• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdenm8

Yes we have thought of it, no we're not considering it for inclusion.

One of the specific functions of the RHW is its modularity and realistic scale (both things prefabricated intersections would utterly destroy). We have bent the rules about prefabricated pieces in recent years, with the SPUI, DDI and the new FAD pieces, but that's the extent of the bending. There will not be MHW-esque interfaces for the RHW.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: DAB_City on September 11, 2011, 02:05:03 AM
I don't know if you have thought about this before, but I've had a sudden flash of inspiration, and I thought; What if the NAM Team eventually recreate the plopable MHW interchanges/one-piece junctions in RHW form?

To be short, they're a waste of IIDs, they're hard to make, and they'd easily exceed the 16x16 puzzle piece size limit. Not to mention they're horrifically inflexible and are one-use pieces, not multi-purpose. Prefabs have been considered in the beginning but the project leader has long since decided against them.

Besides, even just a simple cloverleaf interchange, with realistic scaling and sizing, would occupy an entire small city tile (64x64 tiles).

The closest you'll ever get to a true prefab is the old SPUI piece that's being phased out.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Tarkus

There's 14 networks in RHW 5.0 . . . just for basic prefab orthogonal diamond interchange functionality with Roads, OWRs and Avenues means 42 interchange pieces.  Want NWM networks involved, too?  There's 13 of them, and adding the 3 Maxis networks adds up 16.

14 RHW networks x 16 NWM/Maxis networks = 224 interchanges. 

There's only about 400 pieces in the RHW right now total.  The modular route is the most efficient for not only those of us who are making these pieces, but for the end user as well.  To do everything you'd want to do with our current modular system with MHW-style pieces, we'd be talking thousands of prefab interchanges, easily.

-Alex

eggman121

In addition many interchanges cross over other interchanges in real scale if you understand what I'm saying. A prefab interchange system would not allow for that. It is best to play around with the RHW in a blank region and see what you can create. Here is what can be created with the current RHW 4.1.

MandelSoft

^^ Now THAT is totally awesome. Sure prefab can't beat that...

Now, a teaser move, showing off some things the new RHW v5.0 can create. It's a trip in U-Drive-It mode:
http://www.youtube.com/v/BOlUewThQ-g

Shameless promotion of my MD  :P

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Nanami

I have a bit suggestion (maybe for RHW 6.0). How about to make a ERHW over avenue or roads? I mean something like these:

Sorry if I'm annoying...  &mmm

Dexter

976, Unfortunately, such a thing wouldn't be possible due to game limitations that prevent double decker pieces like that from working properly, as the game cannot distinguish between paths running in the same direction at different levels, and so the cars would jump between the levels.  I believe the reason the new DDRHW works is because the paths run in opposite directions.
Why does one park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

GMT

dunno whats worse, your driving or the soundtrack... although I like the main melody...

anyways nice teaser for rhw5 and your md  &apls

... really, it is. I swear.

Girafe

Nice video Maarten,  ;)

it stays lot of pbs of textures harmonisation between plop and drag pieces
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

MandelSoft

Quote from: GMT on September 11, 2011, 08:04:16 AM
dunno whats worse, your driving or the soundtrack... although I like the main melody...

anyways nice teaser for rhw5 and your md  &apls
Well, controlling UDI is a pain, since it won't change lanes when I want to (and somtimes, it un-snaps when I don't want to). Beside that, slow drivers won't get away from the inner lanes (don't worry, they will be fined). Overall, it's hard to drive well in UDI.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Kitsune

the next rhw version should just solely focus on bridges ... it is the most badly needed feature.
~ NAM Team Member

Ramona Brie

I also noticed one of the cosmetic pieces that hasn't much been talked about but I remember in the new NAM: the narrow-shoulder exit lanes (a more European feature).

Haljackey

Quote from: mrtnrln on September 11, 2011, 08:53:00 AM

Overall, it's hard to drive well in UDI.

I beg to differ. :P UDI takes experience... practice makes perfect!

Great RHW system. Must have taken forever to make the highway and the surrounding scenery. Good use of the RHW 5.0 components.

GDO29Anagram

Looks like I'm not the only one aiming to tease people... ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3Kme8dZsGk

It's an 6Cx6C cloverleaf, featuring the L2 6C. This thing is so big that I was almost able to fit in the Maxis Cloverleaf within one of the loops.
<INACTIVE>
-----

Jayster

Will there be any types of exits/entrances for the new elevated RHWs?

Jayster

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: Jayster on September 11, 2011, 11:57:57 AM
Will there be any types of exits/entrances for the new elevated RHWs?

The elevated 6C will currently be limited to overpass functionality, as demonstrated in my teaser. As of the rest of the new ERHWs, there's an ERHW-2 A1 ramp and an ERHW-6S D1 Ramp.
<INACTIVE>
-----

wallasey

Great videos! You really do know how to showcase the best bits!!

ivo_su

Quote from: Kitsune on September 11, 2011, 09:17:31 AM
the next rhw version should just solely focus on bridges ... it is the most badly needed feature.

Totally  agree with you. Bridges are one of the biggest pain for RHW. I do not know whether it is possible but would be very useful bridge to see 3 tiles  wide. Maybe  6C or 8C - will be easier and cheaper and more practical than two bridges (one for each direction).

- Ivo

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Kitsune

tarkus .... for the dd-rhw4, what bridge id did you use in the controller?
~ NAM Team Member