• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Siilijoki

Started by noahclem, December 07, 2010, 06:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sciurus

WELCOME ON THE THIRD PAGE - BIENVENUE EN PAGE 3
Very nice update my friend &apls and joyeux Noël :P

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Tomas Neto

Yeah..., awesome update, and great night pictures!!! Fantastic work my friend!!!  &apls &apls
Happy new year!!!

nedalezz

Thats an awesome mosaic!

I really like the style you present your cities with.

You are also quite talented at making something I find very tricky: interchanges :)

Schlucke

The mosaic is really awesome  :o
My favourite part of it is the cathedral .... that really looks great!

cubby420

Excellent update! Cool interchange too...I wish I had the patience to create something like that. The transit map is awfully impressive as well.

Jmouse

Very nice update, Noah. I'm starting to understand how the interchange works, but it's still an ambitious project.

I like the way you've done your maps. I'm working on a map project now and you've given me a few useful ideas. I'm too much of a tightwad to buy map-making software for a computer game, but I don't have enough time to go into much detail doing everything by hand.

This latest batch of photos are really good, and the night shots are excellent. 3.7 is especially nice, and the church makes me think of the most important part of Christmas.

A Happy New Year to one and all!
Joan

TheMentalist

City looks great. Can't wait to see more.  &apls :thumbsup: ;)

penguin007

Wow that interchange is huge!! Your city definately looks like its developing nicely aswell!! Will definately come back for another visit!!

Will

nbvc

noahclem

I've had a bit of trouble with the main tile of Siilijoki lately--some kind of plugin-induced instant CTD that I haven't got around to sorting out yet. So for the moment that area is on hold and we'll move next door to Pohjanmaa. Here's a quick look at what I've been up to:

I hope your curiosity is piqued  :D  More to come shortly!

A big thank you to everyone who took the time to view my MD, especially those kind enough to give me feedback!  :thumbsup:

nbvc - Thank you very much!

penguin007 - Glad you liked the interchange and my city! I look forward to having you back.

TheMentalist - Thanks a lot for visiting and commenting!

Joan - Thanks! I tried to find some kind of free map-making software online but struck out. Although I'm pleased with the result of my map I wish there was an easier way to make it than going pixel by pixel in GIMP. The interchange here is a little simpler than the last although creating it was not without its own headaches ;)

Andrew - Thanks a lot! I've noticed that since posting here you seem to have come up with the patience for something like that with your nice new RHW update  ;D  And congratulations again on your engagement!  &hlp

Schlucke
- Thank you very much! Using buildings as nice as that cathedral makes it pretty easy to get a good picture! I think it's one of Debussyman's Berlin ones if you were curious.

nedalezz - Thanks, I'm glad you liked my work! Thanks for commenting and I hope to see you around here :thumbsup:

Tomas - Thanks alot, Happy New Year to you as well!

Guillaume - Merci beaucoup!! Thanks for visiting again!

io_bg - Thank you, I'm glad you liked them! As I mentioned above I haven't done any work on the last tile lately so I was unable to follow your suggestion and redevelop the lakefront parks. Hope developing the parks here in Pohjanmaa is a close substitute  ;)  I've had a lot of fun using unconventional "seawall" strategies, which I'll show more of in the upcoming update.

Art
- Thanks a lot! Fireworks would have been a great idea, especially with New Years close to the time of my update. Wish I would have thought of that! Thanks for visiting again  :thumbsup:

Battlecat

Hope you sort out the CTD issue, I would hate to see you loose all this great work!  I like how your interchange turned out in the second shot today.

noahclem

Thanks a lot Battlecat! I'm pretty sure I'm capable of resolving the issue, but have been putting it off a bit after discovering there was no easy fix. Worst case scenario I've got a backup that's about three weeks old--and it will take a lot less time than that to catch up after already making the plans I had to make to get from there to here! In any case, I thought I'd throw in another image involving the newest interchange:

The whole thing is symmetrical and this is the less-gritty, greener side. I guess it's a distorted form of par-clo with roundabout intersections. I'll post the rest of the details with the next update but at the moment I'm more excited about discovering a workaround that will save my bridges and tunnels from the "setsealevel 0" cheat. This will enable all kinds of fun in this tile and the old one!  &idea

Tomas Neto

Wonderful pictures, my friend!!!  Very well done, indeed!!!   :thumbsup:
I loved the tunnel under the bridge!!!   &apls &apls

art128

Nice interchange there, Noah ! I like how you filled the empty spaces.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

dedgren

I just spent about 5 minutes walking around pic 3.11 in my mind - very nice.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

noahclem

Welcome back to the Siilijoki Region! For this update we'll go just east of the central tile, Siilijoki proper, to Pohjanmaa.

