• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

sumwonyuno's Honolulu BATs

Started by sumwonyuno, March 23, 2011, 01:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sumwonyuno

Hello everyone,

I've been recreating various buildings in Honolulu for use in SimCity.  I've decided that there needs to be a dedicated thread in the BAT topic to get feedback as quickly as possible.

Released BATs:

Central Pacific Plaza
http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/25798-central-pacific-plaza/

Frank F Fasi Municipal Building
http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/files/file/26008-frank-f-fasi-municipal-building/

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!

peter007

Well I think it's great. First I thought it were a bit of boring textures but when I saw the RL pic. I realized that the building in RL is a bit boring too.
But that doesn't take away your phenomenal moddeling skills

sumwonyuno

@peter007:  Thank for for the compliment.  I've gotten a few complaints about the textures... it has to be realized the RL building doesn't have that much detail that is visible in game.  I'm working on achieving a less uniform texture look.
@Buzzit:  Thanks!   ;)

For everyone,

Proposed changes:
All buildings:  Stretched 125% vertically, and modified relevant statistics and files for increased volume.
Central Pacific Plaza:  Changed required roads from Bottom Left Corner to Front, so it does not need to be built at a particular corner.
Frank F Fasi Municipal Building:  Texture changes, additional roof junk, inclusion of night lights on south and north faces.

I haven't uploaded updated versions of the buildings yet because the changes are still a work in progress.  Once there is a consensus, I'll update the files on the STEX.  If anyone has additional suggestions, do tell.

Now, does anyone know how to apply a gradient map over multiple blocks?  I'm using GMAX.  I've been trying to figure out how to create a progressively darkened look toward the bottom of the Frank F Fasi Municipal Building.  For single blocks, it's easy because you can just mess with the texture.  It won't work for those series of horizontal blocks on the south and north face of the building.  The triangle columns on the west and east faces need this gradient too, but it already has a specular level map in use (for a horizontal line look).

metarvo

Good work, Sumwonyuno.  :thumbsup:  When the BAT looks virtually identical to the real thing, you know you're doing something right.  I have to agree with you about the vertical stretch.  It's a necessary element of just about any BAT in SC4 if you want to avoid the dreaded BAT squash.  The change in required roads is good as well, because it makes the building that much more growable.  With required roads set to front, it can still grow in a corner, but it can also grow without a corner as well.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

sumwonyuno

@metarvo:  Thanks!  I see these buildings every day on the bus to school.  ;D  The corner choice seemed right at the time, because I was doing a recreation.  Since other users are doing other things, restricting availability may not be a good usability choice.

To everyone,

Here is the north day/night zoom 5 shoot of the (slightly) retextured Frank F Fasi Municipal Building.

I figured out how to do the texture over multiple blocks. I used the rectangle tool + extend, then I attached them all in spline editing mode. I then used a UVW map, and chose the box setting. I wish I found out these things sooner.

If there are no objections, I am planning to upload the new version of Central Pacific Plaza and the Frank F Fasi Municipal Building sometime next week (by April 8th).

[Edit] From Simtropolis:

I've redone the textures, again, to put in a grainy, aged, and varied shade look on the concrete.  I've also added some rectangular planters on the level 1 roof.

sumwonyuno

I've implemented various suggestions from Simtropolis for the Frank F Fasi Municipal Building, and here are the latest results:

[Edit]  I've also uploaded an updated version of Central Pacific Plaza on the STEX.  If you've already downloaded the original version, please update to the new one (remove all previous versions in your plugins folder and cities).

peter007

Great textures. They look a lot better

Why aren't there any trees at the bottom of the building?

supremec

Click on the banner to see my BATs

sumwonyuno

@supremec:  Thanks!

@peter007:  There are a couple of trees on the other sides of the building.  There isn't much space left on a 4x3 lot.  I also aim for no external dependencies, so I use Maxis flora.