• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Themistokles City Gallery: A Tropical Idea

Started by Themistokles, December 26, 2015, 02:01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Themistokles

Hey there again! :bye:

REPLIES
Akallan: Oh yes, it will take a lot of time. But in some ways it is more time-efficient than working with mmps I think. I have more choices, can remove or replace specific props and am able to search for props using their names instead of scrolling up and down the mmps menu. (A little bit) More is coming in this update :) Thanks for the comment!

kbieniu7: And I'm glad to be back working in SC4... I mean you must take the chances when for once life is not too stressful! ;) It is. My vision in this case is a post-car redeveloped city, so what I am aiming for is to integrate the blocks into a more vibrant cityscape. Oslo is a really interesting example and I am really happy every time I hear other cities being inspired by them. However, as far as I know, they only want to make the city centre car-free. In this case, I'm going for the whole city ;) As far as city planning goes, maybe this update is more in line with what you'd expect from a car-free city?

This time, I have expanded with more traditionally developed lands, imagining this to be an old, separate town that has been almost absorbed into the expanding periphery of the big city. Strict zoning laws now protect the small-scale farmers and old houses from developing into a concrete block forest.

edit: Ahhh, that compass! :'( I'll have to remove it until next time. The image is *clickable* though. ;) so you can see an even larger compass...

I hope you like it! If or if not, you're welcome to leave a comment below :)
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

kbieniu7

Kind of a weird view... yeah, I know, blocks tend to invade more and more land, but here it seems that some planners were so over-excited with them that they almost smahed down an historical village, stopping just at the very last moment  :D
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

feyss

It looks like the kind of monstrosity that only a Belgian architect could think of  :D

Great work!

Nanami

Although I find it awkward for those major concrete block next to farm but yeah its a really interesting concept and maybe reflect to some reality out there......

Themistokles

Well, hello! Before it becomes one year since the last post I might as well briefly wake this topic up again. I once more happened to find myself fiddling around in the LE for a few hours of a hung-over weekend to try out an idea that has been lying around in my head for the last years - using the height adjustment of props in the LE to create one lot with winding stairs and elevated buildings. So, without further ado, here they are:

The idea, if that is not visible, is based on a train line that goes through a tunnel under a street, surrounded by offices, a foreign embassy and a train stop. It's kind of a weird construction and I guess a little more similar to how C:S players (rather pedantic builders) think, building "scenes" one prop at a time. Only in LE can you do that in SC4, so that is where I mostly hang out. xD

What bothered me however was how everything obstructed the view of everything behind, which kind of reminds one of how flat SC4 cities mostly are. But please let me know what you think. :)
Come join me on a hike to St Edmea!

Latest update: 7

"In the end, our society will be defined not only by what we create, but by what we refuse to destroy." - John Sawhill

mattb325

Love it! Absolutely love it  :thumbsup: It reminds me of Olympia and SAC which were just so far ahead of its time and so few people can achieve

Kitsune

That really is incredible. I know we have subway tunnels in Toronto that have similiar affect where they come out and then disappear again.
~ NAM Team Member

carlfatal

Very, very interesting idea and well made!  &apls

juguesal

Very nice updates. Good job. Courage and it continues like this.
Where did you download the tram and the red train that you see? Update of September 30, 2018.

Greetings and thanks.

matias93

I LOVE that concept of trenched stations, it works so well for  hilly cities, and has this -almost romantic- air!
I imagine though that the lot would sit nicely only on a fixed slope...

"Lets be scientists and as such, remember always that the purpose of politics is not freedom, nor authority, nor is any principle of abstract character,
but it is to meet the social needs of man and the development of the society"

— Valentín Letelier, 1895