• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The 'Ultimate' SC4 Computer specs...

Started by Gringamuyloca, February 03, 2011, 11:12:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haljackey

Quote from: Grneyes on July 11, 2012, 04:44:09 PM
Mine just doesn't have the .exe after the Simcity4. I don't know how to attach a pic or I would. I'm assuming it's the same thing?

Hmm... I would assume so but there's no way to know for sure. Perhaps reinstalling the game will make the EXE file become a little more prominent?

To 'attach' a picture, simply upload to an image hosting site and use the image code to embed it in your posts.

ps2owner

Oh! I know the problem! He hasn't set the computer to put files extensions for know file types.
Right?
When you go to tools/Folder options in the folder view tab, does it look like this?
(Please note that I have XP, but I don't think it's too much different on Windows 7)

(Sorry about my crappy MSPaint job)
If it's not unchecked, uncheck, it, and click the OK button.
Only do this If you want to see file types after all files, Though
(The 3 letter extension)
I think your exe is fine. Does the SimCity 4 File have a Icon next to it?)

z

Quote from: Grneyes on July 11, 2012, 04:44:09 PM
Thanx! Mine just doesn't have the .exe after the Simcity4. I don't know how to attach a pic or I would. I'm assuming it's the same thing?

Yes; in Windows Explorer, under Tools->Folder Options, on the View tab, uncheck the box "Hide extensions for known file types", and then you'll see them.

Grneyes

Haljackey, why do you specify your computer to use DirectX? Does it affect game performance?

Kitsune

Quote from: Haljackey on July 10, 2012, 08:33:22 AM

Without the patch, SC4 will only use a max of 2GB of RAM, which may slow down the game if it's maxed out. With this patch, my game normally uses 3-3.5 GB of RAM.

:o wow thats a lot of ram.. I have the same patch and have not seen it go over 1.1 gb once... and I have 18gb of ram.
~ NAM Team Member

NCGAIO

There seems to be a confusion in the information:

The limitation of 2GB is due to allocation of 32-bit systems and can not be supplanted by any path in these systems.

The reference to the 4GB Patch is for a supposed solution (Modified exe) that would make it two 2GB available when running on 64 bits, as explained on your page

"Why are things this way on x64 is easy to explain. On x86 applications have 2GB of virtual memory out of 4GB (2GB The Other are reserved for the system). On x64 These two Other GB Can now be accessed by 32bit applications"

Regarding the use of more than one nucleus would like to see any image about....  once the exe is known single thread process

Grneyes

Quote from: NCGAIO on July 28, 2012, 07:45:43 PM

There seems to be a confusion in the information:

The limitation of 2GB is due to allocation of 32-bit systems and can not be supplanted by any path in these systems.

The reference to the 4GB Patch is for a supposed solution (Modified exe) that would make it two 2GB available when running on 64 bits, as explained on your page

"Why are things this way on x64 is easy to explain. On x86 applications have 2GB of virtual memory out of 4GB (2GB The Other are reserved for the system). On x64 These two Other GB Can now be accessed by 32bit applications"

Regarding the use of more than one nucleus would like to see any image about....  once the exe is known single thread process

So do people with Windows 7 really need this then? I still get "high capacity usage" with the patch. I guess it doesn't matter?

NCGAIO

Sorry .... not understand the questions!

WC_EEND

The way I understand this is that it actually works similar to the 4GB patch for Skyrim (which was later also included in an update by Bethesda)
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

NCGAIO

Well... technically speaking

QuoteThe 3, 3.12 or 3.5 GB of memory a 32 bit system can address is shared between all open programs, but in the case of Windows, each program alone can not use more than 2 GB.

That's because, as the operating system, programs for 32-bit address memory using 32-bit addresses and are therefore able to address 4 GB of memory. In Windows, half of the address range of each program is reserved for the kernel, mainly for communication between the operating system and application.

Thus, each application gets only half its area of ​​addresses available, which limits its use of memory to 2 GB so this is an important limitation in some games and heavy applications, which can easily exceed that mark.

Worse than that, besides not access all available memory, the 32-bit applications often crash without warning to break the barrier of 2 GB, displaying a generic error message.

Only programs that explicitly indicate that are capable of access more than 2 GB are authorized by the system to use the additional addresses ie, exactly what they do the famous patchs mentioned however they bring some problems.

Even when using a 64-bit Operating System combined with a 64-bit addresses a large volume of between 3 and 4 GB still reserved in order to maintain compatibility with the 32-bit programs, so that again, at least 512 MB between 3 and 4 GB of memory are not used.

Some cards offer 64-bit option "Memory Hole Remapping" (or similar) in the setup. When you enable this option, the memory areas reserved for the device is moved to a higher area of ​​Virtual Address Space (which in 64-bit processors is much higher), releasing the bulk of memory previously inaccessible because of them.

Other cards Memory Hoisting support (the word "hoist," which means to raise or suspend), a feature that follows another principle, leaving the addresses of the devices where they are and the snippets of memory remapping subscribed by them to higher areas of the spectrum addresses, allowing the system has access.

One observation is that these two options cause many compatibility problems with applications so their use depends on the convenience depending on your case.

In Windows XP you can reserve 3 GB for the applications using the "/ 3GB" in boot.ini file. However, using it cause stability problems in a very large number of programs, so it is not necessarily a good idea.

In the case of Vista, you can adjust the values ​​in a more flexible via "IncreaseUserVa" the BCDedit. Through it you can book, for example, 2.2 or 2.4 GB for the applications .. In general, works well with the allocation of up to 2.6 GB for the applications. From there you run the risk of seeing blue screens.

For 64-bit OS you still will have the added difficulty of having to run in compatibility mode so it's easy to see in all cases that the use of any option only to allow  minimize the problem does not solve

So the answer to the use or not of the patch is that each case may have a different outcome depends on the machine,  OS or the  application  then for those who want to use have to try, but do not forget to back-up before the executable