• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Calidores

Started by 11241036, January 22, 2015, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Table of Contents

This is a map of Calidores, taken with RegionCensus, containing city tile coordinates, province names, and city/village names. I'll try to update it whenever I'm writing an update. It may include settlements, farms, forests, and other development that isn't part of any update; mostly because I don't consider it ready to be shown off in public yet.

Bold: cities (everything else = villages)
Underlined: province capital

Click to enlarge

And this is a table of every update so far, containing links to them.
* The fact that one update may be listed in several cells means simply that this update contains screenshots from more than one city tile.
* The first column lists the city tile coordinates.
* "Virtually finished" means: A city is in a state where it can be considered finished and it may not me updated soon - however, it is entirely possible that I'll make changes to it and write another update.

[tabular type=3]
[row][head colspan=1]
Co
[/head][head colspan=3]Province Name[/head][head colspan=2]Inhabitants[/head][head colspan=3]Updates[/head][head colspan=3]Current Status[/head][/row]
[row][data colspan=1]
A1
[/data][data colspan=3]Leptanis[/data][data colspan=2]32,529[/data][data colspan=3]1, 3, 4, 5, 20, 21[/data][data colspan=3]Virtually finished[/data][/row]
[row][data colspan=1]
B1
[/data][data colspan=3]Teragonis[/data][data colspan=2]15,487[/data][data colspan=3]3, 8, 9[/data][data colspan=3]Virtually finished[/data][/row]
[row][data colspan=1]
C1
[/data][data colspan=3]Valensis[/data][data colspan=2]15,069[/data][data colspan=3]20, 21, 22, 24[/data][data colspan=3]Virtually finished[/data][/row]
[row][data colspan=1]
D1
[/data][data colspan=3]Melarii Inferiores[/data][data colspan=2]9,500[/data][data colspan=3]26, 27[/data][data colspan=3]Work in progress[/data][/row]
[row][data colspan=1]
A2
[/data][data colspan=3]Iramaris[/data][data colspan=2]20,495[/data][data colspan=3]2, 5, 18[/data][data colspan=3]Virtually finished[/data][/row]
[row][data colspan=1]
B2
[/data][data colspan=3]Inistri Laviarum[/data][data colspan=2]uninhabited[/data][data colspan=3]18[/data][data colspan=3]Started working on[/data][/row]
[row][data colspan=1]
C2
[/data][data colspan=3]Suradis Nova[/data][data colspan=2]0[/data][data colspan=3]Special - see below[/data][data colspan=3]Started working on[/data][/row]
[row][data colspan=1]
D2
[/data][data colspan=3]Melarii Superiores[/data][data colspan=2]0[/data][data colspan=3](none)[/data][data colspan=3]Planned[/data][/row]
[row][data colspan=1]
A3
[/data][data colspan=3]Friganium[/data][data colspan=2]11,140[/data][data colspan=3]6, 7, 8[/data][data colspan=3]Virtually finished[/data][/row]
[row][data colspan=1]
B3
[/data][data colspan=3]Vella[/data][data colspan=2]54,655[/data][data colspan=3]10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 25[/data][data colspan=3]Nearing completion[/data][/row]
[row][data colspan=1]
C3
[/data][data colspan=3]Hadria[/data][data colspan=2]21,934[/data][data colspan=3]13, 17, 18, 19[/data][data colspan=3]Virtually finished[/data][/row]
[row][data colspan=1]
D3
[/data][data colspan=3]Iuvarium[/data][data colspan=2]0[/data][data colspan=3](none)[/data][data colspan=3]Planned[/data][/row]
[/tabular]

Suradis Nova Special Updates:

* Arrival of the settlers:

* First village:

Translations of some names in other languages:

