• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

buzzits power project

Started by Buzzit, August 10, 2010, 02:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzit

final update for today
i started working on the  new and improved substation plant for the german set.
it includes a new fench and  it will get some more detail.
it maybe some housing for the maintainancecrew.

picture:

i will finish it this week

hope you allready guys like it.

Buzzit

Aaron Graham

-Simcity4fan12/Sgt Pepper -Kryptowhite -Jumpthefence -beutelschlurf -Hanson784 -Gwail -Don Miguel -Seraf -Kelistmac -Glenni -Aaron Graham -Vlasky -PBGV103 -Darknono35 -Evillions -lucky7- Parisian- Jackreid -GuerrilaWarfare -Sim Fox -un1 -Heblem -AlexandrosB13 -Anotn -SimHoTToDDy

peter007

pyrointheshadows

** (Edited) **
Well, I remain unsuccessful at finding a comparison chart, but these pictures may help you buzzit. I remember you mentioning tree sizes so one is actually right next to a tree. there are six different pictures.

500 KV Monopole - Single Circuit Delta - Next to a single-story house

500kv Single Circuit Tri-Pole Turning Structure - next to houses.

500KV Single Circuit - Monopole Turning Structure - Next to a 400KV Lattice and a 230KV Lattice

500KV Double-Circuit Monopole next to Semi-Truck Trailors

500 KV Double-Circuit Monopole Next to oak tree & 345KV Lattice & 500KV Single Circuit Monopole

500 KV Double-Circuit Monopole Next to a major intersection, and an SRP (Salt River Project - a local power company) large substation.

I hope that helps you, buzzit. :)

Buzzit

could you give me the coordinates for the last picture? because i need some motivation for an end pylon for the tubular pylons.
(i quess they arent stopping anywhere alone.. its pretty rare that higher voltages(380/400kV and above) end  without any other connections. they are like the Arteries of a country while every other pylon beneath 400kv should be considerd as normal veins)
anyways this type is slightly diffrent from mine. as my conductors are closer to eachother and the pole it self is somewhat taller
i also have a concrete base wich these havent. but that doesnt matter thanks for the pictures
they prove to be usefull!

pyrointheshadows

Quote from: Buzzit on June 07, 2011, 04:16:35 AM
could you give me the coordinates for the last picture? because i need some motivation for an end pylon for the tubular pylons.
(i quess they arent stopping anywhere alone.. its pretty rare that higher voltages(380/400kV and above) end  without any other connections. they are like the Arteries of a country while every other pylon beneath 400kv should be considerd as normal veins)
anyways this type is slightly diffrent from mine. as my conductors are closer to eachother and the pole it self is somewhat taller
i also have a concrete base wich these havent. but that doesnt matter thanks for the pictures
they prove to be usefull!

Actually they do have concrete bases, but the State of Arizona is incredibly (IMO unnecessarily) obsessed with "hiding" unattractive features of infastructure - so the concrete bases are as close to the soil as they possibly can make them - at least in urban areas. In the middle of nowhere like the top pics, they really don't care. its more based on the terrain. You may not see them due to the shrubbery that grows here in the Sonoran Deserts.

The last picture you can find at google street view at 471 West Elliot Road, Tempe, Arizona, United States (the intersection of South Kyrene Road & West Elliot Road) - Coordinates of the PICTURE are Latitude  33°20'56.78"N  & Longitude  111°56'45.37"W.  You might also desire to know that this is the end terminus for a substation for a reclamation plant. As you may observe, there are railroad tracks the lines go down. They go down the tracks for about 6 miles where they join the 500KV Line to the other end of the valley towards the Palo Verde Power plant (Hassyampa River area) (of which the other pics are from). That is at North 56th Street & Pecos Road in Chandler, Arizona just south of the San Tan (State route Loop 202) freeway. There is another terminus pole directing the wires at a 90 degree angle - which is the ONLY 90 degree turn in the state for these kind. This line actually runs from here to the Palo Verde Power Plant (Past where i submitted original pics - Buckeye, AZ) which is a span of approximately 65 Miles (104 KM ) - it just makes a lot of wierd turns. Arizona is rather strange with the way they route their lines XD

*edit*
The odd routing has to do with (i think - merely speculating here...) two different power companies that hold a sort of split patchwork of territory over the valley and the rest of the state - Salt River Project (SRP) and Arizona Public Service (APS) - the two companies while completely seperate entities both hold stock in the Palo Verde Nuclear Plant and thus they share rights to various transmission arteries.

Buzzit

thanks for the information pyro :)
i will look it up asap!

anways an update on the substation

i placed a small transformerhouse for more detail.
it was also the first time i tryed something with splines(thanks alot peter007!)
this is what it looks like:

i may use it for a seperate lot since these building are also seen in cities with multiple neighborhoods to power them seperately(atleast in holland)
tomorrow work will continue on the substation

buzzit

peter007

It is great for a first house.
I assume that you will tweak the textures a bit because they still needs to be a bit better  ;)

-Ernst

Earth quake

metarvo

So, you've actually BATted a building to go with your substation.  I had originally thought of using a dependency building for my substation shed, but I suppose this is a good idea, too.  Good job, even though the wall texture seems a little repetitive.  The fence with the danger signs adds a nice touch, too.  I notice, though, that your pylon doesn't seem to connect to the substation.  Does this mean that this substation is independent of those power lines?

