• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Banished!

Started by Mr_Maison, February 14, 2014, 05:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbisonm

Quote from: catty on January 28, 2015, 01:58:31 PM
I think I'm with Fred on this one, for me its about having a nice stable village with enough villagers to do all the jobs and have a reasonable numbers of labourers so if disease strikes or its a bad winter with a lot of deaths I'm not having to juggle people from job to job and that I've also got plenty of food supplies, so if I do take in nomads there is enough food to feed them and Inns to house them.

Does anyone here use Windows 8 with Banished and Steam, I don't but Jmouse does and she is having a bit of grief with ... not to sure what ... see over here  fixed   :)

http://www.city-builders.info/cb-groups/item/22-banished

PS: Fred I love those pictures and especially on your second to last picture there is a building on the bottom right hand corner sitting over some water it looks    :thumbsup:

Sorry, I cannot help there, I am still on XP  with my gaming computer, besides, it plays better with those older games I love...Simcity, Serf City or Settlers I, Farming Simulator,Tropico and Civ III.

For that bldg on water, some buildings in those new mods can be built partially on water, as the picture below shows, as long as they have support on their 4 posts. With this you can do some strange, interesting ,nice and different things.

While at it, here is a pic just outside of town, the northside, where my villagers keep the Llamas, Chicken, Sheep and Bisons and some fruit trees and veggie fields. You can also see that I am micromanaging almost everything, something we cannot do anymore, when over 1000 pop.......

Fred

....Uploading the MFP 1.... (.........Finishing the MFP1)

catty

The bison look great   :thumbsup:

... after you have been playing for bit I really start longing to have different colored cows other than those red and white ones ... and yes I know about the mod to turn them black and white, but it would be so nice to have different colored ones all in the same field.

And your first picture has sold me on downloading the colonial charter mod ... just not quite yet, will finish the MD I'm doing first ... my goal for that is eventually about 500 villagers with all of them living in nice stone houses once I achieve that I'll be happy   :)
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

mrbisonm

I forgot to mention, if you want to build homes on canals like this with the CC {Colonial Charter}, you will need the Flattening Terrain Tool, which makes it possible to sculpt the terrain for such a use.

Btw, there is a mod that gives you different patched cows, the Milk Mod, but again, they are black and white. I know what you mean by different coloured cows. It is those red and white Ayrshires, Hereford and Simmentals or even Angus and Charolais cattle that would be fun to have. Perfect for meat/beef production.

Fred

catty

Yes I've got the Flattening Terrain Tool, probably use it way to much, have now downloaded a mod for growing crops on hills so I might not be as tempted to flatten things.

You expect the sheep and chickens to pretty much look the same, its just the cows that don't look right

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

mrbisonm

Quote from: catty on January 29, 2015, 10:04:46 AM
You expect the sheep and chickens to pretty much look the same....

....same as what¿

And , where did you get those brown cows from¿

Fred

Edit, got my question mark upside down.....lol....keyboard freaks out on me.....lol

catty

The sheep in New Zealand all tend to be white, chickens brown   ;D

As for the cows, I think its just the way the picture came out, I've just been thru the picture album for the village at CB (village no longer exists) and found another picture of them taken a lot closer up, unfortunately it was chucking it down with rain at the time so its not a great picture

:)

mrbisonm

Yeah, I have these red cows also, they are Herefords. Then I have the black and white Holstein cows, which produce milk and meat.

I don,t think that sheep come in other colours in Banished, so white is what I have too.

I have both chickens, the white Leghorns and brown regulars.

Plus I have the buffalos/bisons, the Llamas and the pigs. I have no picture of the pigs, I will have to take one the next time I start the game and add it here.

The hillgrowing crop mod is a lot of fun and adds a whole new aspect to Banished agriculture. I only use the flattening tool for the waterside of the villages, simply to adjust for bldgs or to make it more interesting to look at.

Fred

catty

Those black and white cows proved too much of a temptation ... I had to have them ... so I have just finished downloaded Colonial Charter Excellent Adventure   ()stsfd()

I'm going to keep my MD going till its done 100 years (always supposing it makes it to a 100) and then make the changeover re mods

:thumbsup:

mrbisonm

Excellent choice. I could not do without it anymore.

catty

Couldn't resist having a look, so I disabled my MD Mods and switched on CC for a new village, it looks great haven't got the cows yet but no-one is going hungry this winter ... they might be getting really fed up of tomatoes (see attachment) as I'm currently growing rather a lot of them   ;D

Slightly upset about the Fountain Mod and Decorative Items Pack going red when I tried activating them for the new village, but as you know most of those two mods have been included in CC, unfortunately not the little stilt houses from the Fountain Mod or the Greenhouse from the Decorative Items pack and I'm really fond of the greenhouse as all the seedling from them can go to the trading post and will pretty much pay for anything I want to buy from a trader, but a quick internet search later and it seems someone has done a CC compatible version of both mods ... it means having two menus one for the CC version and another menu for the non-cc mod but a small price to pay.

-Cathy

mrbisonm

Quote from: catty on January 31, 2015, 09:39:18 AM

Slightly upset about the Fountain Mod and Decorative Items Pack going red when I tried activating them for the new village.....

Hmmmm..... I have both and many more that turn red, but as long as you keep the more important ones on top of the list, there are no problems. So I have the CC plus the Fountain mod and decorative items, all in one, without having the double menu. All a matter of putting the priority up and lower on the cheat activation menu list. Below is a sample screenshot of my some of my Mods. Many of them are red......and I have not had any problems.

