• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Southern Finland

Started by j3r3, March 01, 2011, 10:00:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j3r3

Hello everone!

One day when I was driving around Southern Finland, I got this idea of trying to make a miniature of the country in SC4.
So when I got home, I started planning how to do it and in what scale.
My idea is to make a somewhat exact copy of the main road network and cities that would correspond to their real counterparts.
As some of you may know, Finland is loaded with bigger and smaller lakes and to make my project somewhat doable, I have decided to include only the biggest.
As with the terrain, I wont even try to replicate every hill and valley, mostly because the hills are not at all high in southern Finland and there are thousands of small bumps and a few somewhat larger masses.
I will mostly add hills and small lakes as I go from tile to tile to make the terrain characteristics somewhat alike the real world. This might be severly inaccurate at some locations as I will do the majority by memory (and yes I've been doing a lot of driving and exploring in the south!).

To the left a map of what it should look like and to the right the map I've created with planned city locations.

As the map is 14x14 large tiles, it will take some time to get it all done, but I hope I will get feedback and ideas from all of you that follow this thread.
For those of you that want to know more about this country of thousand lakes, check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland for the Wikipedia article about Finland in general
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highways_in_Finland as the road network plays an important role in this MD.

Hope you will enjoy this, I will get back with updates as soon as I have something!

rooker1

Nice to see another new comer to the MD section.
I never found making my own maps by hand very much fun and this is why if you are serious about making a recreation of Finland that I suggest you ask our map expert blade2k5 in his thread to possible make you an exact map, blade2k5's Real World+Fantasy Maps.  Nicely ask and you may recieve. ;)
I look forward to seeing more here.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Ciuu96

Nice idea, it's always great to see something from Finland! And be sure to make Turku well! :D
Has it really been almost 2 years?
Must return. :)

noahclem

Welcome to SC4D and good luck with your MD! Nice to see Oulu there--and it looks like you've got room to make a little village/ski resort in Syote  ::)

ricardomiranda