• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SC4 Startup Manager v3

Started by Andreas, June 09, 2007, 01:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas

It took quite some time to develop this version, but now it's almost ready: The SC4 Startup Manager v3 (SUM). As with the previous version of this tool, you can create profiles for your regions, and only load the files that are necessary. Depending on the size of your plugins folder, this might speed up the game quite a lot. The old version of the SUM had some drawbacks, though. It was not possible to select individual subfolders, and the files were moved in and out of the plugins folder constantly, making it hard to keep everything in place when installing new content and the like.

The SUM v3 has been reprogrammed from scratch by JeanLucPicard2, one of the programmers of the SFBT. It has an entirely new interface and lots of useful additions for an even better plugin management. The files aren't moved to a "PluginsDisabled" folder anymore, but they are hidden from SimCity (and Windows) while the SUM is running (or better: a special File System Control Server which is running as a Windows service). If the FSCS doesn't work on your system for some reason, the old method of moving the files is used.

But enough explanations, here are some pics. :)

This is the startup screen, featuring a list of your regions. If you hover the mouse cursor over an entry, a region thumbnail is displayed (can be disabled, if desired). You can specify which regions should show up on this screen, so you can hide regions you don't play at the moment to save space.

Clicking on a region will give you more details about it. There are three different views in the detail mode, a simple list of your region profiles, which enables you to select different profiles for your region, a city list with additional information about your cities (shown above; similar to the Region Census tool), and a large region image, like the region view in SimCity (shown below).

You can start SimCity with the selected region from all three views (the SUM will remember the last view you selected for each region individually). As I said, you can select an individual profile from the first view, the second and third view will start the game with the profile that you selected as default.

This is the region profile manager window where you have full control over all of your regions. The list in the upper left corner contains the regions that are currently active (the ones that are shown on the startup screen), and the list below show the inactive regions. You can use this list to "park" regions that you don't use at the moment, but don't want to lose your profiles for those. If you select a region from the list, it shows up in the right part of the window, where you can select the default profile, edit the profiles etc. You can use drag & drop for most tasks, such as moving regions, profiles etc.

If you select a profile and click "edit", you'll get the window above. As you can see, it shows you a tree view of your plugins folder with all subfolders. The green arrows indicate the folders that are selected for the current profile, the red arrows show the folder that are unselected. You can select/deselect entire folder structures, or individual folders, just as you like. It doesn't matter how you organized your plugins folder anymore, just pick the folders you need and deactivate the rest!

You can also create new regions, and the SUM v3 features an integrated config.bmp editor. Just enter a name for your region, enter a size, and pick one of the predefined city patterns, if you like. Or select a city size by clicking one of the buttons on the right side, and place city squares on the region map (shown below).

You can also edit existing regions with the editor, and select between different modes, so you can lock your existing cities in order to prevent any damage. This will make expanding your region a lot easier, and you don't have to mess with a BMP editor anymore in order to get a certain city pattern.

The new SUM v3 will be available soon, currently in English and German. If you want to translate the language file, please go ahead and do so. The program should run on Windows Vista as well. Before using it, I suggest to make a backup of your plugins and regions folder, just in case. Also, make a backup of the "SimCity 4 StartupManager.cfg" in "My Documents\SimCity 4\Plugins", this is the file where the SUM v2 stores the region profiles. If you don't wan't to use the new version for some reason, you can easily put that file back into the folder and use the old SUM as usual. Detailed information about the SUM can be found in the included help file (both in English and German as well).
Andreas

FromTheAshes

Wow this is great! I will definitly download it.

BTW: What typa "inSims-Wettbewerb" was that? As I am moderator on insims.de and registred for nearly 2 years, I should have noted it...
Visit Vorsfelde.

Gaston

Wow Andreas this is a fantastic tool.   I might even use this version of SUM.    :D     I'm looking forward to it's debut.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

RippleJet

Finally! &apls &apls &apls
It looks very good!!! :thumbsup:

vester

Hands up for JeanLucPicard  &apls &apls &apls

jeronij

This is a great improvement over the previous version and makes it much more powerful and useable  :thumbsup:

I specially like the region creation functions  &apls

Congratulations to JLP and the SFBT Team ¡¡¡
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

TheTeaCat

Magnificent.  &apls &apls &apls
This looks like a fantastic update of a very handy tool.
I'll join the queue now :D

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Andreas

Quote from: FromTheAshes on June 09, 2007, 01:17:51 PM
BTW: What typa "inSims-Wettbewerb" was that? As I am moderator on insims.de and registred for nearly 2 years, I should have noted it...

Oh, that was a competition that took place shortly after the start of InSims, I think - just after Rush Hour was released. The goal was to create a single city, without any neighbors. IIRC, I got the second place. :)

@all: Thanks!
Andreas

callagrafx

Yet another great tool to make life easier... &apls &apls &apls  With thanks to the SFBT Team.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

EDGE4194

It looks great and much easier to use! like gaston said, I might actually use this version.

Andreas

The SUM v3 has been uploaded to the SimCityKurier - get it here: http://kurier.simcityplaza.de/details.php?file=311 (don't worry, this is the English version :) )
Andreas

Filasimo

i would have a heart attack if in a future version a sc4 terrainformer was integrated with this its like having ur cake and eating it too! i cant wait for this now i wont have to keep on destroying unwanted buildings!
Plaza Mall Project
http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=2171.0
Coming Soon to the LEX!

NAM Team
What can NAM do for you?
//

bat

That's a wonderful tool! JeanLucPicard has made a great work! :thumbsup:

FromTheAshes

Yeah, I took the german version, it works perfectly. I like how easy to use it is. Great work. Please deliver JLP, that we love his tool :)
Visit Vorsfelde.

JeanLucPicard2

Thank you all for the the kind comments. After a long development and testing period, I'm very glad the tool finds your approval. :)

glepet

Thank you Jean Luc and SFBT!  &apls &apls We are humbled by your great work.

Rayden

Nice work Andreas and JLP, if this could work in conjunction with SC4DatPacker, it would be even better. JLP and Woua could join forces together and release a joined version &idea

Gaston

Thanks guys for creating this.   I still think you should call it "SUM for Dummies".   LOL   This thing seems revolutionary.   I am really looking forward to trying it out.    (Downloading on a dial up connection.   Ver 4 is likely to be available before this finishes downloading.  LOL)
Thanks again for making it available to us all.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

FromTheAshes

Sincere condolences, Gaston  :D It's just 3mb, took me 4 seconds to download ???
Visit Vorsfelde.