• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4 will run in software mode next time when launched.

Started by Meastro444, June 17, 2010, 08:03:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meastro444

I have reinstalled SC4 DE on my computer. It worked after the installation (without rebooting). I start my computer again and now I only get this message:

SimCity 4 will run with the software driver when next launched
Except when I try to start it again I get the same message.

I use a HD4870 1gb vid card on 32 bit win7. I updated the drivers to Ati 10.6. Didn't help.

thanks for the help;)

Meastro444
Friend of the Certified Drama Queen :)

jp

I have the same problem too when i try running in hardware mode
i use a nvidia 9400 GT vid card on win xp 32 bit
i posted this thread before whith pics but no replies
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=11103.0

Indisguise

Might try rollbacking the driver updates to the previous version you were using. Could be the updates themselves could be the problem.

Sometimes the updates conflict with certain games, simcity 4 being an older game I doubt they took running it into consideration with the updates.
Colossus X-rated

xxdita

You could also try setting your SC4 shortcut to force software rendering mode, at least until you can figure out what the problem is? Check the Windowed Mode thread.

jp

@xxdita:
it works fine in software mode and i play but i only get the error when i change to hardware mode. after the error message it changes automatically to software mode. is it the same for you Meastro444?
@Indisguise:
you mean download and install an old driver? would it affect other new games?

jmyers2043

hello JP

Did the game work before with the nvidia 9400 GT video card? or is this a new card and this is the first time you've attempted to play SC4 with the new card?

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

jp

it worked for some time with the card when i first got it (about a year ago) in hardware mode then I switched to software mode but when i tried the other day to run in hardware mode i got this error, maybe its when i updated my driver

xxdita

New drivers can often wreak havoc on older games, as they are generally for the latest and most intense games & apps. It's been my experience that unless a certain game I'm playing requires the latest driver update, it's best not to bother with it. I'm slow about updating Windows too though...

jmyers2043

Hey jp

It sounds like you've answered your own question.

I have a 9 year old computer that works like a champ. Does everything I want it to do. SC4 is what I do in the evening to unwind from my work day. It doesn't look like I can be much of a technical help. But I wish you luck.

Best Regards -

Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

jp

I tried an older driver and also the one on the cd that came with the video card (the one it used to work with) and still didn't work ()what()

catty

You may need to edit your SC4 Graphics Rules.sgr and Video Cards.sgr files so the game recognises your card and uses hardware settings instead of software mode

see here for an explanation on how to alter them

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=24&threadid=111401

:)
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Meastro444

Quote from: catty on June 19, 2010, 10:48:57 AM
You may need to edit your SC4 Graphics Rules.sgr and Video Cards.sgr files so the game recognises your card and uses hardware settings instead of software mode

see here for an explanation on how to alter them

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=24&threadid=111401

:)
This didn't work for me. I still get the same message. Forcing software mode via the short cut doesn't work either.

catty

Quote from: Meastro444 on June 21, 2010, 07:15:14 AM
This didn't work for me. I still get the same message. Forcing software mode via the short cut doesn't work either.

()sad()

I've done a bit of looking around and can't find another reason for this message, its been reported by a lot of MAC users,
the only other thing is when I took a look at your video specs, the recommendation seems to be that needs a lot of power and cooling to run properly,
but as its SimCity you are trying to run I wouldn't have thought it would cause issues ...

sorry I can't help, hopefully someone else can come up with a solution for you

catty
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Meastro444

Quote from: catty on June 21, 2010, 11:58:23 AM
()sad()

I've done a bit of looking around and can't find another reason for this message, its been reported by a lot of MAC users,
the only other thing is when I took a look at your video specs, the recommendation seems to be that needs a lot of power and cooling to run properly,
but as its SimCity you are trying to run I wouldn't have thought it would cause issues ...

sorry I can't help, hopefully someone else can come up with a solution for you

catty
The vid card does need a lot of power, but I havent experienced any distorted graphics in other games. SC4 doesn't run at all.