• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

Busy on unexpected stuff this last little bit, so I'm not done with the promised tutorial.  That should be fairly soon, though.

This is the parallel stuff I've got going on- planning the 3RR power grid.  I've just got one shot of the "Power" overlay of the master map.

Big black dot towards the top is the Grand River Nuclear Power Station.  The two large black dots on the other side of the river and to the south are Units One and Two of the old Parasol Point oil fired power plant.  The small black dot on High Island is the High Island Wind Generation Complex ("HIWGC").  Gray-filled dots are major substations large through small.  The line represent power lines- the largest being twin pylon 330 kV transmission lines, the medium size single pylon 110 kV lines, and the smallest 66 and 33 kV local transmission lines.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

thundercrack83

Well, David--yet again, in one post of a map, you've turned something rather mundane like the powering of your region, into something so vibrant and interesting!

Some day, you need to fill us in on your secret, my friend!

Take care,

Dustin

Tarkus

Alright, more maps!  And a power grid map, to boot--the first time I've really seen anyone plan out an electrical system.  That's just plain awesome--this even further makes 3RR seem like a real place.  

-Alex

metarvo

Your neighborhood looks marvelous, Dan.  Especially the way that sandstone(?) texture comes up to the FAR.

David, its also great to see an actual map of 3RR again.  It seems like the actual region has been in park for a long time.  Wait a minute... A power grid?  That's great!  That's wonderful!  That's...

:o

:shocked2:

-collapses from shock-
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Jmouse

How long has it been since we saw one of David's spectacular maps? Well, that's too long!

Later...
Joan

sithlrd98

My god man...is there anything you can't do? I mean , now you up and show us a map of the power grid...I don't even plan power in my cities. I just put power in my cities cause my whiny advisers cry if I don't! Back in my day.....

Seriously , great job on that map and look forward to more teasers!

Jayson

Grneyes

Dan, your FAR/FARR railroad and roads look great!!!

One question: how did you get your streets in Picture 1 to look like redbrick?

MaryBeth

threestooges

-Grneyes: The streets were created through the use of the Street Addon Mod (SAM) which can be found on the LEX. It also offers a few other texture versions for asphalt, dirt, and even parking lot style streets. Details of it can be found here.

girlfromverona

The detail that is going into this region is unbelievable! Between work and SC4, I'm wondering when you actually sleep, David!  :P

rooker1

Your work never seizes to amaze me.   &apls
A power grid map, what will you think of next?   &Thk/(

Robin   :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

j-dub

Personally I like the real squiggles of FARR curves at hilly egdes/moutainous areas. I wouldn't know how to texture the pieces. This ain't much, as I'm fairley new to using it, but how it changes the curves in this game amazes me. I was experimenting to see how it works in combination with regular roads, especially crossroads.

EDIT: j-dub, are you using the new textures?  What you've posted looks (while the curves are the same) like the previous texture variant.  Let me know, please, as I may need to look at the current .dat file again. -DE

Pat

Quote from: rooker1 on September 12, 2008, 04:35:51 AM

Your work never seizes to amaze me.   &apls
A power grid map, what will you think of next?   &Thk/(

Robin   :thumbsup:

David Ditto what Robin said and you deserve some good treats here

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

dedgren

Just another pic from the about half-completed power grid map.

That's the area around Wolf Lake and to the west.  The twin pylon line that leaves the maplet on the north and south edges is the 330 kV line running northwest from the Grand River nuke power plant.  North of Wolf Lake, the line becomes an intertie [linkie] feeding into the power grid of northwestern Ontario.

Now, a request- I have not been keeping up with the world of electric power custom content.  I know about the game high-tension line towers, and about those made by Fukuda that are available on the STEX.  Are there new and better ones?  I'd like to look at towers both with wires and without, and it is critical that a diagonal version would be available.  I note that one of my big turn-offs with both the game and Fukuda towers are the base they come with.  I grew up with high-tension lines running about half a mile/.8 kilometers from my house...

...so that why I have that second Motie Arm [linkie] growing out of my right shoulder [linkie] [even better linkie]...

