• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Daeley presents... a new (and hopefully useful) pathing tool

Started by daeley, February 22, 2007, 03:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daeley

PathCreator V2 is here :) File at the link has been updated [Click me]

If there's no bug reports, I'll update the LEX version in a couple of days.
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

Jonathan

A couple more suggestions,
A way to change all X Y or Z values of a path, either by setting the all the values to certain value, or to raise or lower by a value.
Being able to flip all the paths at once, and also have a rotate button for each path(as David suggested)
And support for Stop Paths.
EDIT: Also a button to redo the entry/exits points, because manual editing can 'confuse' it.
And an undo feature is really important.

Also two bugs(I think)
If you make the Top View larger(so it zooms in effectively), to drag the points in path you have to offset the mouse which is very awkward.
And in the SimCity View if you have paths at a hieght then lots of grey lines are drawn on the yellow square, and it makes it harder too see.

But after suggesting all that, which came to mind while working on the most complicated tile I've ever seen, I realised how amazing it is, literally every path I did need to be copied, reversed, copied, flipped, copied and then reverse.
So instead of having to do 4 paths, for each one, I only had to do one and press a few buttons,
so thank you very much again for this wonderful tool :thumbsup:

Jonathan

dedgren

Joris, I can't seem to break it.  Great work!  There be examples of what it makes so easy to do out during the coming week.  Thanks so much for your time spent on this.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

onlycoop

really cool program once i figured it out, still don't know how to make a sc4path file but this is ever useful.
it maybe a good idea if you could make it so you could hide paths so it's easier to follow everything and make sure you have all pathes needed. that and save as sc4path file but don't know if you could do that lol

daeley

Thanks for the feedback :)

Quote from: Jonathan on April 07, 2009, 01:11:19 AM
A couple more suggestions,
A way to change all X Y or Z values of a path, either by setting the all the values to certain value, or to raise or lower by a value.

I'll see what I can do :) To raise everything an easy solution would be do use word and do a replace all ",0<newline>" into ",15.0<newline>" (I don't remember exactly what the wildcard for newline is)

Being able to flip all the paths at once, and also have a rotate button for each path(as David suggested)

Flip/Mirror/Reverse All buttons shouldn't be too hard to do. I'll have a look at it. For rotation I'll have to look a bit at the exact math :)

I know you'd like this, but it's a lot of work, so that's not going to happen soon, sorry  &mmm

EDIT: Also a button to redo the entry/exits points, because manual editing can 'confuse' it.

could you elaborate on what you mean by "confuse"? Do you update after manual changes in text view?

And an undo feature is really important.

That would probably be a lot of work, so that's probably never going to happen. Sorry. Applications like these should be designed from start with undoing in mind or it gets really hard to implement later on.

If you make the Top View larger(so it zooms in effectively), to drag the points in path you have to offset the mouse which is very awkward.

I can't seem to reproduce this bug... strange.

And in the SimCity View if you have paths at a hieght then lots of grey lines are drawn on the yellow square, and it makes it harder too see.

I see, that's a bit annoying indeed. I can probably ad a checkbox to remove the grey lines.

Quote from: onlycoop on April 11, 2009, 01:12:28 PM
it maybe a good idea if you could make it so you could hide paths so it's easier to follow everything and make sure you have all pathes needed.

not a bad idea! Just have to figure out where to put that in the GUI :)

1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

Jonathan

Thanks for giving feedback about the feedback :)

I have no idea how hard anything I suggest is, so if I suggest somethings that are never going to happen, I'm only only asking in case they can be done.

QuoteQuote

I know you'd like this, but it's a lot of work, so that's not going to happen soon, sorry 

Oops, did I say that before, sorry  &mmm

QuoteQuote

I can't seem to reproduce this bug... strange.
The points were quite close together, which is why I made the view larger.
I get it on this path for example (I know not a real path but it happened on the paths in the picture I had last post)
SC4PATHS
-- car_0_2

QuoteQuote

could you elaborate on what you mean by "confuse"? Do you update after manual changes in text view?
I found the problem,(me) I normally update after making manual changes but I forgot just before copying into the reader

And hiding paths will be great :)

Jonathan

daeley

Don't feel discouraged to suggest things though, I like the feedback :) and sometimes I just think "oh what the heck, I like the challenge" and try it anyway, so don't give up hope about the stop points yet ;)

