• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankU

Dedgren,
Your mountain road is stunning. &hlp
Pity my region doesn't have mountains nor hills. It is completely flat....
The reason for that is all around me. We have no mountains here. The highest hill (we optimistically call it mountain) around here is 321 meters hihg and we have to share it with Belgium and Genrmany!
So I stay away from mountains and try to make resmblances of my flat country where there is so much water in the sense of sea, lakes, canals, harbours (seaports), marshes etc....
And I 'd like to use your FAR to make suburbs with different angles.
Great owrk!

dedgren

Well, no good news as for the rail wide curves/FARR this morning.  Unfortunately, the alpha texture "fix" I thought would work did not, so I'm headed back to the drawing board to monkey with the main textures themselves.  I'll keep you posted.

There is other, better news, though.  The wide road curve/FAR retexturing is done.  Jan (Swamper77) has done the crossing gates for the FAR/FARR level railroad crossings and they work.  He's also made a number of small, but important pathing fixes.  Alex (Tarkus) is completing right about now a new build of the NAM controller file for the beta, so as quick as I can get the textures right, we should be ready to go.

Once again, I'll renew my request that anyone who has experience with rail textures would hold up his or her hand...

So, to pass the time, here's a couple of pics I though you might get a kick out of.

Clepsydra Geyser, Upper Geyser Basin, YNP, 080627

Run-off from Grand Prismatic Spring into Firehole River, YNP, 080627

Old Faithful, YNP, 080627

Hopefully better news over the next 24.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

JoeST

Distracting us with pretty pictures... heheh

I might publicize my archiving script (or go on a private venture) so that more threads can be backed up :)

Joe

EDIT: Joe, big thanks for your hard work on the 3RR-ST transfer project.  I'll PM you this evening with some thoughts on specific issues- your programing effort, though, is just amazing. -DE
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

sim-al2

Yellowstone is just plain awesome! ;D I'm surprised you could get close enough to take the second picture. Sulfur STINKS!

Note to self: SC4 needs geysers

EDIT: Heh!  3RR needs a geyser- if they can occur on one of Neptune's moons, why not?  [linkie]  Hmmm... timed "game" fountain effect, some rocks, a transparent lot... -DE
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

Haljackey

Wow!  Amazing work on the FAR and the new curves!  They look fantastic!   :thumbsup:

Oh, and I love Old Faithful!  I've been to Yellowstone once before and saw it in action.  It "erupted" 2 hours later than was predicted, and because of that, it was much more powerful.

Best,
-Haljackey

sim-al2

I don't know of any ingame fountains with enough power. Maybe one of the 3wave effects?(Jeroni's waterfalls include a bunch of effects)
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

mightygoose

well 2x2 road curves are now a reality, perhaps i can incent you to look at wide radius points.... because its all very well having wide radius rail curves and FARR but without wide radius points it can spoil the look. i envisage perhaps 4 new points.... straight to acute angle FARR, straight to diagonal, straight to obtuse angle FARR, and straight to parallel straight, and then if ive really incented you their diagonal and even FARR equivalents... i mean really, thats the only thing you have left out in this almost all inclusive mod...
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

thundercrack83

Hi, David!

Sorry to learn that your fix didn't work out the way you would have liked, but something tells me that it's a mere bump in the road! Good luck with the new textures, and I'll be looking forward to seeing further development.

Oh, and geysers...just another real-life detail that would make things much more pleasant in SC4--and the type of detail that is overlooked by everyone but you!

Take care, my friend!

Dustin

girlfromverona

Quote from: dedgren on August 04, 2008, 08:03:26 PMI think the current upgrade will be a good addition to the game, if I do say so myself.

Holy understatement of the year, Batman!!!  :D

This is phenomenal stuff, David, absolutely phenomenal!

ben_meissner

The FAR/FARR looks great. Can't wait to use them.
The photos from Yellowstone are beautiful as well. Makes me want to go back. Last time I was there I shot over twenty rolls of film (yes, I said film - how quaint).

Good luck with your curve issues.

Ben

smoncrie

I finally caught up in this thread...

A few days ago [linkie] you were talking about the fact that the telephone pole wires required flat ground.

I worked out a way to have such wires on rough ground.   I posted about a very early version on rail lines [linkie]. (The project is mostly on the back burner at this time.)

The technique uses T21's so the wires need to be on or very near a transportation network.   For T21 telephone poles, it would be possible control what parts of the road should have telephone poles by placing lots with a special zone value next to the road.

If people are interested, I could post how it can be done.

You also said that you would like to get rid of crosswalks in rural regions.  Here is a very quick little mod I made to get rid of the crosswalks in the "T" road intersection, where it is un-zoned or near a farm zone.  I have attached it to this post.  Is this what you wanted?

dedgren

FARR out, man!

...I have wanted to have the excuse to say that for a while now...

Darn ferkakhta rail textures...

smoncrie, hey!  Welcome to 3RR!  I looked quickly at the T21 wire post- the only issue I'd think of right away is that the 'phone poles would have to be right up against the road, if I understand how T21s work.  It would be interesting to explore whether displaced props would be possible to move the poles back into the ROW.

I will apply your crosswalk fix at my leisure this evening when I can fully savor the pleasure of being rid of the darn things.

So glad to have you aboard!

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

metarvo

Quote from: dedgren on August 07, 2008, 01:10:04 PM
FARR out, man!

...I have wanted to have the excuse to say that for a while now...

This pic is FARR and away the highlight of my week.   :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

girlfromverona

Looking good, David!  :thumbsup:

smoncrie: I've just downloaded your little mod - can't wait to try it out!

dedgren

Here's the FARR level railroad crossing.

Jan (Swamper77) is sorting out the complete set of RHD/LHD placements for the gates for both pieces.  It's just so great to see them work, it's hard to notice (from my RHD-centric view) that they are on the "wrong" side of the road.

I'm going to work on the retextures from our bazillion year old wooden not tub tonight.  I built the deck around it a couple of years ago, before I started spending all my free time doing, er... something else.

Wish me luck.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

rushman5

Good luck indeed, and as I have posted elsewhere, I am envious of your FARR project.  I am not worthy

threestooges

Good stuff, and another step closer to beta (I hope). If you get some good leads with the offset T21 stuff, let me know and you'll have a few more poles (offset of course) coming your way. I'll be keeping an eye out for further developments, but until then, take it easy.
-Matt

bat

This crossing is looking really nice! Looking forward to more...

Pat

David fantastic stuff here and I bet Heather would love it if you didn't use PSP to retexture the tub  :D  ohh to aneswer your question I think that dog did belong to Gene lol.... As always I am so looking forward to more 3RR!!!

welcome to page 217 and 110735

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

metarvo

Quote from: Pat on August 08, 2008, 10:53:42 AM
David fantastic stuff here and I bet Heather would love it if you didn't use PSP to retexture the tub  :D

Lol.  This is funny, Pat.  Maybe it is also possible to use PSP to repaint houses or put up wallpaper, too.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.