• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Unfinished projects...

Started by nerdly_dood, April 01, 2011, 10:36:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nerdly_dood

Welp, it's come time for me to suck it up and admit that I've got no more motivation to work on pretty much anything related to SimCity. And I've got 153 megabytes of unfinished business. I can't let this go to waste. I would absolutely love for someone to finish up what I've started.

Here are the things I had going on before I got bored with it all.

1. Dear old Glenni sent me a pack of models that I was to set up for use as Norwegian police vehicles. I think I got one of these working properly, but then I got bogged down with...

2. Trying to create a new flashing light animation. My plan for this is that it would use the same color texture and model for every frame, but the alpha map and U/V thingy would change in between frames in order to create the effect of flashing strobes, LEDs, halogen flashers, rotators, you name it. I am very picky with making sure that the flashing light effects look as realistic as possible when trying to replicate different types of flashing lights - if anyone tries to follow what I've begun they'll require a bit of teaching about them all, and they'll notice that immediately when they see the different individual vehicle models I've got, all with the only difference being a different lightbar on top of the car. If that's all too much to ask for, you can re-use animation effects (or different parts from them) from my completed mods available on the STEX.

3. I have a lot of vehicle textures with different vehicle paint jobs that are all just asking for a batch program to churn them all out at once from PNG to FSH. (They all use the same alpha map as they're all intended to use the same underlying model.)

4. I've got a number of different vehicle models that were waiting to be turned into real vehicle mods. The ones that immediately come to mind include ambulances, a hatchback, an SUV, and a fire truck. I had also intended to create an '80s-style police car by modifying my standard "Sedan" model - this specific one, like much of my modeling, would largely consist of moving the model's individual vertices to create a different shape while still keeping the same basic wireframe.

5. I have tinkered with the idea of modular file setups, which would be similar in operation to the Mac version of the NAM download to ensure that the people who want lots of options get lots of options, but I don't know how to create installer programs like the Windows version of the NAM. This would be tedious to work with so I'd also include a few pre-made options for anyone who can't be bothered with so many options for a cop car mod and just wants it to work properly and look good. If done as I hope, the number of Maxis default IIDs would be kept to a bare minimum (although this may require expanding beyond my own IID range, which if I recall correctly, is 0xE44-----.)

I'm looking for someone with really good knowledge of automata modding, mainly modeling and texturing. I try to limit models to 500 polys, and texture images are typically 256x256. I wouldn't even mind sending the file to multiple people so they could work on it together. Essential programs include Gmax, Milkshape3D, FiSHMan, ILive's Reader (I used and am most familiar with version 0.93) and an image editing program (I used PhotoFiltre.)

One problem with logistics is that, as mentioned above, this stuff is 153 megabytes. This is way too big to just dump on the STEX or LEX or whatever, and I'm not very familiar with sending big files to people. Yahoo Mail has a 25-megabyte limit to email attachments so if necessary I could split it up into separate attachments to multiple emails.

A link to my original SC4D development thread can be found in my sig. The STEX link is now broken - to find my STEX files you've got to do a creator search. My STEX username is the same as it is here.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Gwail

Well, sad to read this, Nerdly. I really like your work and I do hope you'll take a second breath some time  :thumbsup:.

From the othe hand, I'd like to handle the new flashing animation project, as we've spoken some time ago. Could you send me your files?
My misc works thread:
GWL workshop

nekseb

Bad news to read.... :'(

Thanks for your work in all the years!  &apls

I'm sorry that I'm not able to help to finish your work in process, only a tip for the 153MB-problem: Try out rapidshare. http://www.rapidshare.com/

All the best for the future!
I don't need to know everything, I only need to know someone who knows!

letum aut libertas

nerdly_dood

Quote from: Gwail on April 07, 2011, 12:51:43 AMWell, sad to read this, Nerdly. I really like your work and I do hope you'll take a second breath some time  :thumbsup:.

From the othe hand, I'd like to handle the new flashing animation project, as we've spoken some time ago. Could you send me your files?
PM sent.

Quote from: nekseb on April 07, 2011, 03:38:09 AMI'm sorry that I'm not able to help to finish your work in process, only a tip for the 153MB-problem: Try out rapidshare. http://www.rapidshare.com/
Very helpful, thanks!
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!