• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Cities with the shortest and longest commute times

Started by Haljackey, March 30, 2010, 09:23:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haljackey

Here's something you might find interesting:

Commute time: calculated as the average time (in minutes) of a trip to and from work, based on: US: 2008 Canada, Europe, Sydney: 2006.

Cities associated with low commute times are considered to be more attractive places to live.

With the highest average commute time, Toronto ranks last among the 19 metro areas for which data are available. With the exception of New York, the US cities do well on this indicator. London, Montreal and Toronto are the only cities to receive "D" grades.

# cities ranked: 19

The Grade

# - City Name - grade - average commute time in minutes

1. Barcelona A (48.4)
2. Dallas A (53.0)
3. Milan A (53.4)
4. Seattle A (55.5)
5. Boston A (55.8 )
6. Los Angeles A (56.1)
7. San Francisco B (57.4)
8. Chicago B (61.4)
9. Berlin B (63.2)
10. Halifax C (65.0)
11. Sydney C (66.0)
12. Madrid C (66.1)
13. Calgary C (67.0)
14. Vancouver C (67.0)
15. New York C (68.1)
16. Stockholm C (70.0)
17. London D (74.0)
18. Montreal D (76.0)
19. Toronto D (80.0)

Data unavailable for Hong Kong, Oslo, Paris,
Shanghai, and Tokyo.

Source: http://bot.com/Content/NavigationMenu/Policy/Scorecard/Scorecard_on_Prosperity_2010_FINAL.pdf

Interesting to see where these cities fit.  Looks like cities with more highways tend to rank higher compared to those with more rapid transit systems (subways).

I've been to both Barcelona and Toronto and I agree with this list.  Barcelona has excellent transport infrastructure whereas Toronto has few transit lines and highways.

Thoughts?

RickD

Shouldn't they also publish the average commute distance? In a wide spread city the commute time should of course be higher than in a dense one.

My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)