• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RealRailway (RRW) - Development and Support

Started by Swordmaster, June 14, 2013, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swordmaster

Awesome! Interesting comparison; your poles are quite well scaled I think. It's maybe a pity in this view the wire overlaps exactly the outer rail. Not sure it can or needs to be fixed though.

@vinlabsc3k: it's very unlikely there will be crosslinks of L3 RHW over L2 RRW. That sounds really unnecessary to me, especially since there will be L1 RRW. Hence, L2 RHW over L1 RRW is much more likely. I'm not even sure to what level L2 RRW should be brought. That'll need some thinking

Cheers
Willy

vinlabsc3k

In the end it's the same problem, ??? but I was not referring only to the overlap of the networks, but also to a more homogeneous appearance of the catenaries. :-[

I prefer the old style for the catenaries, it's more "neutral", so if someone wants a specific style, it requires after the release, but this is only my opinion. /&HiPP/%
My creation at CityBuilders.

SimCity 5 is here with the NAM Creations!!

Gugu3

Geometry123

Eggman, you are under arrest by the Walrus for murdering the default Rail textures and killing us all due to epicness overload... $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%
You will never know when will the next NAM be released. Only time teasing will tell. :P

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game"
                                                 -Ocean Quigley

strucka

Wow this is indeed something all of us detail seekers are wishing for. And it looks of course stunning. The catenaries themselves looked great, but this is just getting to perfection.

But does this mod work? Of course the straight lines are not problematic, but what about slopes and curves? There were issues with those as I am aware, are those issue overcome now?

noahclem

Both styles of centenaries look excellent and so much nicer with the wires  &apls &apls  I'm actually not sure which I like more. I'm also curious about the slope functionality, particularly with diagonals.

eggman121

Thanks for the comments guys  :thumbsup: I am surprised by the results myself.
Quote from: Swordmaster on December 19, 2013, 05:43:54 AM
Awesome! Interesting comparison; your poles are quite well scaled I think. It's maybe a pity in this view the wire overlaps exactly the outer rail. Not sure it can or needs to be fixed though.

I think you mean the parapet or the outer railing on the bridge if I'm not mistaken. Please correct me if I am wrong. But I don't see the problem yet.  ???

Quote from: strucka on December 19, 2013, 09:18:53 AM
Wow this is indeed something all of us detail seekers are wishing for. And it looks of course stunning. The catenaries themselves looked great, but this is just getting to perfection.

But does this mod work? Of course the straight lines are not problematic, but what about slopes and curves? There were issues with those as I am aware, are those issue overcome now?

Quote from: noahclem on December 19, 2013, 10:15:51 AM
Both styles of centenaries look excellent and so much nicer with the wires  &apls &apls  I'm actually not sure which I like more. I'm also curious about the slope functionality, particularly with diagonals.

Slope functionality as been part of the wires from the get go. You can see my prototype on page 3 of this thread with the wires slope conforming. I will show it again now.

Orthogonal

Diagonal

As for curves I have finished the Mini Curves for DTR and only the curves. Not the turnouts. I have set things up so when I make the right curve I can also obtain the left curve wires with minimal effort.

I understand that users may want different poles so I am creating different poles for different tastes but I will only make one set of wires so the poles must conform to the height restrictions set by the wires. A bit odd but wires will probably run into thousands of different props.

Hope this has answered some questions.

-eggman121

Kuewr665

Both look great, though I like my consistency. Nice job!

Only one set of wires? Does that mean the L2 top wires would still be higher than others?

eggman121

Sorry to double post but I think it will be worth it.

Quote from: Kuewr665 on December 19, 2013, 02:27:31 PM
Both look great, though I like my consistency. Nice job!

Only one set of wires? Does that mean the L2 top wires would still be higher than others?

Hello Kuewr665. I will probably make two types of wires for L2 since there is more height liberty and less props to make. It will only occur on the L2 Viaducts. the rest of the wires will be standardized to a single set.

