• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Internet Explorer 9

Started by WC_EEND, September 15, 2010, 01:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WC_EEND

I downloaded internet explorer 9 today, and I must say I'm quite impressed. The UI has been completely overhauled (which has more or less been nicked from Google Chrome) it's much faster than IE8 and, unlike firefox, it correctly displays photos here, over at SC4D. The downsides: it's only a beta release and only the inprivate browsing works on my computer (regular IE9 keeps crashing for some weird reason), but even the current beta is way better than IE8 ever was. I would also like to add that I am in no way a Microsoft fan, but they did a good job on this one.

More info and download here
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

io_bg

Hmm... I've never had problems with displaying pictures when using Firefox... I think I'll stick with it $%Grinno$%
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

WC_EEND

Yeah, well after loading the first page of your MD, I noticed it has exactly the same problem, so that point is now irrelevant (atleast in my case)
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

Jonathan

It's alright, but there's not that much new on the user side. While on the inside I'm half guessing that it's a relief for web developers as Microsoft seem to be following standards. (though IE9 doesn't work on XP which is still the most used OS)
Personally I don't like the UI, it would be better if the address bar expanded when you click on it to enter text and the tab bar hides temporarily.
They've made a huge fuss about being able to pin websites to the taskbar, but well my taskbar is filled with application so I won't use it.

The Chrome Web Apps will be much better than the semi-webapp thing IE9 has going on, especially as there will be a web app store and the webapps will be able to modify the toolbar. (why is the tab bar still there in a pinned page? And I don't care what colour the back/forward buttons are) Also I know it's the beta but compared to Chrome the startup is noticeably slower. I had thought that FF4 would take on Chrome and it still might but Chrome is just simple to use and has the backing of the biggest name on the web which makes sense seeing as it's a web browser.
Also I hate that the text on the UI and webpages is a bit fuzzy.

All in all it's a good update ... for internet explorer. But it's current state is a few months behind other browsers and other browsers have shorter release cycles. So it's good for people who think that Internet Explorer is the only way to go the internet, but it's not a game changer.

frdrcklim

It's actually an improvement for me on the desktop. On the laptop, I encounter some problems when I download using the 64-bit browser. I hope it's not an isolated problem for me and that it gets sorted out on the release. Though, it does look a lot more like chrome.
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.