• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Windows 8

Started by SC4BOY, September 18, 2012, 11:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SC4BOY

.. also on SimPeg, but there are many non-overlapping users..

Well I just finished up installing the release preview copy of Windows 8.. For me it's a BIG learning experience :)  Now admittedly, being an old guy who isn't going to be paying near $100 a month for some fancy phone so I have near-zero exposure to the "App Centered" environment.. in which this is neck-deep. It's taking me a LOT of familiarization. I can see how young folk who are very into the app environment will probably adapt easily.

In many respects this is a "flip" system which loads either app environment or a desktop environment. It was very easy to install and to get working but finding how to adjust all those things which I used to always tweak to my own likings. :( It is very fast in almost every area including browsing (IE9) and "normal" computing operations.. and the "flip" is pretty much instant as well.)

I have not put SC4 on it yet.. will probably do that with at least SOME level install in the next few days.

It is pretty limited it seems to me in apps (it is pre-release after all), but there is almost nothing I use them for anyways :)
It also has some things missing such as games, etc.. meh.. It also will accept few "custom" drivers.. (for example my Intel mobo utilities would not install it's own Intel drivers...) the Microsoft ones are working fine.

I'm having fun with it for now at least.

Anyone with an available bootable disk can get it for free to try.. it's a 90 day trial and is downloadable from Microsoft.

noahclem

Interesting, thanks for sharing  :thumbsup:

I'm definitely curious to know more, particularly about how it deals with SimCity 4 and related programs. I just got a new notebook and I guess I'm eligible for a very cheap upgrade to 8 when it comes out so I'm trying to decide if that's something I'd like to switch to or not. Thanks for the post and I hope you'll let us know how it goes when you try out SC4  :thumbsup:

Tarkus

I started a thread back in August about SC4 and Windows 8.  I've been running it and most SC4-related tools for about a month now, and have had very few problems.  Actually, things seem to be working better than they did with Windows 7.

-Alex

SC4BOY

For those interested one can get the new Win8 Pro for $40. This is about 1/3 it's "normal" price and trust me you won't find it any cheaper than this. For those really interested in adventure I suggest you put it on a system with a touch screen.. it's a great system even on a desktop, but it is even more fun with a tablet or touch-screen system.  It is the first real improvement on Windows since XP

WC_EEND

I actually paid €15 for the upgrade version via windowsupgradeoffer.com
Best €15 I ever spent.

Xander
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

SC4BOY

Great to hear you're happy. I'm not a fan of upgrade versions. It's the standalone for me :)

Reform

Quote from: Tarkus on September 21, 2012, 01:06:04 PM
I started a thread back in August about SC4 and Windows 8.  I've been running it and most SC4-related tools for about a month now, and have had very few problems.  Actually, things seem to be working better than they did with Windows 7.

-Alex

Thank you for your input. I was a bit worried about SC4 compatibility with Windows 8. This took out most of my worries.

Quote from: SC4BOY on September 18, 2012, 11:40:16 AM
.. also on SimPeg, but there are many non-overlapping users..
Good to see you here as well.  :)