• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The University of Clayhurst

Started by JBSimio, February 17, 2009, 05:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vester

Quote from: amishius on January 04, 2014, 11:50:05 AM
This was posted on /r/simcity on Reddit and it has ped bridges! What's the dealio??

Edit: would help if I posted a linky!

http://imgur.com/a/H6myd

Please don't revive old threads.

We have an area for questions/requests like this:
Where can I find this ....?¿

SpeedbumpJoey

Quote from: vortext on January 04, 2014, 02:20:54 PM
The bridges (and paths & tower) you're looking at are part of the BSC park series, which is independent from the Clayhurst University. Though iirc the university lots do comply with the texture IID scheme.

At any rate, here's the BSC park base set, here're additional textures and here're the bridges from the pics. If interested I'd recommend you do a search for 'BSC Park' on the LEX because it has many, many add-ons.  :)
Thank you!

kikex990

vester

Some stuff are upload to Lex under the name JBSimio.

the others I would guess got stuck on JBSimio's HD.

Rayden

I think this is exclusive of the LEX DVD and never been released to public.

Jack_wilds

actually, if I understood JB's proposal was that the EP1 was to be a general release expanding the previous UofC general release... what is exclusive to the disc was differing models and accessories...

I wish to god he was able to have completed his EP1 release with the field-house, and pedestrian bridges and the rest of campus buildings... it was a magnificent project, it deserves better than this   &mmm ()sad()

hope all is well with guy now that RL has apparently swallowed him up...

jaredh

The expansion is not on either sc4d disks as far as I know.  It's an urban legend because the cd had a fix pack for the original release that people have confused over the years.

I might be wrong, but I've never found the EP on the disks I have.

Ramona Brie

Did Andreas ever get EP1 to mod and release? I thought it was *there* that the delays were encountered...

This lack of buildings makes me want to learn 3D modeling and lotting. But my oh my, that would be a LOT to learn for me...

Jack_wilds

Pardon my bumping a dead thread...

:crytissue:

just lamenting the lose of U of C project and the promising expansion packs...

trust life is treating JB well

:satisfied:

Jack_wilds

Hello student body of U of C...

before I state the purpose of this interruption unto a 'dead thread'... wish to extend apologies for waking such a quiet library space...

I hope JB is well and good where ever he is and whatever he is doing... the thread maybe 'dead' but let it not be so for the one who built the campus...

which brings me to this... hopefully everyone noted that Andreas managed to find resurrect and recover much of the last EP for the campus... it is very appreciated and well enjoyed...

however it is missing somethings... namely the awesome Field-House... and then what was to be the ag/natural resources/farm department... and the pedwalks-n-bridges and the beginnings of the athletic department and medical departments... and lecture/studio hall

so I am wondering and hoping that perhaps JB could be found and asked about these items... and then further, perhaps allow a few other capable Batters/modders to continue adding the UofC campus in his stead and memory... as such allow use of his textures and other items to continue expanding the university as he began it...

thoughts for consideration and possible action... so again thx for listening sorry about disturbing the dust in this Uof C library...

:satisfied:

woodb3kmaster

Quote from: Jack_wilds on February 25, 2016, 07:15:50 PM
the awesome Field-House... and then what was to be the ag/natural resources/farm department... and the pedwalks-n-bridges and the beginnings of the athletic department and medical departments... and lecture/studio hall

I haven't gone back through this thread to verify, but if memory serves, several of the buildings you mentioned were slated for EP2 (including the fieldhouse and the two belltowers, which I was especially looking forward to). It may well be that the files for those buildings are languishing on JB's hard drive, never having been uploaded anywhere. For all our sakes, though, I hope that isn't the case.

I agree, however, that it would be great if JB were to return, even if only to pass the baton to a new generation of academic BATters/lotters/modders. I, for one, would relish the opportunity to expand the Clayhurst set further, if only I had access to the dev files...

Feel brand new. Be inspired.
NYHAVEN - VIEWS FROM WITHIN
Nuclear City - 5/8

APSMS

He was last around in January (this year). I suspect a PM may yield results, if you're willing to take on the work (in the hopes that the files still exist).

May not even be necessary; the files looked mostly complete as they appeared in the thread.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation

JBSimio

Dear University of Clayhurst enthusiasts,

Um... where to start? Obviously apologies are in order. I never intended to disappear. As many of you may remember, summer is always an extremely busy time of year for me and quite honestly, it just kind of snowballed from there. I revisited numerous times, often with feelings of guilt, but the idea of how to resurrect my past projects left me feeling overwhelmed. The more time that passed, the more difficult it became for me to make any kind of statements. None of this justifies my silence for what has now become years, but it's the best way I can explain how we got here. For that, I am truly sorry. I appreciate the expressions of concern, and I've been fine, albeit still quite busy with camp and life in general.

Now onto the business at hand...

which brings me to this... hopefully everyone noted that Andreas managed to find resurrect and recover much of the last EP for the campus... it is very appreciated and well enjoyed...

This makes me feel a bit better, I'm glad to see but I was not aware of this. Can someone point me in the right direction? Just curious to know where things stand and what I may be able to do from here.

As for the bell towers, athletic facilities, pedestrian overpasses, etc... most of those things were slated for EP2 and have not been uploaded anywhere. They are indeed languishing on my hard drive at the moment in various states of completeness. I will need to take a closer look at the files to remember what still may or may not need to be done with them. There are also a few models that have not even been rendered or completely modeled yet which would obviously require a bit more work.

I haven't honestly played the game in a very long time now, although I've considered making a return to it and here numerous times. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up, but I still have some ideas in my head that I would have loved to see finished. If nothing else, I am more than willing to, at minimum, finish or hand over what I've shown so far so that it can get to those that still want it.

