carol and it was around that time, in the early part of the reign of Queen Victoria, that Christmas as we now know it was largely invented. The word merry was then beginning to take on its current meaning of 'jovial, and outgoing' (and, let's face it, probably mildly intoxicated). Prior to that, in the times when other 'merry' phrases were coined, for example, make merry (circa 1300), Merry England (circa 1400) and the merry month of May (1560s), merry had a different meaning, i.e. 'pleasant, peaceful and agreeable'.

That change in meaning is apparently viewed with disfavour by Queen Elizabeth II, who wishes her subjects a 'happy' rather than 'merry' Christmas in her annual Christmas broadcasts. The idea of a modern-day merry England is presumably unwelcome at the palace.

The best-known allusion to merriment at Christmas is the English carol God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen. The source of this piece isn't known. It was first published in William Sandys' Christmas Carols Ancient and Modern in 1833, although versions of it probably existed as a folk-song and tune well before that but weren't written down. Sir Thomas Elyot, lists the phrase 'rest you merry' in his Dictionary in 1548:

"Aye, bee thou gladde: or joyfull, as the vulgare people saie Reste you mery."

It is often assumed that the carol's lyric portrays the wish that jovial gentlemen might enjoy repose and tranquility. The punctuation of the song suggests otherwise though - it's 'God rest ye merry, gentlemen', not 'God rest ye, merry gentlemen'. In this context 'to rest' doesn't mean 'to repose' but 'to keep, or remain as you are' - like the 'rest' in 'rest assured'.

'Rest ye merry' means 'remain peacefully content' and the carol contains the wish that God should grant that favour to gentlemen (gentlewomen were presumably busy in the kitchen). It isn't the 'rest' that is being given but the 'merry'. Anyone misreading that comma is in good company though. God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen was the carol that Dickens was referring to in A Christmas Carol:

"The owner of one scant young nose, gnawed and mumbled by the hungry cold as bones are gnawed by dogs, stooped down at Scrooge's keyhole to regale him with a Christmas carol: but at the first sound of

God bless you, merry gentleman!
May nothing you dismay!

Scrooge seized the ruler with such energy of action that the singer fled in terror."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Thank you for reading the above as its something that is read every year at my church and I wanted to share this with you all....  From Me and Vicki we wish you all,

Merry Christmas Regulars and friends and all goood night!!!!

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

So with out further ado here is the update 46

So Update 46 is now on the books and stay tunned to watch the end of the revamping
to Chippewa creek and the waterfall....  So to all and everyone a good night and a merrry christmas - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie