• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Neo Byzantinian Empire of Stropon

Started by Strechnitz, April 11, 2007, 12:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emperor Stormont

What a simply wonderful second tour. Christine was of course a 'lovely' guide as one would expect.

Our guest would like to apologise for accidently falling against the intercom box during the tour, for at least half an hour the lovely vocal tones of Christine could not be heard, he of course fixed it as soon as he could.

Looking forward to the next update, stunning work.

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

Pat

LOL the "Bliss Report" the poor emporer.  Stretch i do love the last few updates great travels here and i look forward to more - pat a happy travler

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

kwakelaar

A red headed Mr Kwakelaar quite enjoyed this tour of Apollonerfeldt and its many sights. As Christine pointed out the refreshments at the monastery were a bit less than we are getting used to from her (I think I saw her pulling something out from her purse during our visit there).....no need to walk down the hill after this trip I can just roll down.

Again I like the city behind the walls, another great collection of bats to make this small town. You have made great use of the landscape to build your castle, monastery and walled city. The market square has turned out very nice surrounded by all the important buildings of the town.

I love how you elaborate on small details about the buildings and their history and also the stories about the grand families of Stropon are interesting.

I can't wait to see what you (and Christine) will be showing us next.

Strechnitz

Stropon Times, we even tell the Emperor what to read!
Welcome to the international edition of the Stropon Times. This edition holds excerpts of the most important issues of last week's edition.

Imperial Bureau for Tourism new pawn in Claws Diplomacy strategy?!
Strechnitz from our Citadel hill correspondent.

It has come to our attention that a group of international diplomatic guests are touring through the Empire. Their goal?  'Propaganda to flood our nation with premature diplomatic relations! An unheard of breach into our sovereignty!' declared a spokesman of the Lord High Treasurer o/t Realm, leader of the 'Paw' faction within the Imperial Cabinet. 'This flagrant abuse of power by the Lord High Chancellor is a clear indication that he force the Empire to follow his desired course of action while our emperor is recovering from his attack of fatigue!'

The Cabinet of the Lord High Chancellor who is regarded ad the leader of the 'Claw'  faction responded to these allegations thusly. 'All this racket caused by the cabinet of the Lord High Treasurer is absurd. The group of diplomatic guests are indeed on a tour through the Empire, and they are lead by a senior manager of the IBT. However the IBT does not resort under the Lord High Chancellors office but under the Cabinet of The lord High Minister of Foreign Affairs, Renkelstein. The Lord High Chancellor does welcome the opening of our borders and commence Diplomatic relations with our fellow countries in the world. Which the Lord High Treasurer clearly does not! However, this group was invited by the Emperor himself before he was temporarily incapacitated, and so there is no reason at all to think that there is some kind of hidden agenda from this office to bypass normal Cabinet proceedings.'

The group of people whose details are kept secret are under the care of  Lady Christine Blancmanger. Who we tracked down to a country estate of  a noble family closely connected to one of the Lord High Ministers on the Imperial Cabinet. She reacted on the matter. 'The very thought that there would even be a mere hint of a conspiracy to open diplomatic relations behind the backs of the imperial ministers is simply lovely, I mean preposterous! This group of highly distinguished guests are merely shown our proud nation as a sign of goodwill on behalf of our government. There are no strings attached to it in any way!'  To the question of our reporter whether or not an Atlantan national was part of the group. (with who's country our government has just signed a treaty to start diplomatic relations) misses Blancmanger could give no conclusive answer. Our reporters will stay on this topic to make sure that no detail is missed on this possible scandal which could tear the imperial government apart. And all this happens while our glorious leader sleeps on and on.

Lady Christine Blancmanger, denies being pawn of The Lord High Chancellor.

Is Jerome Victor IV becoming sleeping beauty?
Strechnitz, from our Palace correspondent

The 'sleep' of the emperor has entered it's third week. Doctors have declared  our monarch fit enough to be moved from his apartments in the Citadel Palace to Kayserbürgen Palace, the official Imperial Residence. The Emperor did not appear in public but had Lord Freiten, his head of Staff make a personal message public that our ruler feels much better and looks forward sleeping in his own bed at Kayserbürgen. The thousands of spectators who flocked along the route of the motorcade transporting the Emperor never got to see him. The Car in which Jerome Victor IV was moved had blinded windows. The fact that nobody has seen his Holy Imperial Majesty upsets some who start talking about plots and conspiracies. People in the street have expressed their hopes to see a proof of life soon.

Kayserbürgen Palace.

Lord High Minister Renkelstein brakes off holiday.
Nargoon, from our correspondent.

Although government officials high and low claim that there are no problems. And that the IBT matter is gravely blown out of proportions by the Chancellery of the Exchequer, the cabinet of Lord High Treasurer von Paufenfels now that his majesty is somewhat incapacitated. Lord High Minister for foreign Affairs, Rudolf R. Renkelstein brakes of the holiday with his brother the count of  Apollonerfeldt and their families to fly back to Strechnitz. This seems an unnescesary precaution if 'nothing is the matter.' Like his private secretary put it. The Lord High Minister was not in the mood to comment on the matter. A spokesman of the ministers cabinet declared that the Atlantan government invited the Emperor for a statevisit, and that the minister comes home for that reason alone. We keep a look out to find out if that is the truth dear readers.

Lord High Minister Renkelstein before boarding his airplane. Claims there is no problem yet brakes of his holiday.

And now for some replies... :)

emilin Thank you very much for your compliments. I'm glad you enjoy my MD Emilin.

Russel Thank you ever so much. the kind message was brought to the attention of the Emperor in one of his awake moments. He sends you his thanks and greetings.

NikNik thank you for your kind words. Do come back for a deep comment ;DI don't mind to hear on your thoughts and criticism. I welcome it.

thundercrack83 Well, misses Blancmanger is hard to get rid off I'm afraid :D this isn't the last you've seen of her. I am very happy with the castle as well. it won't be the last one you will see in Stropon.

bat thank you. I'm glad you apreciate it.

sebes thank you for the Grote Klasse! As I said before, I like his sets. they give a non-batter like me a possibility to custom compose.

belfastuniguy Ain't she? she's so lovely you'd almost wring her neck :D at least myrah thinks so secretly. Oh don't bother fixing anything. We have the chauffeurs to fix those technical glitches.

patfirefghtr A poor emperor indeed!, and as you can read in the Stropon Times, a lot of hush hush is going on at the imperial court. what could it be ()what() I hope you'll continue to be a happy travler.

kwakelaar hehehe now you mind your diet. don't want a belly this summer! Ah yes the famed Stroponese hospitality. You should see the Imperial banquets. They could end world hunger whit those. unfortunately they don't. Thank you for your remarks. I find them very valuable. the next few towns in the tour will have a very different feel and layout from the castletowns you've seen. At least I think so, but that's for the future.

I like some complexity in stories. Details are fun in my opinion because they add depth and some sense of realism to stories. I'm glad you apreciate it.

thank you all, and stay tuned...

Strech.

thundercrack83

Another great update! It sounds like they're may be some palace intrigue going on with the Emperor yet to be seen! I can't wait to find out what happens! The Kayserbürgen Palace looks great, too, by the way! Great work!

kwakelaar

Is she a pawn or a claw?.....or maybe something else entierly. Christine better watch out now or I will make a scene and who knows what kind of consequences that could have $%#Ninj2

Russell

This empire becomes more and more enjoyable. One might even say addictive.  &apls

bat

guurgkud

wow.. i cant believe i missed some great updates due to RL :(

but your updates have been amazing.. and hilarious, especially the one with the tour lady. Those pictures are tremendous, especially those castles. :P

Looking forward to more! :thumbsup:
]http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=7083.0]

Come discover its mysteries...
Tristania // Revisited

tcx

I like your pics they seem so real, and the castles and other buildings too.  :thumbsup:

sebes

Still no news about His Holy Imperial Majesty's health.... I'm getting worried though now  %wrd  Who is with him in that bedroom? ()what()
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Strechnitz

So, time for some correspondence before the blancmanger monster wants all the attrention for herself again :D

thundercrack83 a palace intrigue? with the Emperor? noo! impossible.Rest assured Thundercrack, he is surrounded with the noblest and finest of the Stropon Elite!   ....Oh my who am I kidding here? the poor man must be in danger :o  perhaps he is, perhaps he isn't. time will tell ;)

kwakelaar Good question kwakelaar. she could be neither. perhaps she is merely a decadent pillar of Stropon hospitality used by their righthonourable graces for their own purposes. but rest assured plot or not. The tour was sanctioned by the Emperor. She does her job and all prticipants are entirely safe. so don't worry while enjoying the tour.

I must warn you about making a scene I'm afraid. I fear Christine is an uber-dramaqueen when it comes to making a scene :D :D :D

Russell thank you Russel. I too enjoy power and corruption in a story. But all will be reveiled step by step. I have only scratched the surface on this one. btw how is the rebuilding of bliss coming along?

bat thank  you, and the next update is just around the corner...

guurgkud Don't worry Guurgkud, RL is important too. I can't update half as frequent as I would like to. as I said, more is to come, so keep enjoying yourself.

tcx Thank you very much for the compliments tcx. I'm glad they look real. it is my goal to give my towns and hamlets a sense of realism. I'm glad you apreciate it :)

sebes And so you should. if he is to die the longest reigning dynasty in Stropon History will end.

Who? his personal doctors, a bishop, a few lackeys, and some shadowy hooded figure next to the staue in the corner.....who could he be?...I have no clue sebes...do you? ;)

Strechnitz

AH it is a lovely may morning in Stropon. The sun has risen and bathes the hills around Appolonerfeldt in a golden light. Birds chatter and flowers bloom. Isn't it idyllic? Perhaps the scene comes close to a pre figuration of paradise? Perhaps...perhaps not. But in any case, you all spent a few relaxing days on the Renkelstein Estate. Some of you walked the gardens or the surrounding countryside. Frequented the pubs or theatre at Apollonerfeldt. Some of you spent the days hunting the grounds and fishing in the old quarry. Some of you have terrorised the kitchen staff of Renkelstein Hall together with your rotund hostess during the day. And plundering Renkelsteins stash of cigars and fine cognacs during the evenings in the high ceilinged drawing rooms.  Ah the true life of a country squire, if you have a weakness for luxurious idleness it is the thing for you. Unfortunately, all good things come to an end. Today it is time to resume the grand tour. So this morning when the terrace overlooking the rolling hills of Stropon is prepared for a luscious breakfast. And you all come outside to sit in the sun and enjoy your breakfast. The domestic staff is packing your luggage and transports them to the cars already lined up for the next episode.

Ah! There comes our beloved matron, and effigy of wellbeing with her first plate.

Hello and a good morning to you all. Take last look on this pretty countryside. For we'll be leaving here in about one hour. Did anyone of you hear the good news? No? Shame. His Holy Imperial Majesty has recovered from his fatigue. Isn't that lovely? Yeah! The journalists even talked to me about it. Yeah. Because of you all. Rumours said that it was al a plot to get the old bas... I mean his Holy Imperial Majesty out of the way. Isn't that ridiculous?

Hahahaha. I must confess, some of my countrymen are a bit simple when it comes to foreign affairs. Just like Myra. Simple peasants without the virtues of a cosmopolitan world view like me...are you going to finish that my dear?  Thank you...that's just lovely.

So, everybody ready to go? Ok, let's go to the cars then. Today we'll head south towards Strechnitz. The imperial capitol city. Today we will start at Industriopolis. Industriopolis is a suburb built around strechnitz harbour. The harbour lies on the opposite bank of the Strechen bay. Opposite the glorious city centre with the lovely Citadel and all that. 
Stropon is not all farm and woodland like you saw until now. We also have a glorious industry. One of which is Industriopolis. The nations industry is focussed on domestic needs and exports. Most of the production is shipped of from the ports along the banks of lake Federn into the Mediteranian sea. From there it is shipped to either of our two dominions. Nargoon or Quitaniana. From there it is traded with the rest off the world. It is one of the Quirks of  the Doctrine of Autocracy. Stropon can't have bilateral or trade relations with other countries. But true isolation would have doomed our nation to poverty and decay. And the populace in the two colonies arn't rich enough to keep our economy running. So Stropon trades with the entire world through our two viceroyalties, the colonies of Nargoon and Quitaniana. In this way our government upholds Doctrine while at the same time make good money from international trade. Nifty huh?

there lies Industriopolis before us. The industrial zones, backbone of the economy are on the left and right. And wedged in between are the quarters for the workers and there families. Some people say that those houses are unfit for living in the 21th century. But do workers need more than 4 walls and a roof? It worked for them in the past, so why would it not work now? Oh well... Rising up from behind the factories are the offices of some of the largest trading companies in Stropon.

Starting of with Linguinia Natural Gas corp. They exploit the gas fields under Lake Federn and sell it to the world in Quitaniana.

Here is the mass goods dock. Coal and ore from the mines in Nargoon and transported in bulk, are collected here and processed in the Stroponian plants into machinery and other products. We have our own coal and ore mines in Stropon but they are used as a strategic reserve if the colonies would be lost in the future. And besides. The Nargoon natives are soo much cheaper to use. Ain't that just lovely? Very economical.

Here you see the container terminals. It is a vast growing port activity. Near Simeonopole there are plans to build the largest container port of the Mediterranean Sea.

To your left and right you see the factories where the workers toil and sweat to make a days living. Isn't that lovely? Their lives must be full of contentment knowing they are so useful.