-BATing your own Poles

Here is the comparison between What I call Type A poles and Type B Poles. If any BATer would like to make there own poles than here are the dimensions of the L0 poles I am making. I know that there is a wide variety of poles around the world and that there may be requests for other style of poles so instead of trying to gather information and BATing the poles I will open up to the community and ask that if there is a style of pole that you want that you at least attempt to BAT it.

Here are the rules

All poles must be centered on the Y axis relative to the wire holder and the wire holder must be centered on the X axis if it a single pole or the the center of the entire pole if it is a pole with two wire holders for DTR track or a dual pole/ gantry.

Here is an image of what I mean...

As you can see the Type A poles have a total height of 7.0 m and Type B poles have a total Height of 6.5 m

The wires will be standardized to a bottom wire height of 5.75 m to give some liberty to train BATers as requested by Vester.

If you do decide to make poles I only need the orthogonal poles if you plan to send me them in gmax format. I can make the rest of the poles from there.

Hope to see what other types of poles are out there.

-eggman121

Gugu3

Great job eggman!this project is becoming more and more interesting &apls &apls &apls

Swordmaster

Thank you Alex.  :party:

To install the RRW versions of the WRC and FARR pieces, you also need to select those options. Same goes with Single Track Rail (STR).

As a reminder, you need to redraw (click or drag on) existing rail networks to make the conversion.

I don't recall if I mentioned this here already: Viaduct rail is supported to a limited extent (on-slope pieces, overpasses, ortho, dia, OxO and WRC pieces). The narrow curves and switches would need new models; yet viaduct rail will be revamped in the future so consider the current setup as a temporary placeholder to integrate the viaducts with your ground-level RRW.

As stated before this is only an initial release. It won't blow up your cities, but bugs may prevail. We encourage everyone to post any and all bugs they find in the Pre-release support topic. :thumbsup:

Cheers
Willy

droric

Eggman,

I am creating some railway signals that will conform to your standards.  I wondered if you had the exact distance for the question mark in the image below.  Thanks in advance!

PC Specs: i2700k @ 4.9 Ghz, 16 GB @ 1600-8-9-8-16, 2X GTX 580 SLI, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R, 120 GB Vertex 3 SDD, 3 TB RAID1, 1200W SilentGold, Antec P180B case, Win 8 x64 Pro

eggman121

Quote from: droric on December 20, 2013, 01:20:37 PM
Eggman,

I am creating some railway signals that will conform to your standards.  I wondered if you had the exact distance for the question mark in the image below.  Thanks in advance!

To answer you question the distance is 2.5 m. I did not include that dimension initially since It can vary. Maybe a bit close But poles are the easier parts to make so I can modify them if needed as opposed to wires.

To ask another question. If you are making railway signals are you planning to place them on a transit enabled lot or are you going to t21 them onto switches? If you are going the transport enabled lot version I will be making some props soon for stations and TE Lots and I will make them available to you. If you are going to t21 them we will have to work together since the t21s will conflict with each other. Same goes for level crossing cross-bucks and other related T21 props.

-eggman121 

MandelSoft

I have another question for you. I would like to make another set of models, but where do you use Type A and where do you use Type B?
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

droric

Quote from: eggman121 on December 20, 2013, 02:01:19 PM
To answer you question the distance is 2.5 m. I did not include that dimension initially since It can vary. Maybe a bit close But poles are the easier parts to make so I can modify them if needed as opposed to wires.

To ask another question. If you are making railway signals are you planning to place them on a transit enabled lot or are you going to t21 them onto switches? If you are going the transport enabled lot version I will be making some props soon for stations and TE Lots and I will make them available to you. If you are going to t21 them we will have to work together since the t21s will conflict with each other. Same goes for level crossing cross-bucks and other related T21 props.

