• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Terraformed city tiles CTD

Started by TiFlo, October 04, 2010, 07:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TiFlo

Me again,

I am having this problem when trying to open 2 cities form my current region. They'd never been developed, and have only been terraformed using the SC4T. Whenever I try opening them in game, from the region screen, it CTD. Other cities in this region, including some already built, have been terraformed with the SC4T multiple time and have never showed trouble opening. Since I did not really know what was going wrong, I loaded a brand new region through the SC4T, launched the game, opened a few cities fine (without saving them), and finally got the exact same CTD. Now, all those (3) cities that crash on me are located on the North edge of both the blank new and the built map.

Does anyone know what is going on?

EDIT: I tried loading more blank cities on the new map, and I get a CTD almost every two cities, no matter the position on the region map. I'm at a loss....

Lowkee33

Strangeness.  Does a city that crashes always crash and a city that does not never crash?

I have been making a terrain mod and I get a CTD every so often.  See if a freshly downloaded (or backup) terrain/cliff/water/beach mod (and dependencies) still makes the game crash.

Basically these mods are textures that get referenced based upon in-game variables (snow texture at high altitudes, cliff texture at high slopes etc...).  If one of these references or textures is incorrect then you will CTD.

However, say something is wrong with your snow texture.  A low altitude city will work fine.  If you terraform it into mountains it will crash.

One thing to try is load a city that does work and terraform it to different slopes/heights.  If you can god-mode terraform and get it to use the "bad" texture and it crashes then I would defiantly say you have something wrong with your main terrain mod or the textures that it uses.

TiFlo

Cities that crash always do. And as far as I can tell, those that don't or never have won't.

The terrain mod and / or the altitude may have something to do with it. I haven't tested every single tiles, but those that do CTD all have the white colour (from the SC4T colour spectrum) of higher altitudes. Those lower seem to be fine.

I am using the CPT Meadowshire, like quite a few of us around her, so I don't see what could suddenly be wrong with it. I am also using a jagged edges mod, specifically that from Ennedi specially made to be used with the CPT Meadowshire mod. The one I have installed is for pushing snow higher up ("zzENN_CP_Meadowshire_Terrain_HigherSnowPatchDJEM"). But I don't recall previously having had any problems with that setup.

Lowkee33

If you empty your plugin folder will the cities crash? (I should have asked that first).  If so, then we could start to point towards Terraformer. 

The only reason Ennedi's mod would make a crash would be if your cliff texture is somehow corrupt. I believe you could use a different file than the one that matches your terrain mod and it still wouldn't crash.  If you can see cliffs in your cities that that is not a problem.

Do you have CPT_No3 and 4 and an Rock mod in your plugin folder?  They are essential for c.p. terrain mods to work. 

TiFlo

All right. It appears that the mistake initiated from the moron sitting in front of the screen, and had nothing to do with faulty software....  &apls
A few weeks ago, I installed PEG's PPond Rock mod and forgot to remove the "CPT_C_MeadowshireCliff_Optional" file from my plugins folder. As a result, every time I'd try to open a city tile that had snow in it or was at snow altitude (which is controlled by that particular file), the two files were conflicting resulting in a CTD.

I have now removed the optional Meadowshire file so as to keep PEG's, and everything seems to work as intended.

Thank you so much for your help Lowkee33, I really appreciate you taking some time to look into what now appears to be pretty obvious!