• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Question about modding

Started by aeronautik, June 27, 2014, 07:39:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aeronautik

Hi there!

I'm have a question, and that is, how do I create mods for SimCity 4? I'm not sure where to start, like what tools I am supposed to use to be able to create mods. I do have experience on 3D modelling and texturing so none of that is a problem, I'm wondering more about where I should start if I were to make some props for this, for example train props and stations etc. So where do I start? Like what tools to unpack .dat files or similar to create mods.
I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong section of the forum, if so please forgive me for being new and feel free to move the thread. Also any help is very much appreciated and I'm looking forward to your answers in order to begin modding this wonderful game.

Best regards,
aeronautik

vortext

Hi there aeronautik and welcome to SC4D! 

It's kinda hard to answer such a broad question as there're many tools available. It really depends on what you want to do and even then, there're usually a number of ways to go about.

At any rate, I'd say the Reader is the number one tool. It's really versatile, both for picking apart and creating files. However, because it's quite a powerful tool it can be bewildering at first, especially if you're not familiar (yet) with the internal file structures. So besides playing around with the Reader, I'd suggest you also browse this and other forums for tutorials and such so you become more acquainted with the SC4 lingo.

Hope this helps get you started!  :)
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

aeronautik

Quote from: vortext on June 27, 2014, 08:38:03 AM
Hi there aeronautik and welcome to SC4D! 

It's kinda hard to answer such a broad question as there're many tools available. It really depends on what you want to do and even then, there're usually a number of ways to go about.

At any rate, I'd say the Reader is the number one tool. It's really versatile and consequently can be bewildering at first, especially if you're not familiar (yet) with the internal file structures. So besides playing around with the Reader, I'd suggest you also browse this and other forums for tutorials and such so you become more acquainted with the SC4 lingo.

Hope this helps get you started!  :)

Alright. Thanks for the answer!

eggman121

Welcome  ;D

To start with models the first tool you should get is Gmax From Turbosquid (offsite) with the Building Architecture Tool (B.A.T) from the Maxis link on this site.

The Lot Editor is also an excellent tool for making lots and comes with the Plugin Manager (A tool that makes your .sc4Desc files)

Pim-X is also an excellent tool to make .sc4Desc files (A file that links your model to the Lot). Pim-X also has a Lot editing function and in my opinion better than the Standard Maxis Lot Editor since you can snap objects to certain coordinates.

There is also the matter of Transport Enabling your Lot when you come to that stage. I'm not sure about the exact details but I'm sure someone should be able to fill you in on the detail.

You can also use other peoples props and textures on your Lot but make sure that if you ever release a MOD e.g train station with other peoples props that you ALWAYS make a link to the props and Textures you sourced and acknowledge you prop sources (e.g prop packs) There are severe penalties for not following those instructions. You CAN'T include someone Else's props without there consent in your mod. You have to make them a dependency. This may sound harsh but if you choose to use someone Else's property you have to give due credit. Some props and textures can be quite challenging to create.

If you have any technical detail that you need help with there is the sc4Wiki which is linked to this site and if you are really stuck you can always Google the problem (Someone may have had the problem before) or ask by starting a topic.

I wish you well. We all have to start somewhere when we start Modding!

-eggman121

aeronautik

Quote from: eggman121 on June 27, 2014, 11:05:13 PM
Welcome  ;D

To start with models the first tool you should get is Gmax From Turbosquid (offsite) with the Building Architecture Tool (B.A.T) from the Maxis link on this site.

The Lot Editor is also an excellent tool for making lots and comes with the Plugin Manager (A tool that makes your .sc4Desc files)

Pim-X is also an excellent tool to make .sc4Desc files (A file that links your model to the Lot). Pim-X also has a Lot editing function and in my opinion better than the Standard Maxis Lot Editor since you can snap objects to certain coordinates.

There is also the matter of Transport Enabling your Lot when you come to that stage. I'm not sure about the exact details but I'm sure someone should be able to fill you in on the detail.

You can also use other peoples props and textures on your Lot but make sure that if you ever release a MOD e.g train station with other peoples props that you ALWAYS make a link to the props and Textures you sourced and acknowledge you prop sources (e.g prop packs) There are severe penalties for not following those instructions. You CAN'T include someone Else's props without there consent in your mod. You have to make them a dependency. This may sound harsh but if you choose to use someone Else's property you have to give due credit. Some props and textures can be quite challenging to create.

If you have any technical detail that you need help with there is the sc4Wiki which is linked to this site and if you are really stuck you can always Google the problem (Someone may have had the problem before) or ask by starting a topic.

I wish you well. We all have to start somewhere when we start Modding!

-eggman121

Thanks a lot for the answer!

mgb204

For Transit Enabling (the easy way at least), you'll want a copy of SC4Tools, when you go down this rabbit hole then you're going to have quite a shopping list of applications :).

If stations are your goal, then it's probably a good idea to start by looking at some other stations in the Lot Editor and getting familiar with how all the pieces go together. The more familiar you are with what props already exist, the easier you will make life for yourself when deciding what pieces to make from scratch.

I'd also highly recommend reading through SmileyMK's latest CJ entry here (scroll down to post from 25th June), there is a great tutorial walking you through creating a large station, albeit with existing props. It will help you to understand many of the processes involved in making the actual station.

vester

Just a little about quoting. There is no need to include the hole quote, when its just a thank you.
Use quote when you have a question to a specific part of a post.
Quoting a post and not using for anything, is just noise, specially when the post is just above it and there is just that one since your last post.
Only time I would quote the post above would be to bring it to a new page.

You could just have written:
eggman: Thank you for the answer!

mgb: When point to a specific post, you could click on the title of the post, then use the new addresse:
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=12096.msg482203#msg482203