Now we cross the  Bleuschildt Avenue. It is the border between the 19th century industrial zone and the workers housing estates. The Bleuschildt family are one of the first Industrialists who propelled Stropon in the 19th century into the industrial revolution.  We will visit there mansion shortly. To your right by the way, you see the oldest gas powers station of Stropon.

Now, if you look to your right again dear guests you'll see the Industriopolis Fire station and the fin de siecle trainstation both built by the Von Geizhals family to graciously enhance the living conditions of there worker population. Isn't that lovely?

So we'll stop here at the Administration Building dear guests and stretch our legs after this long ride. Now this copper roofed building houses all the amenities the 'proles' need. The council, the prefecture of the civil guard (commissioner of police) the courthouse et cetera. As you can see this building stands amidst luscious green lawns overlooking the lower parts of Industriopolis. Unfortunately the bay is pretty hazy. Or we would have a lovely view on Strechnitz and it's monuments.

Oh well. I suggest we leave the cars for a moment and walk through these boroughs. A small detachment of the civil guard will accompany us, so feel secure. These people may be poor but reasonably harmless. My my what a broad shoulders they have...don't they?....lovely!. Ahem. Is everybody here Myra?

To our left we see Bleuschildt house where the puissant  rich Bleushildt's live. The house is built here to overlook the port and the workers. The three founding families were real Victorian captains of industry. The did not care much for the laundry lists full of titles, coronets and connections of the aristocracy and built there houses where there businesses stood. Here in Industriopolis. Far removed from the elysian hills around Kayserbürgen where the aristocrats slavishly humdrummed around the Imperial court.

The second Mansion is from the von Protzig family. This family of harbour barons started out running errands and small deliveries through Strechnitz. Now they control a major part of the container traffic in this Strechnitz harbour. The palm trees were especially imported from Quitaniana over a hundred years ago.

And now we come to the House of the von Geizhals family. This was built by Otto Sparnen in 1869, who controlled a lot of the trading activities in the harbour. He died unexpected at they age of 40 leaving his entire empire and the hand of his daughter to his 22 year old Secretary Theodore von Geizhals. Thus a new industry mogul was born. Today, the Geizhals corp. control 30 % of all harbour activities. That's a lot huh? The von Geizhals heir, Jurren von Geizhals, plays at the national baseball team and has a net worth of 2 billion. He is the most eligible bachelor of Stropon according to the Strechnitz Vogue.

Now, we enter foreman square. This prosaic name reveals all actually. The foreman of the industries live here with there families. Up on the hill next to the mansions. They were privileged to have access to better shops, cleaner air, and an occasional glimpse of their tycoon bosses and their jewel laden wives when entering or leaving their estates. Isn't that just lovely?

One difference with the workers houses is the fact they have a garden. And don't have to share with other families. Wether they do something with there garden is another thing entirely. Hahaha. And now we'll see where the 'proles' really live.

Don't worry my dear guests. These people look poor but they are harmless. They don't bite or bark. They are actually quite friendly. But we are not going to talk to them. That would waste the time of these fine young civil guards accompanying us. As you can see they have no reason to complain. They have a church and a boys school. So they can pray, read and write. What does one need more?

Ah, I always enjoy a walk down hill; somehow it seems easier than climbing stairs. Hahaha.
Her we have the old market square of the old hamlet that stood here when this side of the bay was nothing more than farmland and marshes before the industrial revolution. The only building reminding of that era is St Christopher's church. in the graveyard  foremen are buried who died during their work in the factories or the docks.

Our long awaited lunch awaits us here in the cock and bull hotel. This way, dear guests. Out of the Industrial Squalor and into the inviting dining room where the buffet of Nautical delights awaits us. Huh what?.....yes...fish Myra. Oh boy I'm starved.   Oh Myra? MYRA! Oh there you are. The civil guards may post outside the hotel. But do ask that young captain in to sit at my table...don't give met hat look you silly woman. Do as I say!

Well, wans;t that a lovely lunch? I am fully refreshed and revitalised. I hope you all are as well. Ok next on the list is the School of the holy Virgin. This is a girl's school for the little ingrates born here. It was deemed wise to separate the sexes in this part of town. You can understand why. Although one has to keep an open mind and such.

Ah, fresh air. One can take only so much of brick labyrinths for one day, can't one? Well here it is open and a fresh breeze flows. If you wondered where the workers are buried then your question is answered. The 'proles' who died while working there shifts are buried here on the acre of death. As you can see there is plenty of room for them here,. It must be a great comfort that everything they need is taken care of locally so they don't have to go to other quarters and annoy better of Strechnitzians with there presence. Hahaha. Ahem, why are you all looking at me like I say things I should not? Oh well, it must be buffet of Nautical delights. Follow me dear guests. On to the civilised surroundings of the office strip.

