• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ennedi

3RR flags are designed much better than most real ones   :thumbsup:
Everything here looks more and more interesting for me...  ;)
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

superhands

sorry... ive got a good idea what the collaboration is.. but what exactly is happening in 17 days time? should i be prepared?
???

EDIT: Dave, no worries!  I'm just about done with a detailed guide to the collaboration process, which will be posted in the 3RR Team area first, then released here in summary form. -DE

Giligone

Trooper maps?! Bah, amazing. The level of detail here is just unreal... or is it too real... hmmm :-[  haha. In any case. I love seeing all the great things you come up with David!

bat

Nice new post there! And looking forward to more in the next 16+ days...

btw, my 4250th post!

dedgren

Here's the promised Fire Service Area (FSA) map.

A larger-scale (2048x2048) FSA map, which will open in a new window, can be viewed by clicking here [linkie].

Three Rivers Region has ten 11 FSAs, each with one or more municipal (Muni) or rural fire stations (RFS).  Places with no station generally have a volunteer fire unit with a garaged hose truck and EMS equipment for emergency response until the servicing station firefighters and equipment arrive.  About two-thirds of places in 3RR  have a hydrant system, and a tank/pumper truck is thus also located anywhere that does not.  We posted information about fire departments and rural fire service here [linkie] last August.

All of 3RR is on a 911 system, and each FSA has a an Emergency Management Control Center (EMCC) located at its main fire station.  Every telephone number installed in 3RR automatically transmits during a 911 call its physical location and other information necessary so as to allow the most rapid response.  The EMCCs also accomplish trooper unit dispatch in emergency situations.

We were asked by several folks about the significance of the boundaries between Trooper Service Areas, as at least one such boundary was noted as cutting across a quad.  These boundaries, along with the FSA boundaries shown above, are simply response and patrol jurisdiction lines.  Any trooper, fire unit or EMCC dispatcher has the ability to disregard these lines if emergency circumstances warrant.  Because of the region's small size and compact nature, information from service area to to service area is readily shared and is coordinated between areas by the main EMCC located in Pineshore.

Sweet 16!

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

TheTeaCat

More amazing details  &apls

Where do you find the time to do all this? The level of detail is unreal so I am really looking forward to getting the next 16 days out of the way so that we can start to see some results of all the planning.

till the next update

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

thundercrack83

Love the fire service map, David! Though, which area does Pratt Island belong to? It doesn't seem to be numbered, unless I've missed something. Either way, though, the map looks great!

Sixteen more days...

Dustin

Pat

David,

Im very impressed as you have done a fantastic job here!!! I love the FSA map and the details are even better then what is offered here in Oneida lol....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

dragonshardz

David you do know that Pratt Island has no service area number. Two RFS's, yes, but no service number.

dedgren

Like, as they say, it never happened...

Larger-scale version- opens in new window- here [linkie]

Thanks, Dustin (and 'shardz, too- but you get second prize this time) for pointing this out.  I'll rejuvenate the 3RR Fact Checker awards after I get these few other things I'm doing out of the way.

Later.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

bat

Also like these maps, David!
Great work on these!

And now I'm looking forward to the 15 next days!

dedgren

Well, back on January 28th, our friend bat snagged his third Double-0 post, making comment 2,700 here [linkie].  It's too bad we're not like the airlines with their frequent flier programs- but we do the best we can.  bat, its always my pleasure to see you here with us, and here's a little something that will hopefully be of interest in return.

This is the first of a series showcasing the officially designated plants, animals, rocks and minerals and other things that are representative of Three Rivers Region.  A complete list appears here [future linkie].

The Little Brown Bat - 3RR's Official Flying Mammal

One of the more fascinating creatures in Three Rivers Region is the little brown bat (Myotis lucifugus). These small insect eaters gather in groups of up to 10,000 to overwinter together in the region's caves, known as 'hibernacula'. Only a few caves are sufficiently deep and have the necessary structure to maintain their temperature at 5°C, allowing the bats to hibernate in them from late September to late April. Caves located in in the Upper Cold River Karst Complex are critical to the survival of this species in 3RR.

Little brown bats feed on small flying insects like moths and mosquitoes, each eating several grams every night. In the summer, groups of female bats live in 'nursery colonies' in hollow trees and attics. They each give birth to one young in early June. The males disperse singly around the region, roosting in trees and sometimes under building soffits. All of them return to the caves in early August, where mating occurs prior to winter hibernation.