REPLIES:

Tomas - Thank you very much again! I've got a matching tunnel on the other side of the bridge for you in this update!

Art - Thanks a lot! I've got a bit more of it here, with a little explanation.

David - Glad you liked the interchange! As mentioned I've got a bit more of the area in this update.

UPDATE III - WELCOME TO POHJANMAA

The borough of Pohjanmaa, which means "bottom land" in the aboriginal language, has a history older than Siilijoki proper and contains the remains of the first trading post and fortification of the area's non-indigenous settlers. It's primary geographic feature is the mouth of the Iijoki, which empties into the Siilijoki here. Pohjanmaa is just downriver from Siilijoki proper and is only a few kilometers from open sea. The deep estuary water here makes it a prime spot for the area's largest port and much of the borough is industrialized. While much of the area consists of dirty and manufacturing industry and housing for the relatively unskilled laborers those businesses demand, the area is also home to many parks, scenic shorelines, and unique neighborhoods. Much of this is concentrated in the older West Pohjanmaa where most of the industrial areas have been replaced by wall-to-wall storefronts, lofts, rowhouses, markets, and parks.

3.20 - Pohjanmaa within the Siilijoki region (right of the black line)
[/b]

3.21 - A zoomed out shot (looking southeast) of the currently developed portion of the borough of Pohjanmaa--some areas are a work in progress

As mentioned the primary geographical feature of Pohjanmaa is the Iijoki (river) as it empties into the Siilijoki estuary

3.22 - This picture shows West Pohjanmaa at the top and East Pohjanmaa at bottom

3.23 - West Pohjanmaa includes a large green space with a huge market selling all kinds of wares

Besides the park market there are a number of other interesting and eclectic shops in West Pohjanmaa

3.26 - This area lies between the park market, the bridge from East Pohjanmaa, the main road to Siilijoki, and the rest of West Pohjanmaa's CBD. The rail line from Siilijoki crosses by viaduct. Because this prime business location and major transport crossroads occupy the same space there are a number of not-at-grade intersections.   

3.27 - Route 9, Siilijoki's east-west motorway, skirts just to the north of the park market in West Pohjanmaa with an interchange immediately across the river in East Pohjanmaa.

While it might seem a bit more complicated than necessary, there is a method to my madness here. I try to be very particular about scale and realism in the game and I've found few RL motorway ramps less than 200m (~12 tiles) long, with most longer. I designed this interchange to be as compact as possible without violating my rules on ramp length and distance-between-interchanges-to-avoid-weaving (~300m/19 tiles). When I conceived (prior to any development of this tile) it I'd hoped to squeeze it in on the opposite bank of the Iijoki. After realizing that wouldn't be possible without violating the 2nd rule I mentioned and also realizing that it would not be possible to make it as compact as my initial designs specified (somewhere along the line I seem to have lost my ability to make tunnels adjacent to crossing transit networks) I decided to place it on the east bank of the river.

I'll post another image of this when I finally get everything eye-candied-up and the surrounding areas looking the way I want them to.

3.28 - To create that interchange a pretty massive amount of dirt was needed. The result is a nice-looking lake oasis in the middle of an otherwise unsightly industrial area

I hope you've enjoyed this update! Please take the time to let me know what you think ;)

Tomas Neto

Amazing update, very nice city my friend!!! Fantastic!!!   &apls &apls

RickD

Great work. I love the variety. There is something interesting to discover in every picture.
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Terring7

Can't wait to see the city complete :)
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Jmouse

Hi Noah. This tutorial might help with the CTDs. Diggis wrote one, too, but I haven't found it yet so I'll send him a PM.

Judging by your excellent interchange, I've concluded you're an expert at pre-planning. Lucky you! :) I like the looks of 3.12 - always like SimFox's trees - but I question blocking the view of traffic with tall trees. Considering the mechanics of the interchange, though, it might be perfectly alright.

It's always helpful to see an overview (3.20), and 3.21 is a nice mid-view which shows some interesting curves and diagonals. Looks like you're using your transport system to the fullest.

The marketplace in 3.23 is a great idea, and combined with a lot of green space, the photo looks very inviting. Once again, I have to question the lack of a barrier between motorists and the water, though. I see this kind of setup a lot and wonder if there's any in-game solution to such an unrealistic layout.

3.24 is a charming place where a person could spend a pleasant Sunday afternoon strolling around, and the night shot of the marketplace (3.25) looks great.

You're doing a fine job,
and I hope we'll be seeing a lot more of your work here.

Joan :)