Thank you so much for the continued interest in this project. It means a lot to me, even if I haven't done much with it myself. Unfortunately, my summer season starts next week so I can't promise a fast turn around on anything. But I do promise not to disappear permanently again! And I will be back with some updates on what I learn after digging through my files.

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

vortext

Nice to see you around!  :)

Quote from: JBSimio on June 17, 2016, 11:32:31 AM

This makes me feel a bit better, I'm glad to see but I was not aware of this. Can someone point me in the right direction? Just curious to know where things stand and what I may be able to do from here.

It was part of last years SC4D Advent calendar, and can be found on the LEX here. During preparation for the calendar Andreas dug up quite a few oldies which had been sitting on his HD and whipped them into shape. So far the community has enjoyed them quite a bit, as you tell from the LEX comments.  :)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

compdude787

Welcome back, JBSimio! I just wanna say that all your schools are truly great and they complement the Maxis education buildings quite nicely. :) :thumbsup:
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Andreas

Wow, that's a nice surprise alright, welcome back! :) And no need to apologize, I feel at least as much guilty when it comes to the massive delay in releasing this huge project. IIRC, you sent me the beta version of the EP1 lots for brushing them up (menu icons etc.), but I got swamped with RL, and then you got swamped with RL as well, so they sat on my hard drive and collected dust for several years.

I've never been totally away from the community, too, but concentrated on our German forum, and "forgot" a bit about SC4D. When the 2015 advent calendar for this site was discussed, I was digging deep in my archives, and resurrected quite a few "forgotten" SFBT projects, and uncovered those half-modded university EP lots in some folder.

So I went through all the files, even found some notes that I wrote down when we discussed how to bring those into the game (trigger buildings, reward chains etc.), and tried my best to finish the work that we started years ago, compiling them to a true expansion pack for the University of Clayhurst.

Maybe it doesn't contain everything that was planned back then, but I think it's a valuable add-on that reflects our ambitions nicely. I had a bit of a hard time to figure out the proper reward scripts (RippleJet did that back then, as far as I remember), and I only included English and German menu descriptions (apart from the pieces where I could copy them from existing lots), but that shouldn't be much of a problem as well. ;)

Anyway, as my time allows, I'll gladly help you with integrating any remaining stuff for another expansion pack into the game, even though it might be a bit smaller than envisioned back then. I rarely have time to start up the game these days as well, but sometimes, I fire up SC4 and load one of my old cities, and enjoy that good old game that gave me so much fun for well over a decade now. :thumbsup:
Andreas

Jack_wilds

well I sure was shocked to day to see an 'old' faculty member wonder the campus grounds today...  :)

wished to stop him and say 'Hi!'   :satisfied:    however, I also was rushing off to class in this RL work-a-day world as well  ???

great hearing from you... I am open to any idea yous guys can come up with and finally add to the LEX...  what I would like is the field-house as I thought that was rather a neat project...

beblessed   :)

markussaage

&apls Welcome back! I really do like your school sets and the University... Awesome work!  &apls

JBSimio

Vortext:  Thank you for the link! I had a look at the description but haven't had a chance to download and see the details just yet.

Compdude: Thanks!

Andreas: Thank you so much for doing that! As I will discuss more shortly, the original scope of this project was so ambitious and beyond my personal capabilities, that in some ways I think I set myself up to fail sooner or later. I'm sure whatever compromises you came up with are still better than I could have done myself. Especially now that I'm so out of practice!  ::)

Jack: Nice to see you again as well. You've always been one of the strongest supporters of this project, and I deeply appreciate that.

Markussaage: Thank you!

So I found a few moments after work last night to dig through my folders and it appears things might be in better shape than I anticipated. I found lot files for both bell towers, all the pedestrian overpasses, and the field house. I have yet to find my usual spread sheet I made for these packs to keep track of progress on each lot. (I may not have even gotten far enough to make one yet!) Because of this, until I open up the files in the lot editor, I can't be certain if they're completely finished lots or not yet. I also don't know if any of them have been properly modded yet although based on the file names, I doubt that part. I also found the GMAX models for the entry signs and of course the arena. The signs are finished and won't take long to export and finish. I didn't have time to do a proper preview render of the arena, but photos I shared here say it was pretty close to finished and may only need a few tweaks yet. So that's where we stand with all the pieces I had in progress as far as I can remember. (Let me know if I've missed anything!)

Moving forward, and in light of some of Andreas's remarks, I am going to propose the following: Anything else I release for this will be modded within the university standards, but strictly as eye candy lots. Even if I manage to come back to the medical center/school (which I also found the half finished model for) or anything else I may still find, they're functionality will be minimal compared to my original lofty ambitions.  :D  I also think that the reward chains are sufficient as they stand, and adding further "level" of expansion would just complicate things beyond necessary. I hope I phrased that well enough to make sense. If anyone has strong objections to this, let me know. I think all of EP2 was basically cosmetic eye candy anyway, but in case I get back into this down the road, I don't want to bog myself down again.

More to come,
JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

APSMS

Jon (if I may),

Eye candy lots or the equivalent would be more than any of us would expect after so many years of not having any news on the project. I'm glad you're doing well, and that you will be able to complete out this project.

I really enjoy your school lots and having even non-functional University lots would be great help to finish fleshing out our modular colleges. We have more than enough functional stuff to satisfy.

After you finish with this, don't forget to stay around. I think old faces are always nice to have around, even if you don't have time to play or develop anymore. I think I joined just after you went inactive so seeing a legend around is pretty surreal.

-Absalom
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

My Mayor Diary San Diego: A Reinterpretation