...and even though they were huge, each of the four legs rested on a concrete stanchion as opposed to the whole thing being on a pad.  My thought is that I would make the towers ploppable if need be and do without the wires.

I'm also interested in finding out if anyone had BATted these?

They would be perfect for the lower voltage (66 and 33 kV) local transmission lines.

Also, as long as you're looking, has anyone BATted decent substations.  Here's a small one located in Heather's home town.

I recollect seeing one available for DL, but I'd like to hear what you folks think is good.

Later.  Weekend's coming up.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

JoeST

Hey David, someone recently BATted some new power things here and have been released on the STEX, I dont know if this is what your after :)

and its still looking fantabidosey :D :)

JOe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

metarvo

-manages to get back up-

Is this what you're referring to, JoeST?

These are mine.  In fact, IMO that wooden one resembles the 66 / 33 kv pole picture that David posted.  I actually based it on a picture that Willy88 posted in the thread that you have linked to in your post.  The metal pole is based on a rural high-tension pole that is common in my state.  The wooden pole also appears rather frequently in my area.  These are only ploppable, but that's what I have at the moment.  Thank you for the compliment, Joe. ;)

This is perfect timing for the power grid, David.  I have been in a power pole sort of mood lately.  ;)  You will be pleased to know that these poles have no base texture (which may lead to the water bug  :'() and they come in orthogonal, diagonal, and fractional variants.  The wooden ones even have slight-turn pieces, but the metal ones do not yet come equipped with them.  There are wired and unwired versions.

EDITWow- great minds think alike, my friend! -DE
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

DFire870

David, jestarr also came up with some nice ploppable power lines, as well as a substation. They're on the LEX. I know there are also some nice wooden ones by SFBT on the LEX too.

I really like the ones by jestarr especially, since there are different sizes. The problem with ploppable power lines is that the ground has to be perfectly flat or the wires won't match up.

-- John
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

Tarkus

I'll second John about jestarr's stuff.  I use his substation on a frequent basis . . . adds a lot of realism to the electrical system.  I've also always wondered about taking Spocky's SFBT Rural Power Lines and turning them into the default power lines, too, though the wires would probably need significant alteration due to the height difference.  The powerlines in-game, technically speaking, are a "transit network" (Tropod actually did an experiment in which he got cars to drive on them, if I remember right). 

I've looked a little into more modding stuff on that end, but what I've found thus far has been quite limited--they're controlled largely by the Network INI file (which also controls bridges and a slew of other random stuff), and the section of code dedicated to them appears rather small and limited.

-Alex

Chrisadams3997

Quote(which may lead to the water bug  )

You're in luck Metarvo, the water bug only occurs on lots with no base texture that happen to have an overlay texture.  If neither are present, there's no problem.

threestooges

Smoncrie was gracious enough to provide me with the appropriate IDs for fiddling with the game's power poles. I've just never gotten around to testing it yet.
Quote from: smoncrie on August 07, 2008, 08:49:12 AM
The Maxis power poles will be replaced if you create a model that has a group ID of 0xbadb57f1 and an instance ID of 0x0AD30000.  This is the model used for straight lines (no turns or branches).

Other power pole models have instance ID's of  0x0AD20000, 0x0AD40000, and 0x0AD50000.

So metarvo, if you would like to try to get these things functioning as actual replacement lines for the game's 'red & whites' maybe we could work on something (or you can dive right in since you alreayd have the models, either way, if you have any questions let me know).

As far as the substation, I know there is one available for DL (I believe it serves as a power plant) and I'll see if I can dig up the link.
-edit-
Found a few:
Power Transformer by subgrav
Substation Pack by homefryes
HV Powerline Substation by jestarr

Those are the current ones that I could find, but if I see anything else, I'll let you know.

Great work with the maps of the power grid David. Well thought out.
-Matt

Heblem

I BATed some of these, for my MD Canatlán sometime ago... if you need you can ask for it...

i still have some of these, but i may update them for my mock city later, mainly because the cable lines are too bright...