• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

JP Schriefer's BATs

Started by JP Schriefer, August 10, 2015, 07:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

romualdillo

Simply two masterpieces!!!  &apls

noahclem

That's a beautiful stadium  &apls. Seats look excellent for being placeholders :D  Those monumental ramps are going to make for an interesting lotting challenge. Might be worth looking into rendering ramps and second building separately to increase options and decrease rendering time.

kelis

Quote from: romualdillo on October 05, 2015, 03:09:56 PM
Simply two masterpieces!!!  &apls

I'm agree ! I can't wait to put my hands on them. I think they can fit very good on my japanese region, even if they are in Brazil  &apls &apls
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

JP Schriefer

Bipin, Girafe, Dantes, romualdillo and kelis: thank you very much for your comments, guys :)

art128: thank you. I'll try a stronger bump map. :)

reddonquixote: thank you, but Mineirão seatings texture looks horrible :D

noahclem: thank you, I want to to different options indeed :)

Last weeks I did absolutely nothing about batting due to university things, but this last days I had little time and decided to do something from Harry Potter Project of ST.

noahclem

Great looking model  &apls  Could be very useful to people not into Harry Potter as well  :thumbsup:

c.p.

I don't know the first thing about Harry Potter, but I like the model so far :thumbsup:

reddonquixote

Wow, this is off to a great start, well done!

Maybe just something to be aware of before you get too much further into the model, those buttresses along the side of the building start a little bit thicker at the base and get smaller, in tiers, as they move up the building. The idea of buttresses was to hold tall walls up (back before they invented steel frames  :D ), so they need to support the weight.

The detailing on the windows is superb  :thumbsup:
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

JP Schriefer

Noahclem: thank you :)

c.p.: thank you! But didn't you receive the Hogwarts acceptance letter when you turned 11? :D

reddonquixote: thank you! Nice to know that :)

Anyway, as you guys probably saw on Seraf's thread, he's also working with Hogwarts and doing an amazing job there, so I prefer to let the work to him :D

So Museu de Inconfidência is 99% modeled, I just need to model the boring balcony fence - oh how I hate that - and finish the stair railing.
I fixed the bricks and the roof repetitions and the cross-bar frames using reddonquixote tips and I used Jason strategy to test textures configurations and I think it looks better now indeed. I still think it's a bit saturated, especially the roof, but I'll change it again. I tried a clearer texture to those fences on the windows but it definitively doesn't look good.

vortext

time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

art128

I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

romualdillo

Great work, indeed!!!  &apls The modelling and texturing is fantastic, but the roof still looks a bit "flat". The ceramic tiles need a tile line on the roof hips, like this:

In my opinion the roof colour is OK. And for the balcony fences I create normally alpha maps, so I don't have to model everything. And in most cases the result looks better when rendered.

Kergelen

Links to SC4 websites

reddonquixote

Looking amazing JP... I agree the roof needs that extra bit of detailing but that's an easy thing to do :thumbsup:

The roof texture has enough bump on it the roofs look great, I will even forgive you for not modelling the roof tiles  :P
Pay heed to the tales of old wives. It may well be that they alone keep in memory what it was once needful for the wise to know.

vester

The museum looks great.

Quote from: romualdillo on December 12, 2015, 06:12:08 AM
Great work, indeed!!!  &apls The modelling and texturing is fantastic, but the roof still looks a bit "flat". The ceramic tiles need a tile line on the roof hips, like this:

[images deleted]

In my opinion the roof colour is OK. And for the balcony fences I create normally alpha maps, so I don't have to model everything. And in most cases the result looks better when rendered.

Would agree with romualdillo. Sometimes I add a spline along the top edges of the roofs. Then add some width to it. 
[Rendering]
Tick of:
- Enable In Rendering
- Enable In Viewport
- Generate Mapping Coords.

Now it just a matter of playing around with the texture settings.
Here is one texture I used for top tiles (not sure if its the right expression) :

JP Schriefer

vortext, art128, Kergelen: thank you very much!

romualdillo:
I did the ridges, thank you for that :)

Reddonquixote: thank you! I tried to model the roof tiles but I didn't look good this time and I want to finish this BAT soon, but I modeled the roof ridges.

vester: thank you! I did it.

Day version of Museu da Inconfidência is already rendered, now I just need to finish the night version.
I'm almost ready with Magnolia Building textures to start to render it as well, so I already started a new building to take it's place, can you guess which building is it? It's not so hard.
I choose it because it's a very different and interesting retrofit building and should fit well in SC4.

mattb325

It's looking very good so far - I love that all of the details are already evident prior to any texturing  :thumbsup:

JP Schriefer

Museu da Inconfidência is now available to download on the LEX: http://sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=3292

mattb325: thank you very much!

Now it looks better to guess. What I would really want to know from you is about that ugly wall in one of the sides. The building is w2w and it's really like that. I'm thinking about not do that way. Do you guys think that doing that side like the others will be better indeed? Only the bottom of the building being w2w.

Textures are just tests, including the ugly reflected map.

c.p.

Maybe if the W2W wall was narrower (maybe half as wide?), it would look good either on it's own, or up against another building. 

The building is an odd juxtaposition of styles.  The reflected glass actually doesn't look that bad to me.  I like the large room at the bottom of the tower (with the clear glass). :satisfied:

reddonquixote

This is looking really nice JP, great work. I agree with CP, the section at the base of the tower with the clear glass looks especially nice  :thumbsup:

Maybe the only thing I'd suggest is to try bumping up the IOR a little bit on the glass, not too much, but it just needs a little bit more shine I think. Otherwise its looking great.

In terms of the wall, I'd say go for realism everytime!  :D

seraf

December was a busy month for me but let me tell you, Museu da Inconfidência looks pretty great! And the new tower looks good, though I'm not really a fan of postmodernism :D And Merry Christmas! :)