• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

High Speed Rail Project (HSRP)

Started by Jonathan, August 19, 2007, 02:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cogeo

Quote from: vershner on May 07, 2009, 01:42:48 PM
I'll look at this but I think the shadows help give it a dirtier realistic look.
Maybe yes, but this was better-looking for the light-coloured supports. For these dark ones, the shadow makes them more "fuzzy", ie less clearly defined, as they are similarly coloured. Maybe try changing the colour (this will have only little effect, as they are both very dark), or reducing the shadow's opacity.

Quote from: vershner on May 07, 2009, 01:42:48 PM
Has a look for the GHSR been decided yet? Personally I think that should have walls or fences too, but if it had chain-link fences then I guess the gravel could be wider.
Don't know, better ask Jonathan, but all the pics posted in this thread show tracks with fences, not walls. But such a texture would be usable in both cases, so having fences or walls could even be optional. In the case of walls, the wall model would just hide the gravel texture transition area.

vershner

I've corrected the diagonal and tested in-game. That lines up now.

vershner

Quote from: cogeo on May 07, 2009, 02:44:08 PM
Don't know, better ask Jonathan, but all the pics posted in this thread show tracks with fences, not walls. But such a texture would be usable in both cases, so having fences or walls could even be optional. In the case of walls, the wall model would just hide the gravel texture transition area.
There's an additional problem with widening the gravel though. The diagonals would get jagged edges where the corners meet. They already have slight indents at the current width.

Jonathan

Don't worry if it overlaps the tile(but the rails must stay with in the grid square), but please make the texture for the bit that overlaps.

Great work, sorry I didn't have time yesterday to test it out I'll do it today.

Jonathan

vershner

I've figured out how to add the textures to the models using the Reader now, so I can test as I go.  I also realised I'd done the diagonal completely wrong. It doesn't work like a puzzle piece at all.

vershner

After testing in-game I've noticed some interesting things:

Firstly the 256x256 textures look great close-up, but when zoomed out they actually look worse than the 128x128 ones. I guess SC4's scaling is not as good as Photoshop's.
Images below.

256x256

128x128

So I'm going to do the textures in 128x128, because you hardly ever zoom in to the maximum anyway.

The other odd thing is that the models for the switch are not 128x128. Two of them are 134x128 and one is 136x128. This has caused havoc trying to align the rails.
Is there a reason for this size difference?

darraghf

Those tracks look so much better.
-Darraghf
Darraghf on SC4D, Rainyday on ST, Darraghflah on Simpeg

gardenwong

俺がã,¬ãƒ³ãƒ€ãƒ ã wwwwww

Jonathan

Much much better  :thumbsup:

Please keep them in 256x256 though, the reason it doesn't look right zoomed out is because it's using the same model. On my to do list is to make models for all the zooms and then it will look better. You'll still get some problems using 128x128 but I guess it won't be as obvious.

So what will be needed is a texture for all the zooms. (but replace the 128x128 with the 256)

I'm not sure why some textures are bigger than others, I just used textures that were made years ago for the previous HSRP. So if need to change dimensions please do.

Jonathan

SimNation

Looks great....good to see HSR is getting some attention again.

vershner

Quote from: Jonathan on May 09, 2009, 01:30:06 AM
Please keep them in 256x256 though, the reason it doesn't look right zoomed out is because it's using the same model. On my to do list is to make models for all the zooms and then it will look better. You'll still get some problems using 128x128 but I guess it won't be as obvious.
Ok, well the Photoshop files are all 256 or higher, so it's no problem making both sizes.

QuoteI'm not sure why some textures are bigger than others, I just used textures that were made years ago for the previous HSRP. So if need to change dimensions please do.
It's not the textures that are bigger. The textures have to be 128x128 or the game doesn't display them correctly. It's the models that are bigger and so the texture gets stretched. This means I have to make the texture slightly smaller, with extra bits on the edge so that when it gets stretched it still lines up with the straight pieces.

If you look at the original texture you can see that the track is slightly thinner on the switch textures.

Fresh Prince of SC4D

I take back what I said.... those tracks look great!
Returning from Call of Duty . Must rebuilt what I destroyed....

Jonathan

The switch is wider because there isn't a blue barrier on one side, if there was then the trains would drive though it and it wouldn't be very good.
I think that's what you mean?
Jonathan

choco

when i was editing those s3d files, i noticed a glitch between some pieces when i shrank the models to 128x128 (or 8.0000, 8.0000 for vertices).  perhaps this may be why some models are slightly oversized?

Jonathan

Do you mean for the bridges? Then that would only be the straight piece? The straight pieces have always been inside a grid square so I don't think so.

Jonathan

vershner

It's coming along quite nicely now.

mightygoose

NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

sithlrd98

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

io_bg

Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November