[tabular type=3]
[row][head colspan=5]Language[/head][head colspan=5]Calidores[/head][head colspan=5]calidorus, -a, -um[/head][head colspan=5]Suradis Nova[/head][head colspan=5]Credits[/head][/row]
[row][head colspan=5]English[/head][head colspan=5]Calidoria[/head][head colspan=5]Calidorian[/head][head colspan=5]New Surade[/head][head colspan=5][/head][/row]
[row][head colspan=5]French[/head][head colspan=5]Calidorie[/head][head colspan=5]calidorien/-ne[/head][head colspan=5]Nouvelle Sourade[/head][head colspan=5][/head][/row]
[row][head colspan=5]German[/head][head colspan=5]Kalidorien[/head][head colspan=5]kalidorisch[/head][head colspan=5]Neu-Surad[/head][head colspan=5][/head][/row]
[row][head colspan=5]Greek[/head][head colspan=5]Καλιδωρεισ[/head][head colspan=5][/head][head colspan=5]Νέο Σουραδισ[/head][head colspan=5][/head][/row]
[row][head colspan=5]Japanese[/head][head colspan=5]カリドーレス[/head][head colspan=5]カリドーレスの[/head][head colspan=5]スラーディス・ノーヴァ[/head][head colspan=5][/head][/row]
[row][head colspan=5]Spanish[/head][head colspan=5]Calidora[/head][head colspan=5]calidoro/-a[/head][head colspan=5]Nueva Suradis[/head][head colspan=5][/head][/row]
[row][head colspan=5]Swedish[/head][head colspan=5][/head][head colspan=5][/head][head colspan=5]Nya Suradis[/head][head colspan=5]Themistokles[/head][/row]
[/tabular]

Hello together. I'm rather new to this site and most likely currently not the busiest member regarding posting and commenting. Yet I've been playing SC4 for quite a while and I figured my city-building skills could be improved. Therefore, I will now start a Mayor's Diary; you are welcome to post suggestions how to improve it. I'll try to update it regularly, however, I'm only playing occasionally and for fun. English is not my native language, so feel free to ask if you don't understand something.

The city names will look Latin, but they don't mean anything (at least they are not supposed to mean anything). I have learnt Latin in school, but I really can't speak it, and most likely I won't be able to translate Latin text. But I've got to know another PC game using words that looked like they were Latin, and so I figured I could do the same.

So, without further ado, let's welcome you all to Calidores, Valley of the Homeless.

Introduction

Long ago, a group of homeless travelers, having left their hometown because they wanted to escape the war that was about to begin, arrived in a small valley after decades of traveling that led them even to other continents. Their requests of being given a little piece of land in order to build up a new civilization have kindly been granted, and so they could start creating a new home. Time has passed, and we will now see what has become of Calidores.

That's all for now, and so we will proceed with the

Map

This region is, by the way, available on the STEX by the name of Calidore. I've added an extra "s" to distinguish it from other MD's about the same map that might already be existing. In its, I daresay, raw state, it looks like this:

However, first I will do some terraforming changes, such as
* reducing the average elevation, particularly of the mountains: I don't want to have these sharp cliffs, as they won't allow me to plant dense forests there
* transforming the rivers on sea level into land zones, since I will most likely make rivers with ploppable water
* smoothening the mountains to remove some cliffs (not all)
* some other minor terraforming changes, such as
     - adding a harbor area (1)
     - raise the whole area to make an artifical lake with a dam (2)
     - create a delta (3)
     - create an artifical island in the center of this river (4)
     - widen the lakes, narrow down the river (5)
     - raise the terrain to create another dam (yes, I like them somehow, in the part of my country where I live, we do generate a considerable amount of electricity by water power) (6)
     - move this island a bit further to the east, it's supposed to be completely in one city tile (7)

Click to enlarge

This is an illustration (as you can see, I've already reduced the height of the mountains). The areas painted in blue will be bodies of water made with ploppable water, with the light blue color meaning that they will be at an elevation of exactly sea level, as I'll try my best to make a smooth transition into the ocean, and as you can see on city tile A2, anything other than this would be impossible, as this would require the water to flow "upwards".

And after some thorough reworking, the map looks like this:

Click to enlarge

The map may, however, still be subject to terraforming changes, mostly of fine-tuning nature (such as the shores of the rivers).

