• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RealRailway (RRW) - Development and Support

Started by Swordmaster, June 14, 2013, 08:42:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

[Delta ²k5]

My gosh! Realistic, slope conforming catenaries :o And new textures... finaly! &apls great, great work!!

chosenreject

god you guys out do yourselves every time! i can't thank you all enough for making this 10 year old game playable for years and years to come

Flaviolovesimcity4

I was waiting for a lot of time a mod like this, i'm a fan of railways.  &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls

Swordmaster

Find the new thing. . .

Nice models, Eggman. I want to see a pic with automata under it.

Cheers
Willy

MandelSoft

Oh wow! FARR stubs! And new shock breaker (don't know how they are called exactly) props :thumbsup:
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

metarvo

Need any more proof that this project is taking off like a rocket?  13 viewers in one topic, with over 1,000 1,400 views already.  Let's go!  ;D

Good job on the FARR conversion, Willy!  :thumbsup:  Draggable FARR has it's advantages, doesn't it?

:o

Wait a minute, slope-friendly wires?  The lack of slope-friendliness has plagued power line BATters for years now, so it's good to see it pulled off so nicely.  Nice work, Eggman.

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Girafe

The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

Simcoug

And there's the FARR... be still my heart.  ;D

Kitsune

eggman just proves that someday... a SAM like setup for Rail would be so nice, because its going to suck using just one of these of textures instead of all of them at once.
~ NAM Team Member

eggman121

Thank you for all the kind words everyone  $%Grinno$%. I am amazed myself about adding overhead wire to railways. More to come...

Quote from: Swordmaster on June 17, 2013, 01:02:28 PM
Nice models, Eggman. I want to see a pic with automata under it.

Cheers
Willy

Here you go Swordmaster

I am using the Millennium set that is used on the Sydney Cityrail network. It is one of the taller sets created and as such is a perfect model to reference.

Now as I said the overhead wire is still a prototype so I think I need to elevate the wire a little bit if the train images are anything to go by. I will fix that shortly.

-eggman121

jdenm8

Quote from: eggman121 on June 17, 2013, 07:47:45 PM
I am using the Millennium set that is used on the Sydney Cityrail network. It is one of the taller sets created and as such is a perfect model to reference.
You also have to consider the overpasses. Tarkus made the L1 RHW models high enough so that the tallest known rail automata will fit under them (I think it's in one of Swamper's sets), but from memory there isn't much space. You'd need to make a special model for it that probably doesn't have the upper support wire so it fits between the top of the car and bottom of the overpass.

Regardless, I think they look absolutely fantastic and I think you'd work out a solution, certainly don't give up on it. Most of the trains will probably be overscaled after the RRW is released anyway :thumbsup:

Quote from: Swordmaster on June 17, 2013, 01:02:28 PM
Find the new thing. . .

You know, I was going to ask you yesterday if the new implementation could make that possible ::)

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

eggman121

Quote from: jdenm8 on June 17, 2013, 08:56:49 PM
You also have to consider the overpasses. Tarkus made the L1 RHW models high enough so that the tallest known rail automata will fit under them (I think it's in one of Swamper's sets), but from memory there isn't much space. You'd need to make a special model for it that probably doesn't have the upper support wire so it fits between the top of the car and bottom of the overpass.

Regardless, I think they look absolutely fantastic and I think you'd work out a solution, certainly don't give up on it. Most of the trains will probably be overscaled after the RRW is released anyway :thumbsup:

Thank you jdenm8. The models I have created are still under 7.5m or L1. A special case of overhead wires will be needed for tunnels and L1 overpasses and I think I have a solution. I'm still in the process of how to implement the overhead wires since the overhead wires take up four tiles to take into account the zig zagging of the wire. It is still early stages and with my other modding and RL I don't think the overhead wires will be released for a while. Although it will be awesome once it is released.

-eggman121 

jdenm8

Quote from: eggman121 on June 17, 2013, 09:16:54 PM
Thank you jdenm8. The models I have created are still under 7.5m or L1.
The problem here is that the road surface is at 7.5m, the bridge clearance is actually only about 6.5m.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

RepublicMaster

This mod is looking very good! Keep up the great work.

It definitely looks like a real railway line. :P

Earwhyckque

Great work so far already! These new rails would look perfectly in any industrial area or seaport!

Eggman, one remark on the overhead wires: I think the wires look a little too bright; could you consider rendering them darker, so they would blend better in with the background? Anyway, nice work!

Girafe

Quote from: Earwhyckque on June 18, 2013, 03:41:49 AM
Eggman, one remark on the overhead wires: I think the wires look a little too bright; could you consider rendering them darker, so they would blend better in with the background? Anyway, nice work!

Indeed, above all the wires which are too bright/white  ;)
The Floraler

This is the end, hold your breath and count to ten, feel the earth move, and then...

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *    *   *   *   *   *    * 

vester

eggman121: What is the height of the overheadwires ?

Would love to see how the fit with all my trains.
Have without knowning have done my trains with variating heights of the pantographs:

• Volume 1-2. H=5.68 m
  • The last 3 volumes. H=6.55-6.80 m
  • The trams in volume 4. H=7.66 m

Not sure if one would be able see the difference, but still....

eggman121

Quote from: jdenm8 on June 17, 2013, 09:34:22 PM
The problem here is that the road surface is at 7.5m, the bridge clearance is actually only about 6.5m.

Thank you Jdenm8. I have adjusted the top wire to go from 6.5m to 6m. It's good to know what the bridge levels are. Also I may need help with finding the maxis textures for the rails. Would you know someone that has the textures handy? Thanks in advance.

Quote from: Girafe on June 18, 2013, 03:53:16 AM
Indeed, above all the wires which are too bright/white  ;)

I was using the wrong colour. It must have automatically changed when I put the wire set together. I'll fix that for the next rendering phase.

Quote from: vester on June 18, 2013, 04:08:18 AM
eggman121: What is the height of the overheadwires ?

Would love to see how the fit with all my trains.
Have without knowning have done my trains with variating heights of the pantographs:

• Volume 1-2. H=5.68 m
  • The last 3 volumes. H=6.55-6.80 m
  • The trams in volume 4. H=7.66 m

Not sure if one would be able see the difference, but still....

Hello Vester. The height of the bottom wire is 5.25m with a radius of 0.02m. I can't make it any higher unfortunately due to the constrains of the bridges that Jdenm8 has pointed out to me.

Thanks for all the kind words everybody :thumbsup: Although I may need some help with the diagonal T21s. Maybe Memo could help in this matter since it appears that he knows more about T21s than I do. More hands make lighter work as they say.

More to come...

-eggman121

luxhit

vester

The weird mix up with dimensions in the games  :P

People are what 4.5 meters tall !?!
Thing the safety clearance in Denmark is 1.75 meters is overhead power lines.

SO: Please duck when going under the wires, so the power don't "jump" you.

5.25 meters is very low. The pantograph would lay all the way down to the roof.
Don't see any reason as to why it get be raised to 6.25 meters.
The top wired (bearing) would just stop at poles next to the bridges and under the bridges the power line would be hanging from the bridges.