• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NWM (Network Widening Mod) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, May 03, 2007, 08:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glazert

Nicely sinuous. Good news about other developments with OWR.

JoeST

That is sec(c) for all c between fantastic and amazing. you guys are a MACHINE! a glorious glorious machine :D
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: JoeST on April 28, 2012, 10:40:58 AM
you guys are a MACHINE!

I wouldn't say a machine; After all, there were a number of hurdles to overcome. The hurdle for OWR curves were getting the end stubs right, the reason why we never had OWR curves for so long.
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

roadgeek

Fantastic! I am truly geek-ed up  :thumbsup: I can hardly wait!
Just counting down the months, weeks, days, hours, minutes, seconds, nanosecondsuntil this comes out. RL sucks.

Alex, EA should hire you for the new release of Sim City that is coming out in January. It would be our loss, but it would be worth it.

Just one question: Have S curves been done?

MandelSoft

Working on some Euro Textures for the NWM again. Here's the NMAVE-4 set, completely finished (was not hard to finish, only 78 textures):

The whole set is attached to this post

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: roadgeek on May 03, 2012, 05:20:07 AM
Just one question: Have S curves been done?

S-curves for some of the wider networks have been done already.

Unfortunately, much of the NWM development has been put on hold due to RHW development.
<INACTIVE>
-----

ivo_su

Maarten awesome!
I have long dreamed of Euro-textures of NWM and now it becomes fact. Hopefully there is an option to re-texture mod only NWM without prejudice standard Maxi's (Road, OWR and street). Also a small note I can say that here in Bulgaria NMAVE-4 has a double white continuous line, not a single as the picture. However you are always doing great things, so I have no word here.

kbieniu7

Yes, that's the detail, that also caught my eye. I saw some photos from other European coutries*, everywhere roads like NMAVE-4 had double solid line. What is more crossing this line should be always forbidden.

*I say "other countries", because in Poland opposite directions are divided by double solid always. So, if in reality it looks other than I think, I agree that I could be wrong.

But of course great work! Looks horribly nice :thumbsup:
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Tilarium

Having some trouble widing my avenues.  The widening transitions can't be placed over an existing avenue and if I bulldoze a section and then place the transition it defaults back to the regular avenue when I try and connect the widened end to the existing avenue.  This is on a fresh install of the game (less then a week ago) with fresh DLs of NWM and NAM (less then a week ago).  Anyone have any idea how to fix this issue?  The roads and the OWRs work fine, it's just the aves that are being difficult.

GDO29Anagram

Having a picture (and identifying which networks than just saying "AVEs") really helps.
<INACTIVE>
-----

Tilarium

Regular in game avenues.  But it's alright, because I figured it out a solution  :D  I just plopped down the starter pieces and used that to get it to form.

Wacky Worm

Are you dragging Maxis avenue or road from the starters? You should be dragging road.

Blue Lightning

For those of you who have used OWR-4 and noticed performance degradation, this patch (attached to this post) will fix that at the expense of causing OWR-5 style "upstream swimming," although it's purely visual and does not affect simulation.

This patch is purely optional and non-critical and only for people who have performance issues using OWR-4.
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

AngryBirdsFan436

Hello I have a problem on dragging an AVE-6 over a Maxis Highway. The cars disappear when they pass either the Highway over the AVE-6 or the AVE-6 under the highway. Can somebody help?
SC4 + NAM = 20% Cooler!

AngryBirdsFan436

SC4 + NAM = 20% Cooler!

Tarkus

The path file on the center tile of the TLA-7 appears to be corrupted.  Try this out (place in your NWM folder).

-Alex

jdenm8

LHD users are not affected, I can't reproduce it.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

ivo_su

May I ask what happens to date with NWM and whether it is behind your attention because of the notorious ultra stability. If not mistaken I knew it would hardly occur this year AVE-8/TLA-9 this true?
Will there be new pieces for Tuleps - previously mentioned hyper intersection, which will be able to connect from all directions as networks OWR-4/5 and thus to build huge avenues. Overall, everything in NWM is in a fog and confusion - at least for me. Have shown elevated networks AVE-6, if not Ill lie there such a trend and what are the networks that are selected for L-2?
Do not forget to mention that Alex (Tarkus) is very close to his 7000 comments

Tarkus

Right now, the NWM is in "standby mode".  There's a few small additions finished (OWR-1 and OWR-3 wide radius curves, the multi-tile S-Curves), and a few I'll be sneaking in at the end (new transitions based on the textures supplied by michi_cc and Dexter).  The crosslinking with the RHW will be vastly improved as part of the P57 project, and there might even be some SAM crosslinking.  But beyond that, NWM and TuLEPs aren't really in active development right now.

That said, as the RHW will be in much better shape with this next NAM release, I am planning to shift my attention primarily toward NWM and TuLEPs additions for NAM Version 32, and I have a lot planned, and even some preliminary groundwork in place for it.

I've already applied the OxD/DxD same-network fixes I did for the RHW to the Road and One-Way Road networks, which means that certain diagonal NWM intersections will be easier to make now.  Additionally, as of last night, I managed to develop a Photoshop technique to "procedurally" generate diagonal intersection textures from their orthogonal counterparts, using a little trigonometry.

I can crank the textures out for such intersections now in just a few minutes.  Which is good, because with 13 NWM networks, there's an absurd number of intersection possibilities (over one thousand).  :D

Elevated networking will probably be the highest priority for the next set of updates to the NWM system, and the following networks are planned to get both L1 and L2 versions:

• AVE-2
  • AVE-6
  • AVE-8
  • ARD-3
  • NRD-4
  • RD-4
  • RD-6
  • OWR-3
  • OWR-4
  • OWR-5

The TLAs and the OWR-1 will not be getting elevated versions.  The reason for no elevated TLAs is obvious, and the OWR-1 is kind of a "street-ish" network.  The AVE-8/TLA-9 is in a holding pattern at present, as I'm still debating whether or not to change its underlying network setup.  It has been a fully Road-based setup like the AVE-6/TLA-7, but I'm also considering a Road/OWR "hybrid" approach.

Beyond that, fractional angles are also on the docket . . . and the "procedural" technique I used to generate the RD-6/Road OxD intersection above also works for fractional angle intersections (though again, there's an absolutely absurd number of possible configurations).

The TuLEP plans are a bit more hazy at the moment.  I'm closer to having a nomenclature to work with the "advanced" setups, but folks are going to have to keep in mind that it's going to be a system for the "hardcore" users who want (and can handle) minute control over their road systems.  It's going to require a lot (and I really mean a lot) of pressing TAB to navigate it.  When I'm ready to discuss TuLEP developments further, after the next NAM, I'll be bringing the TuLEPs thread back into active duty.

-Alex

ivo_su