Last for today, I've made this small map showing you what I'm trying to do with the map. Please forgive the PNG, but the JPEG version of this map looks horrible. As you can see, I don't care much about realism when placing settlements (this map would surely have a high population density). I will also frequently place more than one settlement on a city tile. By the way, these are all large city tiles.

Colors:
Green = forests
Green-blue = swamp-like vegetation
Yellow = farm fields
Blue = bodies of water (rivers, creeks, lakes)
Pink = beaches
Light red = villages
Dark red = cities

Click to enlarge

Edit1: Cut down width of the preview images to 800.
Edit2: Fixed typos.
Edit3: Added Table of Contents.
Edit4: Added list of special updates of Suradis Nova.
Edit5: Moved Table of Contents to the beginning of this post.
Edit6: Added table with name translations.

art128

Seems like a promising start!
That is a good region to building a city. Looking forward to the future development on the landscape of the region.

PS - You don't need to re-size the picture to 800px, 1024 is the limit on this website. :)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

romualdillo

Looks good!!!! I'm looking forward to your next post!!

vortext

Nice presentation and planning! Looking forward to see how things develop!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

Replies

art128: Thank you very much for your comment and your interest. I'm actually only reducing the picture size to avoid having the horizontal scroll bar on my screen whenever there's a picture with a width of 1024 px. If there's some problem with this, I can of course change it.
romualdillo, vortext: Thank you all for your nice comments and your interest. I do also hope Calidores will become a good region.

Development

The first city is always the most difficult one to develop, as there are no adjacent cities to help developing. Therefore, in the first update, I've started developing tile A1 only by
* laying out farmland
* laying out zones in two small villages
* building the first basic infrastructure.
In some of the screenshots, I will show how I'm making plans in a completely empty city. Most likely I won't show screenshots like these anymore in the future, as I don't think that there's much point in doing this.

First, this is a draft of how the rivers and creeks will flow. The tree logs will be the borders of future settlements.

#1; click to enlarge

Next comes a screenshot of farmland as well as some basic infrastructure.
Railway always comes first with me, because it can't tolerate high slopes and narrow curves, so it's difficult to build when I need to retrofit it. This time, it has been quite a challenge, because I want to connect Lemanticum to areas in both the west (harbor, border of the state), east (next city), and the south (next city) and the terrain made it impossible to drag the railway lines right into the city.
Next step is always laying out farming zones. Since farms don't grow anymore once I'm having enough inhabitants, I'm usually starting to grow only small settlements or suburbs along with farms to make sure I'll have some naturally grown farms. Quite new to me: I'm using SimGoobers irrigation canals; let's see if I can use them in a good way. I've placed ploppable forest lots in the gaps between the farm fields (they are seasonal, so you can't see them yet.)
(The piles of pebble in the far right will be the place where I'll later build a road to the next city.)

#2; click to enlarge

Then we can already start building some small villages (two, to be exact, in this update). They will have the names Portalensis and Mistra. This is an example of how I'm laying out zones.
As you can see, I've left some empty spots in residential zones, as I'm hoping to grow 1x2 buildings (I hope to prevent the game from messing up my plans by either splitting up zones or placing 2x2 buildings in two 1x2 zones). In small villages with only a few industrial buildings, I'm forming small zones with the CTRL button to make sure that the industrial buildings don't look too messy. Parks, schools and anything else will be built once my village has grown.

Schule = school (in this case elementary school)
Arzt = doctor
Ortsplatz = basically means village square; I'll place an open square there, made with pedestrian zone tiles, as well as a church

#3; click to enlarge

Then, after approx. 2 in-game years, Portalensis looks like this. Let's say, it looks satisfying for now. As already mentioned, it's the first city, and in the next updates, I will focus on developing adjacent city tiles, which should help the growth of Portalensis as well. A larger city by the name of Lemanticum will later be built on this city tile. Portalensis is, by the way, not being located on the map of the introduction post of Calidores. I've added it shortly after making this picture, fortunately, it's only Portalensis missing.

