• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RealRailway (RRW) - Development and Support

Started by Swordmaster, June 14, 2013, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

c.p.

Great work guys &apls

It's great to see so much happening here lately :thumbsup:

compdude787

Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Swordmaster

Thanks folks. Some more of that stuff:

Bonus:

Cheers
Willy

compdude787

Wait, is it draggable now? Either way, that's awesome! :thumbsup: &apls &apls &apls  :D
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

mgb204

Very cool, I suspect I'll be using a lot more rail viaducts in the near future.

Are these new ones going to remain compatible with existing texture overrides, such as those in RUM for RRW/NAM? I hope so, but either way with Willy and Stephen both at full steam on RRW, we are being very spoiled by the amount of new developments recently. Thanks for all the hard work  :thumbsup:.

Indiana Joe

The madman is back!  Awesome to see you dive headfirst back into it Willy  &apls

Quote from: mgb204 on January 31, 2016, 12:52:55 AM
Very cool, I suspect I'll be using a lot more rail viaducts in the near future.

Are these new ones going to remain compatible with existing texture overrides, such as those in RUM for RRW/NAM? I hope so, but either way with Willy and Stephen both at full steam on RRW, we are being very spoiled by the amount of new developments recently. Thanks for all the hard work  :thumbsup:.

I believe the plan has always been to make a totally new IID scheme for draggable rail viaducts.  So, as-is, the RUM wouldn't automatically override the new viaducts.  Plus new textures would have to be made for all the new pieces of course!

But the models of the viaducts haven't changed theme, so it's just a matter of porting it all over and doing a little editing for the new pieces.  Rivit did a fantastically quick job when the RRW first went public, so I have faith.   ()stsfd()

noahclem

Wow, that's an impressive night's work :D  Loving these so far!

metarvo

Once conductor Willy's train picks up steam, there's no stopping him.  Let's ride the rails to spectacular new lands!  Great job!  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Simmer2

________________________________________________________________________________

kbieniu7

Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

Swordmaster

I suppose I better let this cat out of its bag.

So yeah, draggable. Although in adjacency situations like the above, you don't even have to drag (same as with the road viaducts: instant override). No regular starters so far, only OnSlope Transitions (OSTs). I hope there will be enough stability that the "stub" starters are not necessary. The offset is that there will be diagonal OSTs (as above) from the get go.

However, major point: there will be no height transitions.

I will be clear on this:

A steep rail line (say, 2%) needs 775m, or approx. 50 tiles to gain 15.5m height. And that's a steep line where usually (in RL) specific regulations apply and reduced loads are required.

Quote from: mgb204 on January 31, 2016, 12:52:55 AMAre these new ones going to remain compatible with existing texture overrides, such as those in RUM for RRW/NAM?

The additional viaducts use the same set of textures as the existing ones, so theoretically Ron's viaducts are instantly compatible. However, I've noticed he added a yellow stripe along the edgebeams (the texture covering the top). The way Arne UV-wrapped the models, part of this stripe becomes visible. If the models stay this way, I'll get in touch with Ron--it's only a minor fix that I've already applied myself:

Cheers
Willy

Gugu3

This is awesome Willy!Draggable ERRW is incredible &apls
Are you planning to make L1 ERRW at some point?great work so far &apls &apls

Andreas

I was trying RRW for the first time only shortly ago in a new region, after getting some peeks here and there in the forum, and I must say it became a favorite of mine easily. At first, I was unsure about the brown-ish look (there was much discussion about this in the past, apparently), but I must say I got used to it quickly, and it fits into the game rather nicely. Making most of the stuff draggable, in conjunction with the FLEX approach (I still have to learn how to apply all those overrides, though), looks very promising, and it's a lot of fun to lay out new rail lines, even in difficult terrain. :)

Getting draggable viaducts is another feature that was long overdue, and thus the latest development is very exciting alright! I take the viaduct ramp will be kept as "legacy" item, but it won't be included in the draggable RRW approach due to the nature of realistic railways? Granted, main lines usually don't have slopes larger than 2-4%, with the occasional 8% in some mountainous regions; that actually means a realistic transition could be about 10-12 tiles long, but obviously, that's still a bit impractical. For the sake of usuability in the game, I'd say the existing ramp isn't that bad, though. ;)

Anyway, I'll monitor the progress of this project closely, esp. since I use railway in virtually any of my cities, and watching some of the demo videos gave us the perfect impression of a virtual model railroad. Surely uncovers some fond memories of my childhood alright when I was admiring with my dad's H0 trains! The rail catenaries that eggman121 was showing look super awesome, too, and knowing how fussy T21 exemplars can be sometimes, my hat goes off for exploring that field as well. :)

One thing I was wondering about: Will there be a RRW lot texture pack for the popular rail textures by North Country Dude? I see that Simmer2 released a huge load of new textures, but that would mean to re-lot everything. I know that RRW features different curve radii an all, but maybe some adaption could be made. There are a few other textures that don't seem to be covered yet, too, like the diagonal switches on the Maxis Large Railway Station, and Marrast's diagonal stations.
Andreas

art128

Seems like you're back on the good tracks, Willy......  ::)

That was lame, I know.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Simmer2

All of NCD and I belive some oh PEG's legacy tracks will be color matched to the RRW standard.
Eggman121 is overseeing the transition.
I could easily make the transition points between the legacy textures and RRW standards but then every lot ever made with those textures would have to be put through LE and re-uploaded.

Simmer2
________________________________________________________________________________

eggman121

Quote from: Simmer2 on January 31, 2016, 02:03:07 PM
All of NCD and I belive some oh PEG's legacy tracks will be color matched to the RRW standard.
Eggman121 is overseeing the transition.
I could easily make the transition points between the legacy textures and RRW standards but then every lot ever made with those textures would have to be put through LE and re-uploaded.

I will try to find some time but at the moment I am quite busy. I have not thought of PEG's tracks yet. I think you where referring to the WMP tracks which will be updated. This process will take some time however.

-eggman121

art128

Noahclem already started the WMP textures. In fact the few done were uploaded as an additional, optional file in mu Japanese Train Station pack on the LEX. I'd advise to talk to him about it and about taking over the development of them etc.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Swordmaster

Doo-bee-doo-bee-doo. . .

Cheers
Willy

Simmer2

metarvo

Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.