• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Carnode

Started by Menotyou, January 28, 2007, 09:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Menotyou

And, with this post I join others with a MD at SC4D. Carnode is a region that I made myself. You might of seen it at "show us your terraforming," and it is the first map I have made with SC4T, or at all. I just started working on working the map. This is going to be as realistic as I can make it.
First a region shot of the corner that I'll be starting with.

And the first city that I'll be working on is Anduin's Delta, named i honor of Darmok and his awesome CJ, and the other reason is a secret, but I'm sure that some one will find out. I'm also a big LOTR fan...

I know that the power lines are massively ugly, and I wise there was a different way to get power around but, I haven't found one.

Critisism is welcome.

Gaston

Menotyou,
   I really like the street textures you used.     Very nice in my opinion.    Sets your MD apart a bit.   As far as the power line goe there are some really good powerlines out there that will change the look of them.     Or you could download a radius doubler which would extend the range of the power grid.    To me it is sorta like laying under ground cables for you power.    Just a thought.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

Menotyou

Okay thanks. Anything can be better than Maxis ones. I'll go look for some others.

Edit: I couldn't find any of the power lines or the mod that makes the radius bigger. Do you have links to them.

Edit: I was just wondering if I should release the map. If anyone wants it I can give it to you.

And I have some more shots from Anduin's Delta.

dedgren

Hi, Menotyou

I just basically ran through here on the way to bed- couldn't not comment, though-

QuoteI know that the power lines are massively ugly, and I wise there was a different way to get power around but, I haven't found one.

Power poles are a fact of life in the built environment.  Work with them, not against them.  If they really are obtrusive in a particular place, localize your power generation with "game" turbines (not everyone's flavor of the month, I know) or other solutions such as mrbisonm's Village Battery [linkie].

That's one mommajamma covered bridge!

Thanks for taking the plunge into MDland- Lookin' forward to comin' back by soon.

Off to bed.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

emilin

A nice start.

Some things I really like. The use of Gizmo's flora along the river side is brilliant. I like the rock and terrain mods very much too. And some of the buildings are really nice (looking forward to seeing more of them in further updates).

I do think you need to manage some of the slopes a little better (especially along the river sides), but other than that it looks really nice.

Stay on it! :thumbsup:

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

bat

Wonderful start! Fantastic region! :thumbsup:

NikNik

Nice start.
Hint 1) Turn the grid off (by pressing G) before making a picture
Hint 2) Powerlines are indede ugly. Nice ones are : SFBT Rural Power Lines By Spocky
These are great for flat rural areas.
Hint 3) If you do not like the Maxis power poles this one is an absolute must, much nicer: High Tension Poles by Fukuda.
'twas a bit difficult to find on STEX as Fukuda did not describe these poles as power poles.

Anyhow, my power transition search derived me from your CJ. It's a great start. interesting region. Well made  &apls

Nik-Nik

Menotyou

I have some more shots from Anduin's Delta. Does anyone know why I named it that?
I'm just a LOTR fan...
I know that the shots are from mostly the same area. It takes me awhile to makea real looking area. I also know that the grid is on. I just found it out after I took them, and so the shots after this will not have the grid on.

Gaston

Thanks NikNik and David for answering the question about the power lines for me.     I couldn't remember who made um but I knew I had um.   lol   As to the radius doubler, it is over on ST in the mods section. [Utility Radius Mod]   I have it and have found it very useful.    I think I have one of the middle values loaded so it seems a bit more realistic.   Hopefully that helped.    And your MD is looking damm good.  Keep it up.

---Gaston
白龍

WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

Menotyou

Thanks Gaston. This is the first time I have tried to make a region more realistic. If you have seen Eniyi over at ST, it is likely the most unrealistic CJ or MD around.

Also does anyone want the map? I could put up on the LEX, but I'm not sure that anyone would really want it.

-Caleb

And some more shots.

Menotyou

Sorry for the double post, but I have finished the six islands and am going to work on mainland.

Hope you like them! :thumbsup:

-Caleb

Gaston

Excellent update Menotyou.    I really thing it is comming along nicely.    Very well done terraformming eye candy (the logs and such)   Keep up the great work.

---Gaston
白龍

Menotyou

I have the last update of the day. I have moved on to the main land, and have set up the first highway, 492. The highway moves over the top of the mountain and is the shortest way around the mountains.

If you think that those roads are steep, you should of seen them before I got the Tunnel and Slope mod by the great jeronij. The roads just went straight up the mountain.

Hope you like them
-Caleb

petercintn

Nice start Caleb.  Good work with the terraforming.  With me it's terrorforming.  So I salute you.
Carolina Tar Heels... National Champs again!

wouanagaine

Nice, I like the Wounagaine channel :) and the road on the slopy mountains

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

bat

Wonderful pictures and great road and many trees  :thumbsup:

dedgren

Mny...

Wasn't Richard Dreyfuss in that one? [linkie]

...I've never had a shipping channel named after me...cool!

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Darmok

Hi Menotyou,

Very interesting start!

The terraforming is very well done with good variety so far, and it is an honor for me having your first city named after my CJ sorry MD ermmm no I was right mine is still a CJ yours is an MD (am I making any sense here!!!), thanks for the attention!
One thing I like very much in your MD is the originality, you're doing it your way and that is great!  :thumbsup: The more variety we have the better!

I'll follow

Take care
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=112.last#last

If you have a closed mind, do the same with your mouth

Menotyou

Thanks for all of the comments, everybody. I going to be working on the mountain area next.

-Caleb

wouanagaine

very well done Menotyou  &apls
I like when people show their SC4TF experiments :)

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4