• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

High Speed Rail Project (HSRP)

Started by Jonathan, August 19, 2007, 02:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DAB_City

Elevated Rail can't do tunnels because EA/Maxis expects us to use the ELR<>Subway Transition. Onslope transitions are available for both GLR and ELR. Monorail can do tunnels, but it requires a 24m clearance on either side. I wonder whether it would be possible to do (E)HSR tunnels by changing the textures or similar..?  ()what()
Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/user/360022-dab-city/

jondor

Quote from: DAB_City on September 18, 2011, 01:54:22 AM
Elevated Rail can't do tunnels because EA/Maxis expects us to use the ELR<>Subway Transition. Onslope transitions are available for both GLR and ELR. I believe Monorail can do tunnels, but that requires either a 24m or 30m clearance (I can't remember which). I wonder whether it would be possible to do (E)HSR tunnels by changing the textures or similar..?  ()what()

The other problem with tunnels is that each network can have exactly ONE tunnel model.  I believe the RAM project intends to get around this by removing the default model (or rather using an empty model so the pathing still works), and having ploppable cosmetic tunnel pieces for the different rail networks.  But it's still in the development stage.
All new animated railroad crossing props for networks of all sizes! (Phase 1 complete)--> http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=13209

Mostly writing pony stories on FimFiction.net, but Cities: Skylines is my new best friend.  Anything and everything I made for SimCity 4 is fair game for use and distribution.

DAB_City

I've actually constructed a HSR/Monorail tunnel in one of my cities, and I have uploaded the photos. Obviously, the tunnel textures do not match, but I will test this soon to see if it works. Perhaps this will help you in the future?  :thumbsup:

EDIT: It does work! I'm using this exploit in the Simford Airport High-Speed (SAHS), which will be featuring in the Timbuktu Region Diary soon.  :D
Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

Phlogiston

I hope you could release a minor update that could change the old overpasses-over-GHSR to be the same as the NAM 30 overpasses. :)

And I also would like to request in your next major update to have a HSR over RHW, ortho-ortho, diagonal-diagonal, diagonal-orthogonal, and orthogonal-diagonal, plus diagonal GHSR on slope transition...

Tarkus

Quote from: Phlogiston on October 18, 2011, 10:19:41 AM
I hope you could release a minor update that could change the old overpasses-over-GHSR to be the same as the NAM 30 overpasses. :)

See the file attached below. :)

Quote from: Phlogiston on October 18, 2011, 10:19:41 AM
And I also would like to request in your next major update to have a HSR over RHW, ortho-ortho, diagonal-diagonal, diagonal-orthogonal, and orthogonal-diagonal, plus diagonal GHSR on slope transition...

There aren't really any plans going forward with HSRP right now.  It's likely to be merged into the NAM Core as part of the "monolithic NAM" plan, along with the RHW, NWM, etc., which will probably make it a bit easier to update on the whole, actually, but there's not really been any development for some time now.  We're not declaring it a "dead project" by any means, but it's not exactly a high priority, either.

-Alex

thornyjohny

Has an HSR-GHSR transition been released(I can't find one) and if it hasn't, is one being planned?

io_bg

There are two in the current HSR release - a ramp one and an on-slope piece.
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

DAB_City

^ They are in the GHSR Starter Piece menu, press TAB until you find them.

TiFlo

Tarkus, the link to your attachment for the Nam3.0/GHSR overpass gives me an "index.php" file. Am I missing something?  ???

WC_EEND

it works fine on my end, maybe try redownloading?
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

TiFlo

For whatever reason, it seems firefox was the culprit. I tried downloading from IE9, and it worked without a hitch. No idea what's wrong though.

Thank you!

SCWTC4

that's strange, i've downloaded the same file with Firefox and all went right...
me and my (clever) friend..
f: "everytime i play SC4 riots erupts, they even blow up a bridge"
m: "do you ever consider the possibility of putting around some police stations?" (joking)
f: "you're right..."
m:

jdenm8

That's because you probably didn't click the link, you right-clicked and selected "Save link as".

That'll grab the PHP file designed to grab the download, not the download itself.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

TiFlo

Both clicking the link and right-clicking to "save as" gave me the "index.php" file. No biggie anyway.  :)

thornyjohny

Try opening the link in a new tab or window.

TiFlo

noahclem

Quote from: jondor on September 18, 2011, 08:35:50 AM
Elevated Rail can't do tunnels because EA/Maxis expects us to use the ELR<>Subway Transition. Onslope transitions are available for both GLR and ELR. I believe Monorail can do tunnels, but that requires either a 24m or 30m clearance (I can't remember which). I wonder whether it would be possible to do (E)HSR tunnels by changing the textures or similar..?  ()what()

The other problem with tunnels is that each network can have exactly ONE tunnel model.  I believe the RAM project intends to get around this by removing the default model (or rather using an empty model so the pathing still works), and having ploppable cosmetic tunnel pieces for the different rail networks.  But it's still in the development stage.

There's actually been a lot of exciting stuff going on with tunnels lately, with rivit's new tunnel mod on the STEX. As I understand it, it is already possible to have both standard rail tunnels and STR tunnels existing simultaneously in the same tile, without requiring cosmetic pieces hiding the actual entrance. Unfortunately I've been too busy lately to actually implement that (though I have switched to his new tunnels, including the 7.5m height road ones--I'm not sure why he warns that they should only be used by advanced users as all the necessary files (slope mods with altered road tunnel heights) are included in the download)).

Based on what's been done with the mod it seems entirely possible to have both HSR and monorail tunnels existing simultaneously, but I don't think having both HSR & GHSR would be possible. I always thought that going straight from 15m elevated to a tunnel seemed a bit silly anyway though....

DAB_City

Quote from: noahclem on December 15, 2011, 04:47:37 AM
Quote from: jondor on September 18, 2011, 08:35:50 AM

There's actually been a lot of exciting stuff going on with tunnels lately, with rivit's new tunnel mod on the STEX. As I understand it, it is already possible to have both standard rail tunnels and STR tunnels existing simultaneously in the same tile, without requiring cosmetic pieces hiding the actual entrance. Unfortunately I've been too busy lately to actually implement that (though I have switched to his new tunnels, including the 7.5m height road ones--I'm not sure why he warns that they should only be used by advanced users as all the necessary files (slope mods with altered road tunnel heights) are included in the download)).

Based on what's been done with the mod it seems entirely possible to have both HSR and monorail tunnels existing simultaneously, but I don't think having both HSR & GHSR would be possible. I always thought that going straight from 15m elevated to a tunnel seemed a bit silly anyway though....

I've got the tunnel mod, and although I'm only using the Heavy Rail feature, it's a lot better than the "rusty" Maxis portal default. I love rivit!  :D

And about possible (E)HSR tunnels: I've used them in my Simford Airport High-Speed project (which I am not able to work on any more, unfortunately...). The obvious benefit of Monorail-based tunnelling is a fully high-speed route, but using HSR<>Subway converters means that you don't need to convert between GHSR and (E)HSR, to line the portals up. Subway tunnelling, although it runs at a slower speed (I think), allows curves and junctions in the underground route. The portals, alas, will not be implemented into the NAM, I presume (TE-Lot policy).

I hope that this has helped with ideas for future development.  :thumbsup:

dubselector

Hey Dab, about yer exploit and non-matching textures, use a plop tunnel to cover it. I believe when I was running the game on my Mac I had come across a tunnel entrance that was supposed to work as a subway converter but when you plop it, your able to drag the network through it and continue on with the tunnel (also works with latest tunnels for Road,Ave and such), I'm not sure if the city-folk are going to automatically hop on the subway, but as far as drawpaths is concerned and UDI it's all good. I never bothered hooking up the subway come to think of it, and people were rolling through there all the time. Hope that helps.

DAB_City

Sounds interesting... I'll have to see where I can find some. I tried the STR tunnel portals recently, they're not perfect, but they do the trick.  :D