Now I see the problem with dragging those points: when you want to drag a point, the program checks if there is a point drawn close the coordinates of the click. In that specific case the points are so close together the editor picks the wrong point. I should be able to correct this by making the check radius smaller.
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

daeley

File at the link has been updated [Click me]

a few small requested changes (that didn't take much work) to the last version:
- you can now show/hide the grey lines that appear for points with z <> 0
- changed the "flip" button to a (much requested  ;)) "rotate" button (after I figured out rotate clockwise is just flipXY followed by mirrorX)
- reduced the "click" radius so you should be much less likely to grab the wrong point when dragging/deleting points.
1. Install SC4+RH
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

Jonathan

Thanks for the last update it's better now :)

2 more things (sorry)
Can you highlight the entry and exit sides on the aerial view? (so like if a path has an entry/exit of 3/2 the 3 is highlighted green and the 2 highlighted red or something)
And when you change the entry/exit points on edit path box it doesn't not change the name, like the type of path does, I think it is meant to isnt it?

Jonathan

SimFox

I wanna say one more huge, HUGE thank you for a wonderful tool you've created for us all!!!
&apls

requested

Hey folks!
I hope this is the right spot for my question, since it is related to this pathing tool.
After a break of several years I recently began fiddling with SC4 again, but this time I try to actually do some modding instead of just using other peoples stuff. I'd say I'm not a complete noob anymore, but I'm definitely just a beginner, so of course I had to encounter some problems on the way ;)
Right now I'm trying to path a lot made by someone else, a 5x10 lot with a straight avenue going through it from east to west.
It is transit enabled originally, but just cosmetically as far as I can see. But fully enabling it turned out to be much more complicated than I expected it to be.

Viewing the lot via SC4Tool tells me that the outermost tiles are TE, but the six inner tiles are not. My plan was to enable those six inner tiles too.

Due to the attachment a couple of posts earlier I'm able to insert a SC4Path file into the lot (there wasn't one before, as far as I can tell), but what exactly do I have to put in there? Do I have to insert a Path file for each tile seperately? Since the information I could copy&paste from the Path Editor seems to exactly the same for each tile (except exit and entrance direction ofc)
SC4PATHS
-- car_1_2
8,-0.4837,0
-8,-0.4837,0
-- ped_2_2
8,-0.4837,0
-8,-0.4837,0

I did read some forum posts and tutorials, e.g. http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7219.0, but apparently I'm missing something. I noticed a certain correlation between the values of the tiles in SC4Tool (at the bottom, beneath the picture) and the LotConfigPropertyLotObjectData entries in the Reader, so I'm not even sure if the Path Editor is actually needed.

As you can see, I'm a bit confused :D
Maybe I just want to accomplish too much with too little knowledge.

I hope somebody can point me in the right direction, maybe a more beginner-friendly tutorial. Or maybe tell me which more profound mistakes I made ;)

Thanks in advance!

MandelSoft

I believe the transit enabled tile entries need to refer to a certain path file you use. This means that you can use the same path file over and over again. You need to do the following steps:

1. Open the Reader and open your TE-lot.
2. Add you paths to a SC4 Path file.
3. Then go to the Exemplar file containing Lot Configurations.
4. Search for the LotConfigPropertyLotObject entries starting with 0x00000007 (TE-entries).
5. The number of Reps is usually 15. Add one Rep and let it refer to the Instance ID (IID) of the path file. Then it will use the path file as an overrid for the standard paths
6. Save and check in-game with the cheat DrawPaths if it works.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Swordmaster

Heh, I didn't know you could path lots. That opens up a couple of new possibilities to me.

Cheers
Willy

requested

Thanks a lot for your quick reply, Maarten!
I followed your advice, and it worked. But upon further research I came to the conclusion, that the Path Editor is actually most useful for custom pathing. With my particular lot, that has a straight avenue going through, the SC4Tool seems to be enough as it can add the basic paths by itself.
I think this may be the reason why none of the lots I examined actually contained a SC4Path file, because they all had straight standard networks going through.
I made some embarassing mistakes on my first couple of tries, that's why I couldn't get it to work :D

That does definitely not mean that I'm not grateful for your help, as it allowed me to understand what I'll have to do as soon as I need this tool to draw some custom paths.

ivo_su

Add file Path to TE Lots, it would be something absolutely revolutionary and promising. I definitely have to use this if eventually find a way to be able to put a number of such lots, side by side, I think very dreamy.