• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Sim City Crashing?

Started by cscvfc19, December 29, 2012, 01:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cscvfc19

I have a new, Allienware laptop, windows 7, basicly top of the line hardware inside of it. My issue is as follows....

I have about 4 cities saved in my region, when working on one particular city in the region...the game crashes at a regular, predictiable interval. (Basicly 2 seconds after loading that city) I also experience random crashes at different intervals through out the game in the other cities. I thought maybe shutting down the computer oor restarting would relieve the issue, but it hasnt. Any clue as what might be the issue here? Is this a common problem, or do I have the hands of death?

jmyers2043

Quote from: cscvfc19 on December 29, 2012, 01:37:22 PM
I have a new, Allienware laptop, windows 7, basicly top of the line hardware inside of it. My issue is as follows....

I have about 4 cities saved in my region, when working on one particular city in the region...the game crashes at a regular, predictiable interval. (Basicly 2 seconds after loading that city) I also experience random crashes at different intervals through out the game in the other cities. I thought maybe shutting down the computer oor restarting would relieve the issue, but it hasnt. Any clue as what might be the issue here? Is this a common problem, or do I have the hands of death?

I take it that your 4 cities are developed. That you have been able to play the game without CTD? I think that I'd start a new region with an empty plugin folder. Open a new city and play it for a while. OK, no? Look for a recent update, driver update, or something technical if SimCity vanilla does not work. OK, yes? Load half of your plugins in and see if CTD. Conquer and divide method of finding a problem file and/or missing file.

BTW -  have a 10 year Alienware Area 51 running XP ... so I'll not be much help with Win 7 problems.

- Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

cscvfc19

haha....we're going to have to take this step by step. Im not new to SC4, but the abrevations are new to me. CTD, plugin folders??...im affriad ill do more harm then good to my computer.

Ill start here...My cities are developed. The current city that crashes on a regular basis, after loding is also developed. I have had similar issues, in previous experiences with the game years ago. But honestly thought it was my computer back then (different computer now).

I am using a new version of the game on my new laptop. I did d/l the maxis/ EA patch for the game the other day. Thinking that might have solved the issue, but has not.

Think you can try and walk me through the process of figuring out the bug/ problem here? In lay terms? Thanks!

Swordmaster

CTD means Crash To Desktop. Plugins. . . well, that's where you can install downloaded content (that you got from the LEX, for instance).

Seeing you don't have plugins, this may be a hardware issue. SimCity was developed for single-core systems, so if you have a multi-core setup, you probably need to do some tricks to make the game behave. They are detailed here. It's not very simple to do, so maybe someone has an easier fix for you. It does work, though.

Cheers
Willy

cscvfc19

Yes, it does crash to the desk top. Im pretty sure I have a duo core processor. Thanks for the assistance... im glad to see im not the only poor fool that has this problem. And i have seen that error message a lot in the link. Ill see what I can do when I get home from work in the A.M. Wish me luck.