• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bat

Welcome to page 279!

Great work there again! And wonderful pictures of that stuff!! :thumbsup:

FrankU

Wow David,

It is too much. I just don't know what to say most of the times I take a look at your work.

But slowly I am getting worried..... How many switches are there between the old existing networks, the NAM additions and your additions....
Do we need GLR-in-avenue crossing FAR, FARR and STR? Is there a RHW diagonal crossing to Fractional angled single track railway (FASTR)?

How in the world will the players be able to find the right switch on a certain crossing? There must be hundreds if we 'd like to cross everything with everything.....

Edit: 9/10/2012 (a bit late, I admit). I obtained a karma point for this question, so it should at least be without spelling mistakes.

Pat

Ooooh Yea and I know my weekend is going to be great too!!!

btw its coming!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

dedgren

Heh, Frank...

QuoteBut slowly I am getting worried..... How many switches are there between the old exisitng networks, the NAM adiitions and your additions...

You need to check out a career in mind-reading, as we've been having the same discussion from time to time over at the RAM Team's private thread.  When is enough?  That is an excellent question.

Let's start with the "game switches."  In my mind, there isn't even a question.

Suffice it to say that I do not ever intend to use a game switch again.  I may look at the issue of creating a shorter radius turnout leg for a few variants of switches to be used in dense urban industrial areas, but the complete sacrifice of any standard of realism when the game switches are used is simply not acceptable.

I'll restrict the discussion from this point to the existing doubletrack rail lines.  Pretty much everything I say is, I believe, subject to extension to STR, but that's a topic for a different day.

There's three alignments of rail at this point, as far as I'm concerned.  That's orthogonal (with the game grid), diagonal (45 degrees to the game grid), and FARR (18.4 or 71.6 degrees to the game grid).  Each would, if I were king, have a set of switch variants that would provide a turnout leg to each of the others.  Thus:

Ortho->Diag

Ortho->FARR

Diag->Ortho

Diag->FARR

[not available yet]

FARR->Ortho

FARR->Diag

[not available yet]

So that's six total.  I also think each alignment should have a corresponding parallel track switch.

Ortho->Parallel Ortho

Diag->Parallel Diag

FARR->FARR

[not available yet]

These add three, for a total of nine switches. Because of the hexadecimal math that underlies all the game's functions and routines, sets of things like puzzlepiece switches optimally have up to 16 variants.  Nine fits comfortable within that number, and leaves room in the event someone would come up with something that I haven't thought of.

Turning to the STR for a moment...

...I know, I said that was a topic for another day...

...the team is working as this is written to formalize the content of V.1.  Much of the work is done, and we're in the first stages of putting together a complete alpha set.  Stay tuned for news about that.

Clear and cold in Alaska today- hope your day is a great one wherever you are.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

TheTeaCat

Thanks for the info update on the number of switches and "in first stages of putting together a complete alpha set. 
Stay tuned for news about that." ;D ;D

Sign me up for that :thumbsup:

As usual its hard to find fitting words for the sterling work you
and all the others do to make the game still such a ground breaking one &apls

Wet and Windy here at the mo (Brrrrr)

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

dedgren

Here's what I've been working on this evening.

I think with this we are pretty much up to a full set of trackage for version 1 of the STR.  That means I can move on to some other stuff that is of interest.

Back to the salt mines.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

deathtopumpkins

simply  &apls

And that's a good idea, making a list. It's nice to see what all's been done!
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

thundercrack83

Wow, David--you just keep working through these like they're nothing!

Magnificent work, my friend! You do such a magnificent job with everything!

Take care!

Dustin

metarvo

Quote from: dedgren on November 08, 2008, 07:45:30 PM

I think with this we are pretty much up to a full set of trackage for version 1 of the STR.  That means I can move on to some other stuff that is of interest.

Back to the salt mines.

That diagonal STR S-curve (these descriptions are getting long) looks incredible, David.  I await these other items that you are working on.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

wes.janson

Quote from: dedgren on November 08, 2008, 07:45:30 PM
Here's what I've been working on this evening.

This vague comment compiled with your uncanny knack for progressing this game beyond our expectations is quite intriguing.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

nerdly_dood

Let's hear it for realism!

(and dedgren too)
&apls

My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

art128

awesome work David, it's very great !!
&apls &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

bat

Great work on that stuff there, David! Looking forward to more... ;)

dedgren

Just a promo this morning for the 3RR-ST Archive [linkie].  The project, which Dustin (thundercrack83) and I have been working on over the past couple of weeks, will ultimately result in all 73 3RR-ST pages being completely available here at SC4D, complete with pics and hyperlinks.  Here's what the index looks like.

Clicking on a page link takes you to the ST page selected

minus all the site "chrome" and other non-3RR stuff.

We're shooting to move about five pages a week, more or less, and as of today are about 20% done.  The newest pages have been moved first.  As we go along, we will also be fixing the corrupted pages that are the wreckage left from the cyber-attack on ST this spring.  A long-range plan is to more tightly integrate the ST content with 3RR here and to do a hyperlinked table of contents.

In the meantime, though, enjoy clicking through the over 2,000 posts and comments made up 3RR during its two and one-half year run at Simtropolis.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Pat

hmmm whats that one thing we hear every time we fire up the game we love sooo much???  I know who is for sure challenging everything its you David WOW!!!  &apls

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

JoeST

Its a pitty you couldnt get any use out of my downloaded/parsed pages... ahh well

its looking fantastic in there tho :)

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

debutterfly

Nice work David...are the switch pieces pathed yet? Btw the pieces look great...Here in Indy, there aren't many duel-rail setups. most of them are SLR scattered throughout the city. Are you planning on having these pieces elevated later on? That could be something to look into.  ;)

un1

Wow, I closed the 3RR at ST, and the archive in one post.  $%Grinno$% (The archive isn't done, but adding more pages, I don't think so)

I don't know if there is another post after it...

-un1

thundercrack83

We're getting there, David--slowly, but surely!

Dustin

dedgren

Grid?

What grid???

That tasty little jog in the middle of the big S-curve is the most recent STR puzzle piece- the diagonal S-curve that was on the drawing board yesterday.

I'm pleased to report I've completed all the STR puzzle pieces I was working on and have headed into the retexturing.  It appears that the first pass applied to a couple of pieces has eliminated the moire and artifacting problems,

Unfortunately, three pieces took all day, so it's not quick work.  That said, it's plenty rewarding.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...