• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diggis

Have you done that via T21's or lots to the side?  The look good, and would be nice to see as a release.

Shadow Assassin

zzsim:  Thanks for the compliments! (and I believe there is a way to disable the second core temporarily--I don't have a dual-core myself so I'm not entirely certain, though).

There is indeed. I'm playing SC4 on a Core 2 Duo, and it hasn't crashed yet for me. Well... it did, but I caused it to crash by doing something with a transit-enabled lot that the game didn't like. :P
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

MandelSoft

Quote from: Diggis on April 28, 2008, 03:25:20 AM
Have you done that via T21's or lots to the side?  The look good, and would be nice to see as a release.
It's pure T21-based
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

EDGE4194

thundercrack83

The guardrails are looking good there, mrtnrln! Keep up the good work!

c0rnh0li0

Didn't someone have a NAM troubleshooting thread here? I'm having trouble w/commuters disappearing once they reach the border. It's one corner in one city. I have commuters coming & going @ other connections, but the southwest corner seems to be "dead". Traffic leaves town, but none enter. If you go to the connecting cities though, I'm supposed to have close to 2500 travelers in that corner (1900 from the south, 500+ from the west). If someone can point me to the correct thread to pose this problem, or answer it, I would appreciate it.

jplumbley

All the "HELP" topics and some "General" topics have been moved to the "NAM Place" board in the cleanup.

The "NAM Creations" Board will be left for developement project, and the "NAM Howtos and Tutorials" Board where NAM affiliated Transit Tutorials will be placed.  These Tutorials will be approved and probably written by NAM Team members to try and promote users to getting involved at some level of Transit Modding.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

c0rnh0li0

nerdly_dood

Excellent guardrails, mrtnrln, and textures, Tarkus  &apls can't wait for them in RHW v. 20a!  (I think that's what you're calling the next update, right?)
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

MandelSoft

The small RHW-4 curves are ready (It took a long time until I understood the mirrored T-21 Exemplars. I was getting fustrated!  :bomb:) Here's a pic:

Best,
MRTNRLN

Toichus Maximus

j-dub

Andreas

Nice work, mrtnrln! Could you try to follow the curves of the RHW with your props? At the moment, they look a tad strange. ;)
Andreas

Ennedi

@mrtnrln: These guard rails can be a great addition to the RHW! I have three comments:

1. It's obvious shorter props look better on slopes, especially along diagonal stretches. But it would be good if props would be a little bit longer and touch one to another. The guardrail should look continous.
2. Generally I think that the most important visual aspect of guardrails is their smoothness and continuity. Pillars don't need to be such high, they can also be a bit less visible. The guardrail is low, and the viewing angle in sc4 is quite big. But they can stay as they are now if only you will achieve the horizontal continuity.
3. I think you can make bigger props for curves, especially small ones (as on your picture). As I understand, your main problem is the slope. But for every network it is wise to make curves on the completely flat terrain. It is especially important for avenues, highways and of course RHW. I tried to make long curves on the slope (successfully), but the slope must be very soft. Looking at your picture I also see that the terrain around curves is flat, and the slope begins a few tiles away.
If you will make bigger props for curves, you will be able to make them without sharp angles. Maybe you looked at Chrisadams' Rural Renewal Project and his (unreleased unfortunately  &mmm) fences. I think about something similar.

Of course these are my subjective opinions, there are a lot of wise guys in this thread, they can have better advice  :)

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

MandelSoft

Jack_wilds

Hello Tarkus, NAM team, and RHW-MIS team... Jack_wilds here. 

I have read through much of this thread on this quiet Sunday and I am impressed.  I love everything that is happening surrounding the further development of SC4.  I was about ready to give up on the whole SC4 notion when I stumbled upon simtroplis then SC4D, my enthusiasm for SC4 was reignited.  The NAM mods and the RHW-MIS projects are great; expanding the envelop of SC4 creativity.  I like much if not all of your work.  Setting priority that it functions first then make it look good is a good game plan...so stick with it.  The notion of having more frequent incremental upgrades is also a good plan, go for it.  For revision nomenclature...the system you have now (20, 21...29, 20-9a-z, 30-?)  is good and ought to be continued just to keep with a single track for a train of thought for your continuing developments. 

As for all the texture suggestions and related, keep it simple so its easier to add-on improve later.  I think it should go to third parties for cosmetic, appearances, texture upgrade mods add-ons, so the RHW-MIS team can focus on function and in the process create standards and protocols for the third party people to design for.  Perhaps this is already happening and I'm talking in to the wind. 

Design sensibilities varies across the broad and nit-picking will never end.  There are DOT, NHTSA, WIDOT. MNDOT, plus other states, counties, countries, cities...ways of doing.  It seems a SIM-DOT needs to create and adopt its own set of standards and regs and related stuff.  After all the Sim-World isn't necessarily our real world and doesn't need to followed too closely to the model.  To that end its a Sim world we're building and the SIMS have their own sensibilities.  Plus the game and all its related programing limits just how much things can be fudged. Millimeters and centimeters do not appear on the game, I'm sure they are smaller than a pixel width, whether a dividing line is +/-a little can't be seen on the screen. Since Tarkus and the RHW-MIS team are doing, they should set the governing principles that the guidelines should follow.  I think that the look and textures are very good, keep it up. I'm looking forward to the next upgrades.

I have only posted a couple of times and was chastised for my use of 'a shout and a hollar' a common WISC north-woods vernacular for Hi and a Hello...that was a while ago. So I'll speak softer and just carry the big stick.  As a further note to NAM team as whole, every one and thier cousin will always have something to say and they will always repeat the same questions, the same queries, the same objections -in spite of stating numerous times before...its the nature of all of us 'SIMS', so you may need to bite your tongue and answer it yet an other time... 

I am a civil engineer-tech, an out of work CE-tech for too long tech living in the fox cities of WI-USA...visiting SC4D has kept busy easing, some of the boredom I am facing as I seek a new position in the work-a-day-world.  Say while I have an ear...I have a wish list of SC4 things -as I'm sure everyone and their cousin does, where can I hand in such a list?

'til the next e-note posting...Jack Wilds

Pat

Hey Jack its awesome to hear of anther Cheese head here!!! btw don't forget to check in Here... Besides who yelled at you for talking err typing lol, I hope no one here has done that!!! I see nothing wrong with your Praises to the NAM team in fact I think everyone has done it some time or anther...  Again welcome to Devotions and I do hope you enjoy your time here and dont be affraid to praise or ask questions!!!!

cheers

pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

deathtopumpkins

Is this supposed to happen with the exit signs?

They're cool other than appearing in the exit lane.

And one other thing:
How do you get the RHW to still be RHW-4 between gentle curve puzzle pieces? In the interchanges thread at ST people have pictures of the gentle curves with RHW-4 in between, but mine always convert back to RHW-2 in between.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Toichus Maximus

hey, deathtopumpkins. Don't know about the sign issue you're having, but the issue with the reversion to rhw-2 is because you need to make sure you've fully dragged the curve in rhw-4 and then plop the puzzle piece over it. As I understand it, it'd be impossible to have a diagonal texture starter there because the curves would be interfering with each other's starters.

videosean

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on May 05, 2008, 05:50:20 PM
How do you get the RHW to still be RHW-4 between gentle curve puzzle pieces? In the interchanges thread at ST people have pictures of the gentle curves with RHW-4 in between, but mine always convert back to RHW-2 in between.
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4584.new#new
Hope that pictorial helps - the end result: