• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Bug with rail and El-Rail NAM June 2009

Started by zellerda, June 24, 2009, 11:43:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zellerda

Hello,
I have found a bug with the rail and el-rail texture in the last version of the NAM, the curve texture is not aligned. It's look like pretty bad.
The problem comes from the controller.dat file.

Rail bug

El-Rail bug

WC_EEND

yes, indeed I also noticed it. Only I was doubting wether it was already like that or not
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

choco

its not a bug...per-say....

that junction was removed since it was not a practical interchange in real life....looks like the textures were not fixed though. :)

zellerda

The problem is from the first version of this year

Here is the screen without NAM

choco

again.....that interchange was removed from the NAM, so what you are experiencing is normal.   :) 

IIRC, the discussion about this change occurred in 3RR a few months ago.

Chrisim

Sorry, there are still a few people here who do not follow the 3RR, and I am one of them.

I do often have the discussed interchange in my cities for the following reason. Starting from a straight rail line, I create a perpendicular branch-off. However, I wish to connect it to both directions. When I do this (top image), the game creates this particular interchange. With the pre-March-NAM, the texture was fine, now it is wrong like on this picture. Before the March-NAM, the next thing was that I realized that the straight rail line is not required anymore, so I bulldozed it (bottom image). I win one tile that I can use for something else.

The present NAM implementation is simply wrong. It shows a false combination of textures. I would prefer a solution that replaces the center three-way texture by a two-way texture. Then, I would not bulldoze the tile of the straight track, and I would get a proper triangle that is more realistic than this interchange from the original game. Like the top image, just the center tile texture does not show the "false" track.
EDIT: so the solution would be to replace one texture only

Andreas

That's weird, it shouldn't look like that. IIRC, we modified both the texture of the railway Y and the model of the el-rail Y, so they would show a proper Y without that weird curve. It looks like an older version of a plugin has crept into the development files, since those screenshots clearly show a mixture of David's updated railway textures (the straight parts; you can see that the sleepers are more closely together) and the default Maxis textures (the switch parts).
Andreas

allan_kuan1992

If i remember, this used to happen to me before due to conflicts between SFBT textures and Dedgren's textures, both of which come with the NAM files.

So when installing the NAM, make sure that you do not have the two sets together as overriding can occur.

- Allan Kuan

Andreas

Ok, I had another look at this, and it turned out that it is a mixture between an oversight of myself and an older version of a file that crept into the NAM source folder. When introducing the RUL change that removes the extra curve, I forgot to update the SFBT darker rail textures plugin - for some reason, nobody noticed this so far, but the RULs were changed in the March 2009 version of the NAM, so that particular switch has been that way since march. Later, I removed David's straight rail texture (and some others) from the NetworkAddonMod_2.dat, since they were contained in David's rail texture plugins anyway. Well, I fixed the issues, and now it looks as intended:

As for the three-way el-rail switch, I don't know if a fix was made, but as a workaround, you can try something like I showed on my screenshot (in the middle), which is probably more realistic anyway, since it only involves "normal" switches, rather than a complicated three-way mechanism. I think we should wait a few more days for further bug reports, then I'll upload a fixed version of the NAM (using the update installer will be sufficient in that case).
Andreas