#4; click to enlarge

With Mistra, I seemed to be more lucky:

#5; click to enlarge

And last but not least, an overview from a large height, showing both villages as well as the surrounding farms.
(About the road on the far left: There will be a harbor later, and this road will allow my Sims to bypass it.)

#6; click to enlarge

benedict

Great update. I like the way you've done the farms. Looking forward to further development of the region.
Click on the banner to celebrate!

vortext

Really nice update indeed! Refreshing to see the drafts and planning, don't have that 'making of' style MD too often anymore and I really enjoy it. Also looking forward to the reservoir lake!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird

Responsa

(Replies)
benedict: Thank you very much.
vortext: Thank you too. I fear that in this update, I forgot to make screenshots of the drafts, but in future updates, I will do it. The reservoir lake will be part of the next update.

Exordium

(Introduction)
As you can clearly see, I'm starting to write titles in Latin instead of English, I just like it so much ;D However, everything will of course be translated.
Thanks to the efforts of Calidorian historicians and politicians, more information about Calidores has now become available, such as:

* Calidores is divided into 12 provinces, each one of them being represented by a large city tile. I've already given them names; see the map further below.
* I'm not really frantic about giving my region a distinctive style; however, since I like those Gründerzeit buildings (mostly by Ferox) and Fachwerk buildings very much, they may have a strong German look.
* Several roads (mostly traffic arteriae) have Latin names, named after other villages and cities, fantasy names, or other objects. (In the latter case, they will be translated.)

Let's now see the new and improved

Tabula Geographica

(Map)

#1; Click to enlarge

Progressio

(Development)
In this update, I will show you my progress on city tile A2, Iramaris. It will have 3 settlements, two of them are already done, Lexus and Castrum Iramaris. As already mentioned, I forgot to make screenshots of most of the drafts, I'm sorry. Please also forgive me for not proceeding with A1, but first I'd like to start developing at least 3 regions (to help all cities growing, due to cap relief).

First, an aerial overview (warning: large picture). I haven't yet filled the entire city tile with trees, because I don't want to slow my PC down too much, and I have other plans than filling everything with forests. Lexus is the large city (approx. 18,000 inhabitants) and Castrum Iramaris the small village at the bottom (less than 1,000 inhabitants).

#2; Click to enlarge

Next, a few close-ups. Let's immediately start with Castrum Iramaris. Its main attraction is, of course, the small tower. In medieval times, it served as sort of an early warning system, to warn the empire in case of foes' ships trying to invade the bay. Nowadays, it doesn't serve this purpose anymore, but it's still an important tourist attraction, so a small village has formed in close proximity. Despite being small, it has everything a village needs: a few shops, a school, a doctor's office, a restaurant, and even a small church.

#3; Click to enlarge

The next two pictures contain the city center of Lexus, containing the old town center and the small park. This has been my first experiment in trying to mix several old town plugin styles, I hope you like it.

#4; Click to enlarge

#5; Click to enlarge

Here, we have a series of rowhouses. All except 4 have been grown and made historical. (To fill the gaps the game leaves, I have created ploppable landmarks with a little monthly income of some of the rowhouses in my Plugins folder.) I don't know if I should like it or hate it, because sometimes it looks boring.

#6; Click to enlarge

Next, a few suburbs. To the west...

#7; Click to enlarge

... to the north-east...

#8; Click to enlarge

... and to the south-east. The blue spot will eventually become a small pond.

#9; Click to enlarge

An example of the city's road names. I'm using these signs because whenever I have to change something about the roads, the labels placed on the roads are being removed.

Translations:
via = road
vallis = valley
fraxinus = ash tree
vui = obvious pun on Dr. Vu ;D
All other expressions are names of nearby locations.

#10; Click to enlarge

That's all for today's update. I hope you liked it. Please comment if you like it or have some suggestions how to improve it.

vortext

Great work, Lexus city center is very much to my liking!  &apls

Minor quibble but you might want to turn on the shadows when taking pictures next time, just looks better imho.

The rowhouses are nicely done, boring maybe but hey that's what rowhouses are meant to be.  $%Grinno$%

The mmp-ing is nice as well. Keep at it!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird

romualdillo

The city core is beautiful!!  :thumbsup: I like the rowhouses too. They look as XIX century expansion, and not a boring one...  ;)

Responsa

vortext: Wow, glad you like it. Thank you for your nice words. Shadows will be turned on for most screenshots (I need to do this sparingly, my old graphic card doesn't like it very much...)
romualdillo: Thank you very much.

Exordium

This time, it took me a while to write an update. For quite a while, I didn't have any idea on how to progress, and so, this time there won't be a finished city for me to show. Furthermore, I've been busy with lotting and with experimenting with various ways how to facilitate rowhouse growing - unfortunately, to no avail (we will see later what I mean). But I don't want to wait longer to write an update, and so, today we will shortly return to A1, Leptanis, to create the reservoir dam, and later, we will visit B1, Teragonis.
By the way, the Calidorian Logo "Divitiam - Pacem - Vitam" means, "Wealth, Peace, Life". A traditional Calidorian Blessing to all people, quite the opposite of what war usually brings out.

Progressio

As already mentioned, this is the now completed reservoir lake in Leptanis, located between Portalensis and Mistra, feeding the entire Vallis Bergamum (Bergamum Valley) with electric power. I realized later that I could actually brush a few cattails at the shores of the lake. This may be added later. I'm, however, not sure if it's realistic to place cattails at the river, as far as I know, they prefer growing in lakes. I've already been told that I could improve the shoreline of my rivers by adding weeds, cattails and so on; however, in the rather mountaineous area I live in, I rarely see anything other than gravel, rocks, and a little driftwood on riversides. Probably because the water level in the rivers in my country is varying extremely during the year, depending on amount of precipitation and on the season. Both snowmelting in spring and heavy rainfall can turn a small creek into a powerful stream that may wash away anything that's alive, so there's no soil for plants to grow.

Long story short...

#1; Click to enlarge

#2; Click to enlarge

#3; Click to enlarge

Before working any further on Leptanis, I traveled to the city tile further east, and that's B1, Teragonis. I wanted to start developing this city tile to relieve the demand cap (is this the right expression?) in Leptanis. However, I suffered from a lack of ideas of what to do with this area. There will be 2 settlements in Teragonis, a small mountain village named Veralermum (1,000-2,000 inh.) and a large village with the name Castrum Teragonis that will later even feature a castle (not sure how many inhabitants it will have).

First, we start with Veralermum, it's nearly done (aside from the MMP work). It wasn't easy to find satisfying housing for an old mountain village, but eventally, I decided to use the following buildings to create this village:
* The gassho-zukuri-styled Japanese Minka dwellings by Glenni
* Some Austrian-styled buildings, I don't know the author anymore
* Selfmade lots with SimGoobers Mountain Cabins
* Selfmade lots with Pegasus' A-Frames that are part of his Mountain Theme Pack.

Admittedly, I've overdone it with the azalea bushes on the lots; they have meanwhile been replaced by hedges. (I couldn't grow the new lots anymore, believe me, it was hard enough to grow what you are seeing here.) I should also probably reconsider using the Austrian homes because of their repetitive look; however, aside from that, they really fit well. Hope you like it, nevertheless.

The first picture will feature the planning phase of Veralermum, the next two are the finished result viewn from different angles.

#4; Click to enlarge

#5; Click to enlarge

#6; Click to enlarge

Next, a few pictures from Castrum Teragonis.

First, an aerial view of the landscape (unfortunately, I got this idea while I was already building, and so there's already a few built areas around). You can see that there's a raised spot (marked with a riprap circle); I'm already considering placing some landmark there, such as a castle or a monastery, probably even an entire castle town. However, the slope is rather steep, so I haven't found a way to make "my dreams true". What's already rather sure is that I'll place the city core (mostly businesses, either modern or a large old town center) below the hills, surrounded by suburbs, a few industrial zones, and low-wealth apartments.

#7; Click to enlarge

Usually, I always plan the farms first, followed by a few suburban homes, a few industrial areas, and very few businesses (mostly to make sure there are enough jobs for my sims).

#8; Click to enlarge

... and the intermediate result. (Sorry, I forgot to remove the city bar.)

Translations:
Stadtzentrum: city center
Nebenstation: basically means "minor railway station"
leer: empty
Vorstadt: suburbs
wenige Apartments: a few apartments
Stromschnellen: river rapids

#9; Click to enlarge

Since I didn't have any other idea of what to do next, next will come the second suburbs, this time to the west, along with a few apartments. I've been trying to grow the New York Rowhomes there; however, I haven't been this lucky yet. I've literally tried anything to speed up their growth - even going as far as blocking any other residential building (it took me hours to create building blockers for all the residential buildings in my Plugin folder), combined with an insane demand mod - yet after a few New York rowhouses have grown, nearly nothing happened for decades. Doing all this was quite an interesting experience, I can tell - however, it wasn't fruitful.

The city on the drawing board (I like building on slopes most of all...)...

#10; Click to enlarge

... and the intermediate result. I've relocated the city's trash disposal system because it wasn't really prudent to place it next to an area where I want to grow a small high-wealth area $%Grinno$%

#11; Click to enlarge

That's all for today. Sorry, Teragonis is really far from being finished, but, as already mentioned, I didn't want to wait longer with writing an update, and I have the most spare time to do this on weekends. I hope you like it, though. Futural development in this city will most likely include adding a castle, building an old city center below the castle, completing the rivers, and adding hiking trails in the mountains.

Fasan

I find the handling has what the water with the MMPs.   
So what do like me and even the design with the various Trees.  &apls

Great work and I look forward to more pictures.  :)

Dantes

You show an interesting work. It's always exciting to watch the other building. Have fun!

Responsa

Fasan: Thank you very much. Since I consider your MD to be one of the best ones here so far, it's a great honor to me to receive such a comment from you.
Dantes: Thank you too.

Progressio

Today's update will lead us back to city tile A1, the province of Leptanis. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to finish it, but since I won't have time next week to write an update, I'll hereby present you with my work so far. To be exact, I've been developing a large part of the third (the largest) settlement in the Vallis Bergamum (Bergamum Valley), Lemanticum.

Centuries ago, the first inhabitants decided to settle at the area between the junction of these three rivers. First plans of what to do with the land looked like this: (As you can see, the industrial area has already been developed; I needed some jobs.)

Translations:
Einkaufszentrum: mall
Kirche: church
Vorstadt: suburbs
zu unterird. HBF: (access) to subterranean main station
evt. hier Gewerbezentrum: maybe here commercial center
Altstadt + Gewerbe: old town parts and commercials

#1; Click to enlarge

Older houses have even been built up the hill; quite a challenge to place them there, but that's what makes the game fun to me :). It was even challenging to find a way to connect this city to the Calidorian railway network; fortunately, Russian engineers solved that problem by designing an underground railway station. Also, quite new, some Finnish immigrants have built their dwellings in their own, unique building style, thereby not only enriching the cityscape, yet also providing handy solutions in how to connect orthogonal and diagonal W2W buildings (credits go to SimCoug from the STEX for pointing me into the right direction). Below two pictures from different angles.

#2; Click to enlarge

#3; Click to enlarge

The industrial area has also developed quite nice, as well as a small suburban part. Unfortunately, in the Vallis Bergamum, I've run into a unique issue in how to connect Lemanticum to the Calidorian railway network: Lemanticum is located a little further to the north, but there's a railway leading to the east (B1 Teragonis), one to the south (A2 Iramaris) and one to the west (to a future harbor), and the terrain forced me to connect the railway lines exactly at this location.

#4; Click to enlarge

The population increase required the city to expand further to the west, building some condominiums below at the river (coming soon) and constructing a mall (a nice, brand-new gem found on the STEX) and a strip of commercials along the main road to provide enough jobs (not something I do frequently; I've copied this from a nearby city in my country. But I think I like it).

#5; Click to enlarge

We'll conclude today's update with an aerial view, as usual. Unfortunately, the city is not finished, as you can clearly see, but mostly I only have time to write updates like these on weekends. Futural updates in Leptanis will most likely include
* finishing Lemanticum (the southwestern parts will most likely be suburban housing and apartments)
* adding a small settlement to the west (~ 1,000 inh.)
* adding a harbor (really, I haven't done this anytime during the last years)
* finally planting forests (that's always the last thing I do, because of the disastrous impact on the game's performance)

#6; Click to enlarge

romualdillo

Great job!! The old city looks great!!  :thumbsup:

art128

City's growing nicely. Good work with the canals and MMP water.
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Gugu3

Responsa

romualdillo, art128, Gugu3: Thank you all very much, glad you liked it.

Exordium

As usual, it takes me very long to write an update - well, this time, I've been sick for a while, and after about sitting at my PC for about an hour, I became dizzy, so I didn't even consider playing SC4. And my main disease, namely, suffering from a lack of ideas, seems to be hard to cure...
Meanwhile, Calidorian railway engineers have prepared a map about the planned railway lines in Calidores:

Magenta: Calidores ring line (will connect several settlements, among them 5 of the 7 cities of Calidores)
White: Other railway line
Grey: not sure if I will really build them

Click to enlarge

Progressio

In this update, we will see what has become of Lemanticum, as well as finishing our first city tile, A2 Iramaris, to be exact.

First, a shot of Lemanticum's southwestern part. I decided for a mixture between suburbs and a bunch of apartments. Those 6x6 SimGoobers Suburban Townhomes really grew naturally, so, somehow, I decided to keep them there.

#1; click to enlarge

I've also been able to improve this small village (Portalensis, as already seen in Update 1) a bit, particularly the area with the apartments. Portalensis is located on the same city tile (A1) as Lemanticum.

#2; click to enlarge

Next, we will travel to the south, to A2 Iramaris. Two settlements there, Lexus and Castrum Iramaris, have already been grown before, and now it's time to finish the third one, a small village (656 inhabitants) with the name of Castrum Tullae. Very similarly to Castrum Iramaris, there's an old tower standing there, which watched over the sea straight to the central bay of Calidores. Somehow, however, contrarily to the inhabitants of Castrum Iramaris, the inhabitants of this small village decided to build wooden houses painted in bright colors, with red being the most important color (even the streets are red). Castrum Tullae has its own railway station (at this part, the railway is connected via tunnel to Lexus, a tunnel passing the Iramaris sea straight below the seabed).

#3; click to enlarge

This is, by the way, an overview of the aforementioned Iramaris sea straight, complete with both towers.

#4; click to enlarge

I've also finished the island where Castrum Iramaris is located, by adding forests and open grasslands, which can be traversed via hiking trails. Unfortunately, I had little ideas of what to do with the terrain other than adding trees, grass, and flower patches; if I'm getting better ideas, I'll update this area. One of the hiking paths leads to a chapel close to the coast, where you can enjoy the view.

#5; click to enlarge

I've also made experiments in making a small pond at the suburbs of Lexus. I've tried to combine gravel and rocks with cattails. My first try to do something like this.

#6; click to enlarge

That's all for today, we'll conclude this update with an aerial overview of the entire province of Iramaris. Hope you liked it.

#7; click to enlarge

vortext

Haven't been here in a while somehow, nice couple of updates. Lemanticum turned out great!  :thumbsup:
time flies like a bird

metarvo

Nice update, 11241036!  :thumbsup:  The building selections in Lemanticum strike just the right balance between single- and multi-family housing, and Castrum Tullae is quite intriguing; the bright red roofs remind me of the metal roofs I'm seeing a lot more on houses near me these days.  They do stand out a lot in game, but they stand out a lot on Google Maps as well when I see them in the satellite views, so therefore they actually provide a degree of realism.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.