Ah this is more like it. Thank you captain. You and your men are no longer needed. Give my regards to the Prefect. Oh and erm...If you happen to go to Wieslbrucke in the near future. Don't hesitate to ring my bell. Hihihi It is the Blancmanger mansion. Second castle on the right....can't miss it...bye....tataa!          He wasn't interested in me at all Myra...can you believe it?  What? Shut up please. That suffices. Who does he think he is?...oh well.

Dear guests!  We now stand amidst the office towers of the companies located in Industriapolis. The neo gothic red and white brick Bleuschildt Tower is the headquarters of the Bleuschildt In & Export Corporation. The large granite clad tower on our left with the copper obelisks houses the Imperial Trading Company of which the Imperial family controls 40 % of the stock, and the ministry of Trade. The Lord High Minister of Trade. August Blancmanger, who happen to be my father. Isn't that just lovely? Is traditionally at the same time on the board of directors of Imperial T.C. So it is handy that these institutions share the same building...don't you?

The large art deco tower on the far left is the international headquarters of the Geizhals corp. was rebuilt in 1941 after it's predecessor collapsed due to flaws in the foundations. They contained the remnants of missing building inspectors and tax collectors, their remains weakened the concrete experts say.. Corruption some argued but the overall accepted theory is that the bodies ended up there as the result of a series of misfortunate unrelated events. Right? Lovely!

The tower with the pyramid like roof is the office of the Saint Simeon exploitation company. It controls the vast plantations in Nargoon and Quitaniana owned by the State church. It's members on the board of directors are indeed simeonist bishops. Who often send there personal secretaries because they themselves no nothing about running an international plantation company.

And here we have some more office buildings. I would like to point your attention to the von Protzig tower in the lower center. Just right of that building with the red roof tiles. You see it? Yeah? Lovely. That my dear guests, is the Von Protzig Tower. It is voted the prettiest office tower in Stropon. The statuary on top of the receding terraces, are indeed a beautiful sight. And compared to the Geizhals tower it's foundations are sturdy and trustworthy.

Ah there are the cars waiting for us. We will drive to the Grand Metropole Hotel where we'll stay the rest of the evening and have dinner. Myra is in charge of the evening program. I'll tell you that over dinner.  Oh By the way! Does any of you have some coffers with money that need laundering? You could consider opening a private slush fund account now. The tower on our left with the flag waving is of the STCB or Stropon Trade and Commerce Bank. There is no secret like a Stroponian bank secret ha ha ha. The IBT has a selection of brochures of the Stroponian banks with their rates and offers to your disposal. If you happen to be interested...Myra will give you all information needed. She can also arrange a meeting for you with advisers of the bank of your choice.

Well...that's enough about money. The subject always makes me hungry. To the cars, and to dinner!

And that concludes the next part of the Grand Tour.

"$Deal"$ BTW it is a work of fiction, and the views of Christine do not need to reflect my own. Nor does anything 'Stroponians' say believe or do in this MD. I believe you all know this. furthermore I try to constue a story and aim to hurt noone. Might there still be something that aggravates you please put it in a PM. so we can sort it out together. :)

Thank you.

Take care, ;)
Strech.

Yoder7652

WOW...strech you are so prolific! I try to visit frequently, but it seems that when I do I've missed several updates. As always the tours are wonderful and Christine is hilarious. Love the industrial city, the rowhouses are everywhere  ;D Great as always!

bat

Awesome update! Like the city! A lot of great pictures!

btw, My 1400th post!!

thundercrack83

Another fantastic update! And a massive one, too! I love the pictures of your city, the ports looks great! I also love all the row homes that you set up, too! Great work, my friend! Keep it up!

meinhosen

Fantastic work, Strech!  I love the industrial areas and port surrounded by the vast stretches of worker (erm, prole) housing.  Great work!  :thumbsup:
You're telling me I get to be home for more than 12 months?

Pat

Wow Strech that is very intesnse and i loved it wow great work and plus i dont thinks it
to bad to be simply lol - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

kwakelaar

This is a very original way of setting up a city tile, no smooth transitons from one part to the other but with the story you are telling it looks belivable. Looking at the overview I was thinking that the towers did not belong in the picture but after reading the text accompaning the images I like it.

Great how you have made this workers living area all with the same buildings and plopping some central structures to break up the monotomy.

I should have known that I could never beat Christine at her own game ::)

sebes

:D Great story Strech! 

For a moment I was believing, caused by His Holy Imperial Majesty's reputation on the subject, that had locked himself with a young lady in his quarters...
&Thk/(

Well, we'll see how this turns out in the next episode of Stropon
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN