• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Nexis Works

Started by mrbisonm, May 12, 2009, 11:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbisonm

Ok, I have another gmax problem (more my problem than gmax as a matter of fact). I would like to know how to make things transparent, being able to see through and/or make it clear with having a texture, like a colour or something, and please do not come with a full 4 page tutorial clicking on 28 different buttons with 106 possibilities to do that in 342 ways......twice.......lol.

I am already enough frustrated with the problems of texturing and LODding some other models I have and didn't find any tutorials on this and/or  got some tutorials from members that meant well, but that I do not understand or maybe not work. All I want is to understand how to SIMPLY make a piece of model transparent, see through it so we can barely see and identify "things" (in this case machinery and cattle) under the dome. I don't care about shinyness, reflection or whatever freaking details there exist or don't, it just has to be a little transparent and be able to do this with 1, 2 or 3 clicks.

Here is what I need it for. This model has a semidomed roof that I would like to make semitransparent (just a little "letting light in") with a greyish texture.........

....that looks a little like this, a texture with some details. I can make the texture, no problem, also can I apply it to the model, but how can I make it "see-thru" ?

I played around with the opacity, but I always loose the texture on the model when I hit the apply button and the model then becomes of an ugly beige coloured one toned colour.....but semitransparent...

Making a texture semi or transparent  shouldn't take 100 clicks nor 2 hrs of studying the program, right? ;) Thanks for helping.

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

gn_leugim

I think it is simple:

create a material
assigned it the texture map
set its opacity map to something in the middle, you have to play arround here to get it right
voilá, in the gmax is all done

not after that, the model should be tuned/moded to show transparency ingame. also simple

Get Cogeo's Model Tweaker
open your model in it
select the transparency icon (blueish/greenish gradient)
set it on
save it

and you are done :)

simple enough? :D

mrbisonm

Quote from: gn_leugim on December 08, 2012, 07:35:48 AM
I think it is simple:

create a material
assigned it the texture map
set its opacity map to something in the middle, you have to play arround here to get it right
voilá, in the gmax is all done

not after that, the model should be tuned/moded to show transparency ingame. also simple

Get Cogeo's Model Tweaker
open your model in it
select the transparency icon (blueish/greenish gradient)
set it on
save it

and you are done :)

simple enough? :D

There is several pages which have opacity, which one do I use? If I use the first page of the Material Editor, it doesn't keep the texture as soon as I hit the apply button. Like I said before, (many times) it becomes transparent, but looses the texture and beomes beige.
If I use the opacity in Maps, then nothing happens....

Thanks everyone, but I give up. I either have not understood, or maybe it has not been rightly explained (so many things, so many ways, so many possibilities, nothing simple here it seems), or my gmax simply doesn't work properly. Anyways, I don't actually and absolutely NEED the freaking transparency. I can do the model without and that will be sufficient. So thank You everyone or trying to help.
I will now continue to concentrate myself on making the models.

Another machinery shed model I made, the roof needs some more texture tweaking I guess and the tractor is not yet finished texturing, but this is to let you know that I am working on the project. ;)

Fred

rambuckel

Hi Fred,

feel free to send me your model and I'll put a transparent texture on the roof for you. You should have my E-Mail.

Theresa
Angels can fly because they don't take themselves too serious!

mrbisonm

Quote from: rambuckel on December 09, 2012, 02:18:05 PM
Hi Fred,

feel free to send me your model and I'll put a transparent texture on the roof for you. You should have my E-Mail.

Theresa

Thanks for offering it, I will finish the model this week and send it to you, including the texture by e-mail later. Very kind.

I just received your machinery models and below is a picture when I tried them out to see if we have about the same scale, and....they surely do fit with my buildings. Thanks again. I will give all the credit for the machinery that I will use under my sheds. Btw, can I change some colours (textures) on some of the models and upload them with my sheds pack?

Fred

PS. If you (rambuckel) want a model from me, just say so, anything from my threads or MD. (modelfiles or gmax) ;) I'd be honored.

rambuckel

Hi Fred, of course you can change colours or size. At least change whatever you want. Although I am a lawyer I'm not really picky with all those copyrights and stuff concerning things I create for my SC4-Hobby. At least we'll all benefit from your and Frank's work on all those farms. In case I do need one of your models I'll tell you. At least I hope you'll deliver a prop-pack with all those little items you showed already and with those that will come further on.

Just in case you need help rendering all that stuff just ask. I'm sure I can do some props for you.

When I texture your models I'll send you a tutorial with pictures how to do it :) I might have been a little bit too complicated in the text-version of the tutorial =)

Theresa

mrbisonm

Thanks rambuckel for your help and the services you offered, I will come back to you for sure.
And Yes, I will of course upload everything you see in this thread.

I finished another model tonight, a small variation of the M103A, this time with different lay-outs, a darker less saturated roof texture and different props inside the shed, including the haybine model from rambuckel.

Fred

M103B

EDIT: I just noticed, on the bottom right model on the picture, the red finishing touch of the roof interferes with the sliding door. This will be fixed!

EDIT(2): Fixed.

gn_leugim

well that is what I meant

if your model textures turn grey after navigating on the maps, save it and reopen it again, it should work

mrbisonm

Ok, I got it.....I think. No one really explained the whole thing COMPLETELY, but listening to one and the other I finally got it.

The thing is that when simply applying the texture to the main window it doesn't help. The texture will disappear when applying the opacity.  I mean the opacity only works if you apply the texture in the mainwindow and the same beside the opacity button again. (why twice=stupid program)

Anyways, I tried it once (see below) and it worked. Thanks gn_leugim, rambuckel and all the others that helped me to understand the opacity "thingy". I only wonder why there isn't a detailed tutorial for this. Unless everyone knew, beside me. ;)

Thank You.

Fred

rambuckel

That's exactly what I wrote  $%Grinno$% But maybe not clear enough ;) But nevertheless great that you made it to transparency  :thumbsup:

mrbisonm

Quote from: rambuckel on December 10, 2012, 09:04:56 AM
That's exactly what I wrote  $%Grinno$% But maybe not clear enough ;) But nevertheless great that you made it to transparency  :thumbsup:

lol...Now that I read it again, you're right. With help from gn_leugim and you , I finally made it.... ;)
Now I am back BATting full time.

Fred

rambuckel

gn_leugim

Quote from: mrbisonm on December 10, 2012, 09:11:17 AM
Quote from: rambuckel on December 10, 2012, 09:04:56 AM

lol...Now that I read it again, you're right. With help from gn_leugim and you , I finally made it.... ;)
Now I am back BATting full time.

Fred

thank you and great to know ;D

mrbisonm

I just finished another model, the M104B, which exists in 3 different colours with different props. The details and all models will be shown in the FrankU/Nexis Coop thread once they are finished.
This is a longer version of the M103 with some different details and textures. Only one door is half open to show a trailer. (made by rambuckel)  Model 104A has fully opened doors and M104C is closed.

M104B

I will be back tomorrow or the day after with the last shed model and then continue with the silos.

Fred

EDIT: I almost forgot, there is another model that I haven't even started working on, it's the big modern shed that we see more and more these days (all over the world)
So, there's still two models to work on.

cogeo

Just few notes about the transparency thingy:
- Transparency works normally in gmax and 3DSmax, if all objects visible through the semitransparent surface belong to the same scene. For example, a building with a glass roof, but with opaque walls and floor/interior, or a greenhouse, would look OK, without having to tweak the model after exporting. The only thing that may not work well are shadows cast by the semitransparent surface in gmax (it's 100% dense, and you cannot even set objects to not cast or receive shadows, it doesn't work). Tweaking it doesn't help either.
- You need to tweak the model only if you want to be able to dislpay through the semitransparent surface objects not belonging to the scene (terrain, lot or network textures, other models, automata and effects). Strangely enough, the shadows cast by a tweaked model are OK, ie they are as dense as the opacity or the opacity map of the material.
- In many cases, just making the roof semitransparent and tweaking the model is not enough, because some of the scene's (opaque) objects are projected on the top face of the LODshell, thus obscuring every non-scene object that is located behind it. In such cases the solution is to render the roof and the rest of the BAT as separate scenes. For example, to make a tram shelter, with a canopy, supporting columns and some small platform, you have to split the scene into two parts, one containing the canopy, and another onw with the columns and the platform, each one having its own proper LODshell. Otherwise part of the columns might be prijected on top face of the LODshell, thus obscuring the passing tram automata, which is wrong. The two separate models can be combined into one using the Resource Key Type 4 property, or SC4 Model Tweaker's Merge operation.

mrbisonm

Hm...that sounds interesting, cogeo, I had in mind to render the model in two parts anyways, but from there on I didn't yet know where to go. Now I will, thanks to you. ;) And thanks for dropping in.
I only hope that it will work because I have the tendency to give up and contour the problems when it becomes too difficult and spending time and time and time on a thing that isn't worth it.
I will work on the transparency project this weekend and get back to you all with the results.

Now I am busy rendering all those previous shedmodels.

Fred

mrbisonm

Although I didn't have much time this weekend, because of family visits and the updating of my MD, I was still able to create another shedmodel. The newer style sheds that are simple and not too expensive to build.
The roof I made with Frank's favourite texture, but I will make at least two other models with different roof texture. Maybe I will even add some more details to the model since it kinda looks too clean and simple too me. Any ideas?

This model is the 108B. The 108 will come in 3 or maybe 4 different styles and textures.
The haywagon inside the shed will be available later as a part of my farm machinery pack as Props and MMP's.

Fred

Swordmaster

Looking good, Fred.

I think the model is fine; simple often works wonders. But I agree that the roof texture isn't for everyone. I think this would look a little out of place in the game. Maybe, without sacrificing the look of cheap synthetic materials, it can be made a little less regular and clean. I'm sure Frank won't mind that.

Cheers
Willy

FrankU

Hmmmm, apparently there is some misunderstandig about my preferences.

The color of the roof might be the color I like, but as we all are accustomed to interesting textures by mrbisonm we will quickly agree that there is some improvement to be done. The roof is a blank green plane. Surely you have something more interesting at hand? Fred?

But the model is very good and the haywagon looks promising.
A door in the backside too? Maybe? Would be nice as one of the available variations.

Frank

gn_leugim

QuoteThe color of the roof might be the color I like, but as we all are accustomed to interesting textures by mrbisonm we will quickly agree that there is some improvement to be done. The roof is a blank green plane. Surely you have something more interesting at hand? Fred?

I have to agree here. apart from that, it looks good :)