• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

• The Netherlands •

Started by kelis, June 05, 2012, 03:12:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelis

~ Hello to all, I created this theme for all that want put pictures of the Netherlands here. doesn't matter the quality, doesn't matter what part of Holland it is, I want this to be a small gallery for all of us, specially for myself because I'm almost the entire year away from Netherlands and I need to see something about it because I really miss being there so If you have some pictures from The Netherlands or you live in The Netherlands and you want to put here some pictures, please feel free to do it I'll be very grateful.

• Your photos of The Netherlands •

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

# Witte Huis - Rotterdam !

# Westkerk - Amsterdam !

# Amsterdam !

.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

mave94

Biking Home

Because I know you miss this landscape, I will put some of my pictures of the Netherlands in this thread. My photographing skills are not as great as yours, but I think it will do. I want to start off with a sort of tour of the route I go every day to school on my bike.

My school is located on the edge of the city of Spijkenisse. That is in the neighbourhood of Rotterdam. Because I live in a neighbouring village, I have to bike through the polders. It doesn't take very long before I am out of the city. The pictures of today are more rural. I took these photos last week when it was very windy, which you can see in the pictures. The photo above is taken from the bridge I pass, when I just left the city. The water you see, is called a boezem. It is a wide canal to drain off the water of wet areas like this polder. We will pass this canal one more time.

We just entered the polder. The trees in the distance are willows and stand along the boezem we just crossed. It is just a field like the many in my area. If you look closely you can spot the cows which graze here in front of the trees.

Here you can see the bike path I take when I go to school. Bike paths like this are very common in the Netherlands. This bike path used to be a tramway. Trams used to go from the city centre of Rotterdam to the city of Hellevoetsluis, a city located on the Haringvliet. It was used for passengers and for cargo. When more roads were built the tramway became out of use. This bike path follows the exact trace of the old tramway.

We leave the city of Spijkenisse behind.

Another canal. Such canals are called weteringen, which are used to drain off the water, too. In this picture you can also see the typical Dutch high tension pylons.

What would the Netherlands be without sluices to control the water level?

Can you already hear the cows? :D You can hardly see it, but I took this picture to let you know we are below sea level. In the distance you can see a dike. This polder and the polder where I live is appr. 1 meter below the sea level. The dike in the distance is much higher, though. This dike is a secondary dike, which means when the primary dike is broken, this dike should still protect this polder from flooding.

We entered the village where I live. On the left of the bike path there is this small wealthy area. These are the more expansive houses in my village.

I want to end this post with a picture of the historical village centre. Maybe next time I will grab some random photos from my archive.

Greetings from here:

-Matthijs

kelis

&apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

What an amazing job with these pictures my friend ! It's like if I had made ​​the route to your school, the pictures are great with those colours, I just can give you many thanks for this route my friend, I hope that in the future you can make more like this. I like all pictures, the first represent very good the typical rural gracht, I like it ! The second picture is exactly what I remember to saw from the train in the Netherlands, almost in every part you can see a landscape like this with the trees, water, cows and tension pylons, the third show one of my favourites things in Holland, the bike paths, Doesn't matter if are Rural or city paths, I like so much go on them with the Bike, here in Spain Doesn't exist many bike paths, we have to go for the road with the cars, yes I know it is a bit dangerous  :D The fourth and fifth picture is another typical view, in this picture we can feel the wind and hear how it move the water, the sixth picture is some new for me, because I have not been many times in this part of Holland and I never see something like this, I think it is more typical in the polders part, right ?I mean I saw a lot of sluices but never one like this, the seventh picture is also another typical view and a good remember to me, I got a funny history about the cows in Netherlands. Every year when my family and me going to Holland, my mother smells strong the smell of cows because She say that's the smell that best remembers from her childhood in Leeuwarden  ;D the last two pictures represent very well what I hope on my life, I just want to have got my own life in a place like this  :)

Thanks Matthijs I really enjoyed with it  :)
.                                                                                                                      

|| Benelux Team || Windows on the World || My Photos on Flickr || Kelis BNL Projects ||

WC_EEND

Really nice pictures Matthijs, looks like you sort of live in the middle of nowhere :P

Xander
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

mave94

@Jonathan (Kelis): Thank you, your welcome. Those sluices are indeed common in the lower parts. This is one to control the water level from higher to lower places. You also have water pumps, which control the water level from the lower parts to the higher parts. These are often larger and in this time often mechanical. In the past we used windmills for this, but now we use mechanical water pumps. I know about the smell of the cows. When they spread the manure over the fields, it smells so, uhm, not so really nice. We call that gieren.

@Xander (WC_EEND): Thanks. My friends live in the city and they also say I live in the middle of nowhere and it is too far away... In fact I live very close to the city. It is 8 km (6 miles) to Spijkenisse, 10 km (7 miles) to Hellevoetsluis and another 8 km to the harbour of Rotterdam. Plus, the village I live in has 5,000 inhabitants, so I don't live that far away from everything. ;D

mave94

More pics from around my house

Today another range of photos. We stay at the island of Voorne-Putten, where I live on. This is the area today's photos are taken:

Linking back to the previous post here is a photo of the same canal we saw in the last range:

I edited the photo with gimp and I'm pretty happy with the result. The windmill you see has been heightened last year, because there were some high buildings being built nearby. This is the city where I used to live and where my school is now.

This stands along the canal of the previous photo. This is a cachot, in other words a prison. It has two rooms and it was used when this city was a village.

Some typical older Dutch housings. I wonder where that small window in the bottom is for.

The contrast between old and new.

A abandoned harbour. Nowadays it's too undeep for ships to ferry through. Along the harbour some typical Dutch trees: knotwilgen. Knotwilgen are white willows which are cut every three of four years.

Uhm, well, again cows. I took this picture when standing in the field among the cows. :D

To end up a photo taken very near to my home on the Haringvliet.

-Matthijs

jmyers2043

Hey Matthijs

I like the photo of the home. Brick walls and tile roof. My minds eye thinks of stucco. Thanks for the photos. They are interesting to look at. Especially the cows in the foreground and the multi storied building in the background.

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

FrankU

Hi Matthijs,

Nice images. I think the small window next to the pavement is for a small half deep cellar for keeping food cool.

ThomasAH

Some urban photos from The Netherlands:

Amsterdam

Rotterdam

The Hague

mave94

Thanks, Jim. Frank, I think you are right. I just needed to be sure.

Nice pictures, Thomas. Have you made them by yourself? It are interesting photos, because they show another view than I usually see.