• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Rotating Models

Started by jplumbley, February 20, 2007, 07:10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jplumbley

I have never used Gmax before.  I have a primative background in AutoCAD modelling.  But dont want to get into BATing.

I am making lots and some of the models I wouldnt mind rotating on a 30 or 60 degree angle sometimes and build my lots around them.  What is the quickest and easiet way to do this?  I have BAT installed at home along with PIM.  Is there anything else needed for this little task of rotating models?

Obviously I can only do 90, 180, and 270 dergree rotations in LE.  A little tutorial would help immensely!

Thanks in advance!

JP
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

vester

Well, that can't be done within LE. You have to rotate the building within BAT (or AutoCAD) and then do an export.

JP: I have worked with AutoCAD too, but did not find it that hard to work with gmax.
I would say it maybe even be easier than, import a model from ACAD and then add textures to it.
You have to regroup everything. Tried it once, but gave up on it.

Reminds I better make an export of that model and get it into the game. Thanks for reminding me.

jplumbley

Hey Vester,

Thanks for the response.  I am not talking about models I have created myself but models that already have been textured and made into an SC4Model file.

Is it possible to take something like an SG building and rotate it in gmax from the SC4Model files?

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

wouanagaine

I don't think so jp

The SC4Models are fake 3D ( well they have a bit of 3D, but they can only be viewed from one point of view )
If you open a SC4Model with ilive reader, you will see what I mean ( check the wireframe view and rotate with left clicking on the 3D view )

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

jplumbley

I know what you mean wou!!  It seems kind of dumb IMO of Maxis/EA to have done that and not make it possible to open the SC4Model files in gmax.

I understand how the views are taken, and see them in iLive Reader.  The wireframes also only show the box that the FSHs are suppose to be shown on.  That saddens me a bit.

I hope someone else could help me with this... maybe... DT?... SG?... and give me the definative answer to whether it is possible.

I would like to make some more variety using the same models... Thats all!!

Thanks everyone!

Street Addon Mod - SAM

jeronij

It is possible to rotate a SC4Model inside Ilives Reader. You need an engineering master to do it however  ::)
You can manually change all the XYZ coordinated for every single vertex in a SC4Model. You have to manually update the data in the adequate fields, in the vertex tab. I think you have to manually retexture the S3D again.
I have never done this myself, because normally it is quicker to make the prop from scratch  ::)

The NAM foundator members are / were masters at this  $%Grinno$% !!!. I think Swamper could also give you a perfect technical explanation about this if you are still interested.

So, the answer to your question is yes, the SC4Models can be rotated, but I dont think the time it takes is worth it.

Oh, and you should manually rotate the 20 S3D's !!!
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

wouanagaine

EA/Maxis did that way because it save a massive amount of cpu/gpu/ram
Yes you can technically rotate the SD3, but you won't get the correct perspective from the rendered FSH
It is impossible to get a good looking rotated SD3
See the SD3 as a pure flat quad with the FSH texture mapped onto that quad. You can't get the 3rd dimension from a flat billboard

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

jplumbley

I understand why Maxis\EA did what they did, I just dont understand why they couldnt have a separate file or set of files that are nto used by the game or loaded by the game that are there for the gmax models.

I also agree with you wou on the rotating the S3D files... not in my best interest I dont think.  Im thinking I may forget about it unless I get the courage to ask the modellers for some of their gmax original files if they still have them.  I just hope I wouldnt have to re-texture them, because I like the textures already!

Street Addon Mod - SAM