Fred

Rayden

Well, I got convinced and bought the game. Here's my 2nd try, first was a complete disaster. $%Grinno$%

catty

Quote from: Rayden on January 31, 2015, 02:56:17 PM
Well, I got convinced and bought the game. Here's my 2nd try, first was a complete disaster. $%Grinno$%

Looks good   &apls  just don't make the mistake I made this morning

Quote from: catty on January 31, 2015, 09:39:18 AM
...it looks great haven't got the cows yet but no-one is going hungry this winter ... they might be getting really fed up of tomatoes (see attachment) as I'm currently growing rather a lot of them   ;D

and forget to keep an eye on your firewood supplies, they didn't starve instead in the time it took me to get a hot drink they all ... and I mean the entire village ... froze to death

:'(

As I had the Nomads Pop Zero mod I did eventually get some nomads move in, but I spend quite a bit of time worrying about the chickens till they arrived.

Thanks Fred for your post I'd kind of assumed that if the mods were red then that was it, and good to see the translucent mod in action, I'd been wondering if I should get it   :thumbsup:

mrbisonm

Quote from: Rayden on January 31, 2015, 02:56:17 PM

Rayden playing Banished ¿  ??? ........lol
Just like any other game it will take some time to get everything smoothly going. Not quite my style since I find the village a little too square, but nice going. The most important part is that you have fun.

Quote from: catty on January 31, 2015, 03:16:20 PM
Thanks Fred for your post I'd kind of assumed that if the mods were red then that was it, and good to see the translucent mod in action, I'd been wondering if I should get it   :thumbsup:

I couldn,t do without the translucent mod anymore, it makes the whole scene a little more open-spaced and clear.

Fred

catty

I think all of my villages start out squarish looking its only after if they survive that first winter they start to change shape   :)

Fred thanks I tried your suggestion re mod order and not worrying about the mods turning red,  and I've now got the Stilt House and the Inn from the Fountain Mod

()stsfd()

Still doing a bit of play around with my test village, but it looks like my MD is going to continue with added CC content   :thumbsup:

-Cathy

mrbisonm

Quote from: catty on February 02, 2015, 09:23:44 AM
I think all of my villages start out squarish looking its only after if they survive that first winter they start to change shape   :)

Fred thanks I tried your suggestion re mod order and not worrying about the mods turning red,  and I've now got the Stilt House and the Inn from the Fountain Mod

()stsfd()

Still doing a bit of play around with my test village, but it looks like my MD is going to continue with added CC content   :thumbsup:

-Cathy

No need of thanking.

I did not say to stop worrying about the redturning mods, but to first investigate why it is turning red [sometimes you have doubles and when it is, delete it or adjust the loading order, sometimes it just does not work with another mod and crashes the game, then you delete one of them, sometimes  it doesn,t do anything and then do simply not bother]  and then establishing a loading order in the modmenu. Always make a copy of the map you are trying new mods on, just in case.  ;)

Once you get an order and understand the modding orders, the news mods can be absolute fun. Have fun.

Fred

Rayden

I've started another one, now with the Colonial Charter Mod, Adam & Eve style (a couple with only a storage cart with some tools, firewood and loads of potatoes), large map plains and rivers on harsh weather. So far I have survived the first 3 winters and the family now it's 8 adults and two child living on 4 wood houses. Quite challenging this way. :)

catty

Quote from: mrbisonm on February 02, 2015, 09:39:19 AM
...I did not say to stop worrying about the redturning mods, but to first investigate why it is turning red [sometimes you have doubles and when it is, delete it or adjust the loading order, sometimes it just does not work with another mod and crashes the game, then you delete one of them...

:thumbsup:

That's what my test village is for, plus it means I'm getting familiar with what's available in CC, things like the sawmill I've got a separate mod for that, but a sawmill is also available in CC ... my current thinking is if I delete the sawmill out of my MD village, save the village and then restart the village with the CC mod activated I can then put in the CC sawmill ... but at this stage am just still playing around.

Quote from: Rayden on February 02, 2015, 10:26:00 AM
I've started another one, now with the Colonial Charter Mod, Adam & Eve style (a couple with only a storage cart with some tools, firewood and loads of potatoes), large map plains and rivers on harsh weather. So far I have survived the first 3 winters and the family now it's 8 adults and two child living on 4 wood houses. Quite challenging this way. :)

:bnn:

I picked the Silk Road as my test village, but then decided that as my MD village was using a medium village start (valleys and a large map) I should really stick to the same in my test village ... but it was fun while it lasted.

:)

mrbisonm

Quote from: Rayden on February 02, 2015, 10:26:00 AM

pics ¿......sounds nice.

catty

Quote from: catty on February 02, 2015, 09:23:44 AM
...but it looks like my MD is going to continue with added CC content...

I decided to stop my MD at year 50, have uploaded the 50 year pictures to the MD picture album but as yet still have to do the last post in the MD itself, and have now re-organised my mod list, the cc compatible version of the Decorative Items Pack is looking nice and green as its creator has gone thru and removed everything that is now in the Colonial Charter mod, but the cc compatible version of the Fountain Mod stayed red and on top of which the stilt houses and Inn wasn't in it, so I have gone back to using the original mod, went thru the rest of my mods and had a purge just keeping things like the Mountain fields, etc

And started a new village

Really like the new buildings available in CC

()stsfd()