• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Help a noob understand BSC mods

Started by sc4guy2023, February 11, 2023, 06:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sc4guy2023

I'm trying to work with the BSC mods but it's really not clear at all how they work or even what they do. For a first timer trying to install them, nothing about their descriptions makes any sense. I've downloaded several BSC modpacks from LEX and installed them per the instructions, but nothing is happening in-game. It just isn't clear how to use the BSC mods, what they even do, or how to even use them. Can anyone point me to a well written tutorial explaining the installation process in detail? The very limited information provided on the modpack pages doesn't help.

Tyberius06

Hi!

Technically these are not modpacks. There aren't really any modpacks currently for SC4. BSC mods are just like any other regular plugins/addons for Simcity 4 (there are a few exceptions which are more complicated, like the Network Addon Mod). BSC used to be a team, a group of people who created custom contents, plugins for SC4. There were other teams and many many more individual creators.
If you downloaded BSC Mega Props XYZ vol## packs, those are so called dependency packs. A collection of models and props or textures. These elements are supporting files only for other contents. By themselves they won't show up in any ingame menus. The ploppable and/or growable LOTs are using these objects, when these LOTs show up in game, that's when the supporting objects are appearing on these LOTs.

But it would be good to know what you did download, so we could address more precisely your questions.

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

sc4guy2023

Thanks for the reply, Tyberius. If I'm understanding correctly, I need to download LOT/ploppable files that work with the dependency pack. In my case, I'm using:
  • BSC Textures Vol 01
  • BSC MEGA Props SG Vol01 v2
  • BSC Essentials
I would extract these three into /plugins/bsc and then need to download more files somewhere else that then go with the packs. Correct?
I guess what's not clear in the LEX is what LOT/ploppables go with the pack. Is there a way to know?

mgb204

So the problem is you are working the wrong way around, Dependencies don't have a list of files that use them, rather files that use them have a list of Dependencies they need.

So in the first instance you should look for lots that you want in your game, then pay attention to the needed dependencies and ensure you have them all. Note that you might have many files that all use the same dependencies, some packs are more commonly used than others. In these cases you only need one copy of the dependency, so when installing such files, try to organise things so you can easily know if you already have a given file.

sc4guy2023

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. I think I get it. I'll have to poke around more later. Here in the last day I've started getting some kind of bug that's crashing my game. Going to make another forum post, because I'm thinking it might be NAM related. Thanks for your help.