• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

VDK Bats

Started by vester, August 16, 2013, 03:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vester

Yes Joan, here in Denmark we have a tradition for copper roofs. In Copenhagen the copper ends up even more green, due to sea close by. It add some salt to the air, which that give a more lively color on the copper.

Slowly working my way around the model adding more and more details to it. There are a few places where I have use textures instead of modelling. One place all the details is in shadow or see from the side, so the different can't be seen anyway.

EDIT:
A close up of the Christian IV's chapel:

DebussyMan

The modelling looks great! I'm just sad you're using that ungodly mentalray to render it... to me it just ruins such a great piece  ()sad()

Visit my new MD: Emerita Augusta 1910 - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15184.0

RepublicMaster

This is looking really good! Perhaps you should take DebussyMan's advice. :)

art128

Fantastic work Arne.

The wall at the right of the Christian IV's chapel, in the shadows is made of textures, right?
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Girafe

Very nice details on this side  :)

Keep going on this side  &apls &apls
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

noahclem

Very impressive project  &apls  Amazing detail!

vester

Thank you all. Your comments are appreciated.

Quote from: DebussyMan on October 12, 2013, 06:56:36 PM
The modelling looks great! I'm just sad you're using that ungodly mentalray to render it... to me it just ruins such a great piece  ()sad()

I am using 3ds Max 2014 and with Simfox version of bat4max I think you are more or less lucked to mental ray. Haven't figur out how to turn it to scandline for the export. Might try out using ChrisAdams bat4max.

Quote from: art128 on October 13, 2013, 01:50:33 AM
The wall at the right of the Christian IV's chapel, in the shadows is made of textures, right?

Spot on! :thumbsup:

Been working on the apse behind the choir, on some fixed fire ladders and an entrance at the top of them.

FrankU

A very interesting mix of architectural styles! Beautiful church and your model will be very welcome.

vester

Doing some good progress:

West side

South side

East side

North side

[Click on the images to enlarge]

Frank: It was building over along period of time. In the four big chapels Kings and Queens are buried. Most of the Danish Kings are buried in the cathedral.

Most of the main structure of the church was finish, when a fire in bough out 1282.
At this time only the southern tower was finished. The northern tower is assumed being finished around 1400.
For a long time the towers stood with plain flat roofs. Around 1500 they got pitched roofs.
The towers got their around the same time as Christian IVs chapel was build. That is the one in Dutch Renaissance style with all the statues.
The chapel was build in 1614-42 and the towers got the spires in 1635-36.

The small spire, the Margrethe Spire over the crossing was build around 1420.

The first royal chapel the Chapel of the Magi (Christian I's Chapel) was build in 1459. (The one right of the towers in the first pictures).
A lot of changes has been going on, on the church. Two big renovations was done where the church changed appears. The last one, the west portal changed (the walls between the two towers) and the western entrance was changed. The old was moved to Copenhagen.

The last chapel was added in 1917-24 (to left of the towers in 1st pictures).

Have a lot of good pictures, but they are in a book. A good book with floor plains, elevations and sections drawings in scale. :D
A strange scale that is, 1:300, but in scale non the less.

vester

Been working the southern transept wall:

Swordmaster

Looking great my friend! Good progress.

Cheers
Willy

kelis

What a fantastic model !! You are doing a good job, keep it up  :thumbsup:
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

vortext

It's exciting to watch the progress.  :thumbsup:

Quote from: vester on September 27, 2013, 09:30:06 PM
Quote from: vortext on September 27, 2013, 10:43:58 AM
How're the oldies doing?!

Who are you talking about  ?

The other church.  :)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Jmouse

I seem to recall seeing this model, or one similar, quite some time ago not long after you started on it. If this is the one I think it is, we discussed the detail work (last photo). You said the tiny statuary would not be visible in game, but you would know it's there. It is an attitude like that toward modeling which defines your work, and makes it a cut above so many others IMO.

vester

Thank you Joan. Means a lot. :D

After a few CTDs, I manages to make this preview:

At the moment I am working on the porch in the north east corner. (Closed by in the picture)

Still dancing around the big spires. Haven't got the shaped figured out....
Had a view to the cathedral for 12 years....

A lot of small stuff, like dormers, crosses, top of the spires ect.
The old church is still in the queue at the moment.

Girafe

I like the attention you pay on all the details  ;)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Kergelen

wow, it looks amazing &apls

Love the brick textures.

Links to SC4 websites

rooker1

This might be one of the best and most complicated models you have ever done. It's fast becoming my favourite, that's for sure.

Robin &apls
Call me Robin, please.

vester

Thank you all.

All the mayor things done:

Swordmaster

Why does this remind me of Lego? Maybe because of your Danish-ness :P

Great job Arne. I'm curious as to how it'll look in game. Only note I have is that the copper plates on the spires look a little long. Maybe it's just me, or the angle we're seeing it from.

Cheers
Willy