• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilfried

This image quite clearly shows what I'm saying: There is a dashed line after the offramp and an "end of speed restrictions" sign (which includes passing restrictions).

It is seldom the case that passing is not allowed on super-twos. It is, however, often not allowed on junctions and intersections. But on the open road, it is.

deathtopumpkins

The reason why the RHW textures have solid lines, and there are puzzle pieces to create passing zones, is that, if you count the entire mileage of roadway in passing or no passing zones, at least in the U.S., the latter would clearly exceed the former.  Passing zones are the exception rather than the rule, and states are frequently becoming stricter about what stretches of road can handle passing zones.
It is simpler this way, from both a realism and technical feasibility standpoint. And I doubt this setup is going to change.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Blue Lightning

Around here, most if not all rural roads are 2 lane solid. There is Cleve-Mass Road after the Ghent termination that switches from dual solid, half pass, and full pass, but its mainly dependent on terrain.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

Kitsune

I've seen a lot of highways in Ontario and West that have dashed lines on straight aways, half dashed leading into curves for the side that has a clear view of the oncoming traffic and solid on curves.
~ NAM Team Member

MandelSoft

The double solid lines setup are from my point of view safer than the dashed line setup. I mean, you wouldn't want to crash with highway speeds. The ammount of crashes can be reduced when you restrict overtaking. Here's an example:
http://maps.google.nl/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.071804,4.479429&spn=0,359.986106&z=17&layer=c&cbll=52.071695,4.479537&panoid=pCGkaZDfKgcWvwsw3wEmhA&cbp=12,325.91,,1,-1.12

Although the line setup consists out of double long dashed lines (long dashed lines in europe mean: overtaking desencouraged), the sign says you may not overtake here. You may only overtake tractors (that's why there are dashed lines anyway).

Another example:
http://maps.google.nl/?ie=UTF8&ll=52.03829,4.47238&spn=0,359.888849&z=14&layer=c&cbll=52.038258,4.472209&panoid=sAyl0pH-g5Eum2YuwRcu5A&cbp=12,249.54,,0,4.54

Although the speedlimit is only 60 kph/37.5 mph, you may not overtake here.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

strucka

Yeah but this was in the middle of a settlement. We're discussing 2-lane motorways here. Things like someone showed before, these are particularly different. First of all they run around cities, banning the slow traffic like tractors and anything that can't reach 60kph. Secondly, they have speed limits mostly around 100 and in danger zones down to 60, because of those speeds there is no chance of surviving another car directly (let's say you both obeyed the law and drove 100kph, which would equal a 200kph hit of a very thick concrete wall), in your case passing is i believe disencouraged because of narrowness and dense population zone.
In Slovenia we had an old 2 lane motorway (the A2 /M2), which was in Yugoslavia the main artery (avtoput bratstva i jedinstva: motorway of brotherhood and unity) it had a lot of dashed lining, and coincidentially an enormous death toll (a few years ago 8 people burned to death, when a van hitting a truck burned and several other cars collided in the two burning vehicles (van and truck) last year no casulties on this road (well mainly because a part of it was turned in to a full (_2+2_) highway profile, some parts of the corridor are on the new highway and 2 really small parts are still under construction), but the most noticable difference came in the years before the construction, when i think every single part of the artery (which is now the second most important in the country) was changed in to a solid or double solid lines. So i say double solid lines stay and i also do the road thing in case i create a level intersection on the way.

Wilfried

Well, perhaps there should be starter puzzle pieces with which mayors can decide on their own how much safety they want to force their sims into. ::)

MandelSoft

Well, actually you got an option with the RHW 4.0 to decide that. You can plop cosmetic pieces with dashed lines or dashed+solid lines. In the same way you can plop exit/entrance lane markings on the RHW-6S and 8S
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Tarkus

Quote from: Wilfried on March 21, 2010, 08:16:30 AM
Well, perhaps there should be starter puzzle pieces with which mayors can decide on their own how much safety they want to force their sims into. ::)

While that won't be the case for Version 4.0, that is something being looked into for one of the 4.x series releases.

-Alex

mightygoose

in the UK you have double solid liners taht mean no overtaking, but also single solid single dashed taht means overtaking one direction only......
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

strucka

You sure about that? Cause in most of Europe one line means it's quite hazardous to overtake and 2 lines mean don't even f****** try that you stupid assf***** :bomb:. =) And if there is a dashed with solid, that means that it is possible to overtake on the side of the dashed line.

daeley

Quote from: strucka on March 24, 2010, 01:22:44 AM
You sure about that? Cause in most of Europe one line means it's quite hazardous to overtake and 2 lines mean don't even f****** try that you stupid assf***** :bomb:. =) And if there is a dashed with solid, that means that it is possible to overtake on the side of the dashed line.

I agree... most of the time, there's just a single solid line where it's dangerous to overtake. There's a double solid line on very rare places where it basically means "overtake = guarantee for a painful death".
1. Install SC4+RH
2. Install LEX (CD&DVD helps) and latest NAM + updates
3. Play the game
4. ? ? ? ?
5. Profit!

mightygoose

yeah there is never a single solid line in the UK, otherwise where would the cats eyes go?
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Wilfried

As mightygoose put it right, there are no single solid lines in use on British roads. The Brits have single dashed or double solid lines only. Also, the meaning of them is quite not the same as it is in most Continental European countries. For example, a double solid may be crossed to pass (overtake) a vehicle which is moving at no more than 10 mph (bicycle, tractor etc.), as well as in some other cases specified by the UK Highway Code.

On the other hand, in other Euro countries a single solid line often means the same as a double solid.

In Germany, a single solid line mustn't be crossed in any case, just the same as if it were double solid. There, a double solid is just for putting a stress an the fact that you are driving on a two-way road. This is often the case with motorway junctions, three-/four-lane, two-way, single-carriageway highways and the like.
The Czech and Austrians, e.g., follow a very similiar pattern.

In Poland, single solid lines are in use on one-way carriageways only, and they mustn't be crossed in any case just the same as double solid lines on two-way carriageways.

Terring7

Quote from: daeley on March 24, 2010, 02:39:23 AMThere's a double solid line on very rare places where it basically means "overtake = guarantee for a painful death".

In Greece 2 lines are not something rare, it's the reality itself.

"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Wilfried

Looks like a construction zone, so what do you expect?

awake_78

No we rarely see one line or dashed line roads in Greece, only in fresh paved roads in mountainous areas. Usually it's double line in curves, semidashed and dashed in straights....
Basically the most of the times is hard to fined lines at all....
Specially now that we will bankrupt we won't see fresh paved roads or any lines in the near future...

j-dub

You guys too? I reside in the U.S. but we have our fair share of hard times too. I have seen vital road construction projects get canceled and older national highways are not in as good of shape as they should be.

awake_78

The thing you 've just described is good times for us....

Wilfried

Yeah the Greek politicians have been cheating for some 30 years, now leaving an enormous problem to the people there. In Greece, the average debt per citizen is around 7.5 times as high as in Poland. So, no new roads in Hellas for a long time. &apls