In 1988, H. von Bielefeld, Ph.D, Bruce Waynian Professor of Small Flying Mammal Zoology at Three Rivers Region University, began to study the little brown bat in the region. His objectives were to map the distribution of little brown bats in 3RR; to locate as many hibernacula and summer nursery colonies as possible, and to determine where bats found in hibernacula spend summers and where bats found in summer colonies overwinter.

To map distributions and to monitor seasonal movements of bats, a banding program was set up. Three Rivers Region Speleological Society (3RRSS) members and other volunteers helped find bat caves. Information provided by home and cottage owners, the 3RR Department of Natural Resources and others led to the summer banding of bats in residential and cottage areas throughout the region and into adjacent southwestern Ontario around Lake of the Woods.

Most banding has occurred in caves west of the Prater Springs areas, and in Diamond Cave south of Hart Lake.  Sleeping bats are plucked by hand from the cave wall and placed in a cloth bag. Once they are captured, the bats are examined to determine sex, reproductive status, age, signs of injuries and whether external parasites, like fleas and mites, are present.

Previously banded bats are recorded and any injuries and/or parasites are noted. Time in capture and handling is kept to a minimum to avoid stressing the animals. So far, approximately 6,000 little brown bats have been banded in caves and approximately 750 at nursery colonies. Band returns have shown the bats to be very loyal to their summer and winter roosts. The majority of those banded in the summer on the west side of the region appear to hibernate in a single cave in the Karst Complex, sometimes travelling more than 50 km each way. Less than one percent of bats banded in a particular cave have ever been found in another cave.

As a result of this study, at least 13 caves are known to serve as hibernacula for little brown bats in Three Rivers Region. The largest discovered to date is Diamond Cave. After several years of effort, the Regional Government has declared this critical cave and a small area around it an ecological reserve. This is the most stringent legal protection available to a natural feature. More than 20,000 little browns spend each winter in that cave and they are very vulnerable to any form of disturbance while deep in their winter sleep.

Little brown bats may be small, but they are an important part of the 3RR ecosystem.  They are a voracious nocturnal predator that have as their primary prey the region's abundant summer mosquitos.  A single small brown bat can eat over 3,000 of these insects in one night.  The preservation of bat habitat is a significant priority, and one that will insure that these interesting creatures will continue to thrive in Three Rivers Region.

So, bat, there (once again) you go.  Thanks so much for your tremendous loyalty to 3RR.

Halfway!

Later.

David

n.b.  Credits for the pics and the basis for the text will go up in a bit.  Thank heavens for governments, which always seem to find the time and resources to pay attention to these sorts of things. -DE

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Giligone

Wow, thats some detailed tribute! Amazing work as always  :satisfied:

thundercrack83

Some more very interesting information about bats, David! I think I've learned more here in 3RR than I did my four years in college!

And congratulations to you, again, bat!

Dustin

Pat

David what a talent you have  :thumbsup: digging up bats like that  ;D great job sir!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

bobvmiami

David,

Don't know if you intended it this way, but my better instincts tell me you didn't...

Your new Fire Service Area map on page 148 shows two RFS 33's; one in sector 5 and another in 9. Also two RFS 34's; one in sector 8 and the other in 10. Sorry, I just easily see all the detail you put into your work, and I know you'd want it accurate.

I enjoy watching to see how this is going to come together.

Bob
When I die, I want to go quietly in my sleep like my grandfather did.... not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car!

bat

Thanks for that, David!! And thanks for the congrats of the others, too!

Looking forward to the next 14 (!!) days!

dedgren

Three's a charm...

Here's a corrected large-scale map (2048x2048) [linkie], which will open in a new window.

Our new friend Bob (bobvmiami) made his entry into the 3RR Fact Checkers on his first post on SC4D's forums.  That definitely calls for some recognition, along with a few others we've noted along the way.  I see fact checking as an essential part of my effort here- as 3RR grows toward Middle-Earthian proportions from a standpoint of detail, it becomes increasing hard to keep up with it all.  One of the major tasks with the Gazetteer has become going back and updating dates and other information that, when I wrote the original entry as much as almost a year ago, I just guessed at or inserted a placeholder.

Fortunately, things are increasingly organized.

Now, that's really hard to read, so here's the full-size urban places spreadsheet [linkie], which will open in a new window as well.  I still have fields that aren't done yet for elevation and land area.

Exactly two weeks to go!

I'm feeling the burn.

Later.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

bat

WELCOME TO PAGE 149!!

Nice new post there, David! And the list is looking wonderful! Great work!

And still looking forward to the next 14 days!

Pat

David nice map update there  &apls