-eggman121

My original idea was to simply have an offset lot with the signals overhead.  I am thinking of making an end piece for 1 track then a 2 track extender, 3 track etc.  The end piece would go on one end of the rails and the other 2, 3, 4 or more rail piece would go on the other to complete the tower.  Here is a quick screenie of what I currently have.  If you have any suggestions I am more than open to them as I am not very familiar with T21s yet and how they can be used, spaced etc.

The pic is a WIP I started this morning so it doesn't have the lights or any texturing yet (Just a vraydirt map).  The picture would be of the 1 track half piece.  The framing is pretty close to completed but I might make adjustments once I start exporting and checking in game.  It's so hard to tell which details will be visible in game because of the alpha blending.  When I BAT i almost always use transparency on the model because the alpha mask is blended against the background and gives a better appearance.

Update:  Added a clay render of the model with a symmetry modifier.  Most of the modeling is finished on it.

PC Specs: i2700k @ 4.9 Ghz, 16 GB @ 1600-8-9-8-16, 2X GTX 580 SLI, Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3R, 120 GB Vertex 3 SDD, 3 TB RAID1, 1200W SilentGold, Antec P180B case, Win 8 x64 Pro

eggman121

Hello MandelSoft

To answer your question the top wire or messenger wire has a top height of 7.0 m and a sagging height of 6.5m as shown below...

The purpose of the Type A and Type B wires is to fit these heights of the wire since some sections of track may be needed to have shorter poles such as track ends. There will also be sections with only Type B poles where the spacing is only 16 m between poles so I can pass the wire under L1 bridges this will be achieved by making the T21 conform to wealth and lot conditions through zone and wealth mapping. I will show a picture of what I mean when I make the wires.
Also curves such as mini-curves only have type b wires depending where the wires are placed.
The Type B wires as I will call them for orthogonal and Diagonals will have no sagging with a consistent height of 6.5 m for ease of BATing and will be suited to Type B poles.
I hope that explains everything.

Quote from: droric on December 20, 2013, 03:13:41 PM
My original idea was to simply have an offset lot with the signals overhead.  I am thinking of making an end piece for 1 track then a 2 track extender, 3 track etc.  The end piece would go on one end of the rails and the other 2, 3, 4 or more rail piece would go on the other to complete the tower.  Here is a quick screenie of what I currently have.  If you have any suggestions I am more than open to them as I am not very familiar with T21s yet and how they can be used, spaced etc.

The pic is a WIP I started this morning so it doesn't have the lights or any texturing yet (Just a vraydirt map).  The picture would be of the 1 track half piece.  The framing is pretty close to completed but I might make adjustments once I start exporting and checking in game.  It's so hard to tell which details will be visible in game because of the alpha blending.  When I BAT i almost always use transparency on the model because the alpha mask is blended against the background and gives a better appearance.

Hello droric

You should not have a problem if you are just going to offset the signals on a separate lot. I still need to finalize the details but I am going to making a set of Type B Wires which will be unhidden when a civic plopped high wealth zone mapping. This is going to be so the wires will be flush with the transport enabled stations. So to keep the normal wires just use LEprop editor to change the wealth of you lot. I'm sure that you have used that tool before ;) Nice signals BTW  :thumbsup:. I think you have the correct method since the T21s can only be placed on the exact network tile.

-eggman121     

droric

Most of the railway towers around me are pretty weathered so I used a pretty rusted metal texture for the framing.  I don't know if this is a little much though.  It does seems to fit in pretty well though with the ballast colors though.  Props seem to come out much better when rendered using VRay without an AA filter kinda how the old scanline renderer used to work.  I have yet to see textures that don't line up using BAT4MAX6 (WIP).

I do notice a problem with high wealth though it seems to be overriding the base texture of the railway.  The lot is current an elementary school with high wealth if that makes any difference.

whatevermind

I think it needs to be a tad darker. Right now it comes of more pink than rusty. Beautiful model work though!

jdenm8

If there's Diesel traffic especially, that frame will be much darker. It looks good, but may be overkill for a Single-Track line. They have a tendency to use standard poles.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley