• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Base textures for GLR?

Started by Gaston, November 03, 2008, 03:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaston

Okay, maybe this has been done and I haven't seen it yet.      ()what()

Perhaps someone could make a way to change the textures for ALL the GLR pieces.    Similar to the way the BSC parks can have a different texture selected for the sidewalks.   After you load that texture ALL the BSC parks then change to the chosen sidewalk.   

&idea

Can something like that be done with GLR?   I was thinking either the same BSC texture or even better pedestrian plaza textures.    I know alot of older trams here in the US that I have seen have had a base of cobblestonse, brick, or brick herringbone. (Not working currently, just old photos)   The problem right now is not being able to use all the GLR pieces unless you like the default "concrete" texture.   Red brick paved throughout a city would look great, wouldn't it?    Or even all the GLR and BSC parks matching?   :o

Well thanks for reading this.   It was just something I was hoping might be able to happen.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

Andreas

Well, of course other texture sets could be created - but someone has to make them. ;)
Andreas

Gaston

I wasn't sure it was possible.    Seems like something someone would have done by now.     ;)   Maybe this will inspire someone to do it.   I can only hope, cause no matter how many tutorials ya'll create,  I can't do it.     $%Grinno$%

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

Toichus Maximus

I was just wondering this myself. I'd be willing to give it a shot if I had any clue what to do. I need to make the sandstone texture to be the base texture.

tankmank

i've just been searching on how to do this as the textures won't fit into my very LE city but i'm not sure how to change the texture i've tried to see if i can in LE but can't

Toichus Maximus

We'd certainly have to use the reader and not the LE. I imagine we'd need to do new base textures as well. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to make textures, and only a rudimentary understanding of the reader. I could probably figure it out with a little guidance as to what exactly would need changing. But there would be a lot of new textures to make.

TheTeaCat

Quote from: Andreas on November 03, 2008, 06:20:01 PM
Well, of course other texture sets could be created - but someone has to make them. ;)

Taking a guess here. Something like what was done for the SAM?
Is this something that can be done easily or does it require a certain level of skill?

Personally I'd love a different texture for the GLR  :D

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Diggis

Yes, you are correct TTC, it is exactly the same as the SAM.  What you need to do is open the GLR file in the reader and make a note of the IID of each texture.  Then you need to extract them all and covert them to PNG, open them in Photoshop or similar, and then edit them to your hearts content. 

Then you can convert them back to FSH files using the SC4Tool giving them the same IID as the original and let the users choose which type they want.

To extend it further and make it like the SAM where you can choose the texture using a puzzle piece will require someone from the NAM team to write some more RULs for it and assign a texture range to use.

Toichus Maximus

That doesn't sound TOO frightening...

wes.janson

Would it be the same to change the base texture on the puzzle pieces? Though you would probably have to do them individually wouldn't you?

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

Toichus Maximus

How does one go about extracting these textures, and does anyone know which NAM DAT files they are in? I found 2 textures that looked right in NAM3, but I didn't see the others...

Diggis

Quote from: wes.janson on November 19, 2008, 07:05:07 AM
Would it be the same to change the base texture on the puzzle pieces? Though you would probably have to do them individually wouldn't you?

Not up to play on the GLR pieces, but quite possibly. 

Quote from: Toichus Maximus on November 19, 2008, 07:24:59 AM
How does one go about extracting these textures, and does anyone know which NAM DAT files they are in? I found 2 textures that looked right in NAM3, but I didn't see the others...

I think there is a GLR DAT that they should be in...

Toichus Maximus

Ok, I found that file. Found Jplumbey's tutorial. This will be helpful.

I noticed a few discrepancies from the tutorial--there are two close up zooms for most of the GLR pieces. Do I need both of them or just one? Also, one or two of the files are what looks like compressed puzzle pieces:

Is there a process for that?

Next question--where can I get the FSHman program or another program that converts fsh to png?

ANY help is appreciated. I imagine this will take me a good long while...

Andreas

FiSHMan can be found at Simtropolis' "Modds & Downloads" section. Use the textures that have a "4" as the last digit of the ID as a template, those are the zoom 5 textures. The smaller ones will be generated automatically when you compile your new textures (however, you have to use the ID with the "0" at the end in the texture generator).
Andreas

Toichus Maximus

ok. This is going to take a looooooong time as it is end of the semester and I have 217 files on my plate. Still need to get fishman working, too. It keeps giving me an error message whenever I try to download. I have the windows NET thing, so I have no idea what it is...

Toichus Maximus

Yeah, I can't get FiSHman or any freeware on the web to open the files. Does anyone know why this might be?

Andreas

What exactly is your problem at the moment? First you said you cannot download FiSHMan, and now you cannot open the files? Does that mean that you have FiSHMan installed now or not? When extracting the FSH files with the Reader, make sure to export them with "Save decoded files".
Andreas

Diggis

What flavour windows are you running?

superhands

QuoteI noticed a few discrepancies from the tutorial--there are two close up zooms for most of the GLR pieces. Do I need both of them or just one? Also, one or two of the files are what looks like compressed puzzle pieces:

i believe the 2 textures your looking at would be the the 'native' (untouched)  and 'darkend' (when applied to s3d models, textures are brighter. darkening it compensates for this). the compressed puzzle piece texture is for the preview model. it would stretch out to 3 tiles with road stubs on each side. you can retexture it if needed.
whatever you do, dont 'print screen' in reader then paste in paint to get the texture. it's displayed 1pixle out.
most of the pp model intersections involving glr should have the same glr texture id's, so that may help shed some of the work load,if thinking you have to individualy replace every one.
also you could have it as a texture overide like the rhw or arkenbergjoe's rail viaducts.

dave

Toichus Maximus

I'm running vista ultimate. i tried running it in compatability mode, but no change.
I have FiSHman installed, along with a few other programs that purport to work. When I try to open a file in fishman, it says "invalid parameter usage." The other program i'm trying to use, irfanview says "decode error, BMP1 has an unsupported type (97)

Any clues?