Since you brought up the isolator thing in my thread before, the isolators on my own BATs have really begun to bug me quite a bit, to the point of not being able to continue on my BATs until the issue is resolved.  So, I've been meaning to ask you how you detail your isolators.  They seem to have an extra dimension that mine lack.  I wish I could get mine to look a little more like that (although mine won't be green ::) ).  Of course, I guess I don't want to copy them outright, but it would be nice to be able to make mine look more ridged and less like single solid cylinders.

Keep up the good work, Buzzit!  I'm looking forward to being able to use these substations to flavor up my grid a little.  :)

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Fresh Prince of SC4D

Returning from Call of Duty . Must rebuilt what I destroyed....

FrankU

supremec

Click on the banner to see my BATs

Buzzit

i really found a amazing dutch website about pylons
and i finally got a piece of information i didnt find anywhere
and its about the ammount of isolators on diffrent voltages
50 kV    up to 6
110 kV    7-10
150 kV    11-15
220 kV    16-22
380 kV    >23
(Thanks to hoogspanningsnet.com!)

this will make my work yet again more realistic!

im also busy with finishing the sub-station model :)
more updates comming up!

Buzzit

Anwers:
Peter007:
thank you :)
yeh i used a cement/grid texture wich unfortunately was to big so i had to twist it alot and stuff but it isnt enough yet.

Earth quake:
thank you :)

Metarvo:
yes thats true! i want to use as much of my own stuff as possible
nah it wasnt finished yet i got the finished picture now :) you will see it after i'm done awnsering the comments haha

about the isolators
thats no problem at all
i wouldnt mind giving them to you either so if you want them just ask!
for this model i retweaked and slighly remodeld them.
here's a picture of how they look now:

as i said before if you want it you can have it :)(you only need to rescale it to your needs)
and thanks for the comment :)!

FPoSC4D:
thanks for you comment fresh :)

FrankU:
thanks!

Supremec:
thanks alot:)
its finished now :)!

so i finally finished the substation model
but im gonna test something wich hopefully solves the ''seetrough'' effect wich you get when placing next to highways and trees(you know that effect you see the pylon through any other buildings etc)

the test contains rendering the substation in pieces.
so  that will mean
the pylon and substuff
the fench
the building
and the wiring
im pretty curious how this will work out!

anyways the picture:

i will also add 3 new pylons types in my upcomming sets(including this one)
we had the
-carrierpylons (the straight going pylons)
-cornerpylons
-substation pylons

we now gonna add
-River crossers(pylons wich cross long distances)
-anchorpylons   this pylon type is also used for shorter crossings.  they are distinguished by the fact that on 1 side of the pylons the wires are  tighter. in most cases they use the cornerpylon structure for this one. they are also used to guide river crossing pylons.)
-switchpylons( The function of this pylon is to change the position of the 3 phase wires of every circuit. it doesnt have any other function for in game but you know i want everything as realistic as possible.)

i also added some new minor details
its up to you guys to find them ;)!

Buzzit

MandelSoft

Your new model is looking excellent! Keep up the good work!

Anyway, about the pylon types you don't know the names of: ''afspan''pylons would be anchor pylons. and ''wissel''pylons would be switch pylons. (source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead-end_tower)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Buzzit

@mrtnrln

thanks alot mate!
i will edit the text :)

anyways i have a small... uhm.. well problem
i never added props in the pim-x(i mean props and models i made my self)
so i renderd my fench my transfo(the house) the wires and the structure all in diffrent saves

i loaded up the structure piece. and i wanted to add the rest
but i can't find it in the prop list
what should i do now?

Buzzit

until i figured out how to add my own models as a puzzle in pim-x lot editor i will finish modeling all the other pylons

so far we only got the
- straight pylon(orth)
- substationset

i will now create the next pylons in the following order:
-switchpylon
-anchorpylon
-rivercrosser
-corners 90 degree
-corners 45 degree
-straight pylon (dia)
-splitpylon(pylon wich splits into 2 circuit on 2 lines
so lets get to work!

Buzzit

so i finally finished the switchpylon(only need some minor tweaking).

here's the result so far:

Edit: ups! what i  forgot! this switch pylon is based on my imagination! :)

tomorrow i will tweak it
after that the anchorpylon is getting modeld

(my god these sets are getting really big now!)

Buzzit

today i made the anchorpylon and the river crossing pylon.

here are the pictures

anchorpylons:

anchorpylon connected to the river crossing pylon:
this is just an tryout with the wires the wires on the rivercrossing pylon will be fixed

its there a way to get more vertexes in vertex mode? there are 6(7?) points in 1 cilinder is it possible to double that?
this way i could smoothen the wires wich makes the overal result look better