• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

My Cities Skylines MD Scrapbook () Nature and the wild

Started by Vizoria, August 27, 2015, 10:13:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vizoria

Entry 1: Welcome to Clottley

Clottley is an experimental city where I was trying out British styled houses and commercial, plus building theme mods, for the first time. After the last update (from my Simtropolis Cities Skylines CJ) I decided to focus my efforts on another city, the city of Thornabary, which will have British-styled suburbs and a more European/American inner city and CBD- oh yes the traffic drives on the left-hand side in Thornabary! But Clottley does show what is possible with W2W areas and strict district areas.

Note: I forget about switching to the left-hand drive on the map; silly me!

{---}

The overview of Clottley.

The area of Clottley I will be showing to you today.

{---}

Next entry- European W2W.

{---}

And if you are interested here are the relevant mods in the link down below.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=470539837

boformer created the terraced housing building theme and rik4000 created the buildings. All the necessary links are in the links above.

catty

:thumbsup:  you really need to number the pictures as it would have made it easier to say which bits I liked the most, but overall   &apls
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

JoeST

catty, it seems they have since done so.

YAY I love seeing Skylines cities, and wow you really hit on the English aesthetic, congratulations. those places are basically places I've lived and visited congratulations
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

belfastsocrates

This isn't a game I've yet to embrace but I really like what you're creating. It has a great British feel and the street scenes are lovely.

I love those terraced houses with the mossy roof slates. Fabulous detail by the creator.
A unique nation fusing technological prowess and unparalleled grandeur

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination" - Oscar Wilde

Vizoria

Replies:

catty: Thanks a lot, also I numbered the pictures immediately after you made that suggestion.

JoeST: With the available mods on the Steam Workshop this really is a golden time for a British player of CS. Plus it is so easy and quick to implement with the building theme mods.

belfastsocrates: You can thank Rik4000 for the building models. Now Clottley was good but it was a pretty experiment, in the third entry I'll be showing is where I really hit my stride with city design.

{---}

Entry 2: The Town of Clottley

In this entry we go to more denser part of Clottley- a whole ton of W2W buildings! Feel free to ask any questions about mods or particular buildings.

{---}

{---}

Next time-

The city of Thornabary. This is really my first proper attempt at a realistic city in CS as I apply my nuanced and detailed SC4 style to this game.

catty

Another great update and thanks for the numbers    :thumbsup:

I think my only complaint as such would be how new all the buildings and their surroundings look which is why I really like the building in pictures 13, 14 and 16 as it at least looks like its had an interesting life, I also like picture 17 for the same reason with its old letters fading sign on the side of the building look.

But great set of pictures   &apls
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

c.p.

Great city.  The layout of seems quite realistic (for example in pictures 11 and 23).
It looks like it could be a really immersive game.  (Especially with being able to "walk around" in the city).

Vizoria

Replies:

catty: Thank you. It would be nicer if more of the buildings had faded and dirtier pictures.

c.p.: Thanks for that!

{---}

Entry 3: Introducing the City of Thornabary

During late August and early September I spent a lot of hours developing Thornabary. Every area has a specific building theme and building style. Many of the completed (zoned) areas have been infilled to remove the green grass between curved zone areas. So without further adieu...

{---}

Panning upwards.

The full extent of Thornabary.

The first bit of Thornabary I developed- west of the city tile.

These detached and semi-detached houses were created by Macwelshman and posted on the Steam workshop.

One of the original user-made buildings- this fabulous church.

Clusters of bamboo.

The main train terminal in Thornabary.

One fabulous shopping mall- a special reward to unlock.

Beautifying the diagonals.

Infilling the areas inside of city blocks is very important for realism.

Slimer's Park.

I am lovin' the cypress trees.

The south-eastern part of the CBD.

Moving into the heart of the CBD.

This, when Thornabary is finished, will be the city centre.

I have been working on prettying up the riverside. The idea I stuck with was to create a riverside road lined with trees.

I just have to stretch it along several kilometres of river banks...

The CBD interchange.

Now we are in East Thornabary.

Sir__Smeg's Edinburgh row houses.

Creating varied rows of W2W complete with different styles and different heights has never been easier. Just combine the Building Themes mod with the Control Building Level Up mod to specify what type, and level, of buildings you want in a district.

The M12 interchange.

I kept the lane crossings as compact as possible. The tunnels were bypass routes linking to areas beyond the immediate interchange vicinity, their purpose was to ease heavy traffic congestion.

Downtown in South Thornabary.

Piren's Green.

I finally got my mitts on some roundabout filler pieces.

Trailer homes. Very much reminiscent of SC4's low wealth stage 1 residential buildings.

A small farm nestled between Piren's Green, the highway and an industrial district.

This is my first proper farm in CS.

Gulatto's neo-eclectic American homes.

One final overview of Thornabary. I have barely started on the North side yet there is still much to polish up in the South side.

{---}
[/b]

Cool picture #1.

Cool picture #2.

{---}

I have still been working on Thornabary but I have much less time since I am in teacher training. This Friday I will show another update and this time it will be Thornabary in the night, to my great fortune the After Dark expansion did not mess up my city.

catty

Back later to have a proper look, have to go to work now, but in the meantime   &apls

wallasey

This is the best looking CS Skylines CJ I've seen to date...Thornabury looks very realistic ( a mix of US and UK planning in the mix there! ).

I know it's been a while but well done all the same.

Vizoria

Replies:

wallasey: Thank you very much!

catty: Cheers!

{---}

Entry 4: Darlington (WIP)

For the last couple of months I have been busy with SC4, now I'm winding that down and focusing on Cities Skylines. I rebuilt my plugins/assets folder and trimmed it greatly. Making gigantic cities is murder for my computer so instead I will be building towns and rural areas. Here is the town of Darlington, in this city tile I have spent the last several days focusing on urban development. Soon I will work on the agriculture and farms. Lastly I want to thank gatakos, a Simtropolis member, for inspiring me to pick up Cities Skylines again.

{---}

The magic of building themes, an entire area of semi-detached buildings can be effortlessly laid down.

The Network Extensions mod includes all kinds of new roads.

Be that new one-way roads and highways...

...and one tile roads. In the vanilla game the roads take up two tiles.

Victorian housing, old but posh.

Using the Network Skins mod I can choose the type of trees and lampposts that will appear on roads. Here are TPB's shady trees.

Another cool mod of TPB's is the terrain theme mod. I can select a different terrain ingame!

This game is nirvana for British users. So many British assets!

Nearly all the time spent so far was laying down the RCI. In this stretch of avenue though I focused on the little details.

Details such as this mini-park.

The rocks are another one of TPB's creations.

A good view to the south.

I use the Roads United mod to improve the road textures.

The best feature of this mod are the cosmetic parking bay demarcations.

The complete overview. When finished the entire town will fit into the confines of this picture. I don't want to make a super large city, just something reasonably sized.

Find the right colour correction and sunsets become magical.

{---}

Some time next week I will post another WIP entry, this time it will focus more on agriculture and the countryside surrounding Darlington.

wallasey

This looks great! The smaller streets for the terraced areas do look better than the vanilla roads. I like the 30s semis!

I did have another go at CS following your older post; alas my laptop can't handle the strain of it!

Keep up the good work!

mgb204

Picture one really shows what I'm trying so desperately to do with SC4. The huge number of UK-themed assets already for C:S is a really great thing. I do notice though it's mostly residential, we need someone like Ill Tonkso to come along and give us loads of UK stations and Commercial buildings methinks.

None the less, there is a British feel going on throughout these pictures. Probably the thing in most dire need of replacement IMO, is the automata. The colours, I'm sorry but eww, way too saturated. Speaking of Automata, I notice you are still using the default trains. There is a 125 model somewhere in the workshop. Also for the cargo train, a re-skin which gives it a more generic EU appearance (I can dig out some links if need be). I'd recommend those, although as far as I know you seemingly can't rid yourself of the originals altogether still :(.

It's been enjoyable flicking through your last few updates here, you really have a good sense of how to lay cities out realistically. As always some fine details and a cohesive use of mods come together brilliantly.  :thumbsup:

compdude787

Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

manga rivotra

With the new assets and your great skills, this game began seriously to seduce me  :)
Pics 1 and 4 are really breathtaking !  :thumbsup:

threestooges

Loving it, and your use of custom content is taunting me to start investing more time on the workshop.

Vizoria

Replies:

wallasey: Thank you! It's a pity your laptop could not handle the game, but this game does use an awful amount of RAM.

mgb204: I have downloaded more automata assets because of your suggestion, so thanks for that! As for the colours, well, muted colour corrections do the best job for minimizing over-saturation.

compdude787: The vanilla game is good, the modded game is incredible. If you do wish to buy it then make sure your rig has plenty of RAM and a great graphics card.

manga rivotra: Thank you!

threestooges: Thanks! The magic of C:S is unlocked through all those items on the workshop.

{---}

News and More Progress

There is not much in this entry since C:S has gone through a major patch due to the Snowfall expansion being released today. My city is fine albeit for a few problems with the Network Extensions and United Roads mod. I have added quite a bit to Darlington but I would have done more if it were not for the patch, because I did worry it would screw up everything, though thankfully it has not. I also presumed the patch would be coming out on the Wednesday which is why the last day spent developing Darlington was on the Tuesday. Anyway with the passing of a few days things will return to normal. Here are a few pictures:

And here is one of the big problems- missing intersection textures.

Farmland.

A flower garden I completed. It constitutes part of the Darlington College grounds.

threestooges

It's been a while since I tinkered with the game. The farming was one of he biggest disappointments I had with it. How are you creating your farmland these days?

The garden looks lovely. Custom workshop stuff?
-Matt

Vizoria

Nature and the wild

Thanks threestooges for the reply! Even with the current mods I still have not seen any decent farmland with the exception of gatakos from Simtropolis.

Now I will be posting the odd CS entry every couple of weeks. It will be small stuff- rural and the countryside.

{---}

This is the map I'm working on. A 18km by 18km city tile.

Up close the map feels massive.

I'm using texture replacements for the water and ground. The water is especially good.

The map is Grand Teton National Park.

A lot of the flora on the map is from more recent creations on the Steam Workshop.

The mountains are breathtaking.

The map creator did a great job sculpting the mountains.

Additionally, the vanilla game has rocks and rock formations to complement the terrain. In future entries I will show the results of this.

I am using a mod called Ultimate Eyecandy to make the most of LUTs. It also allows for exact control of lighting which is great because the vanilla lighting was always too bright and yellow.

I am using the Roads United North America mod for road texture replacements.

The small road snaking off to the left is where I will build the first village.

{---}

Next entry, due sometime next weekend, I will show the finished village.

manga rivotra

I love what you did with the landscape. :)
There is something bucolic and wild simultaneously!
The vegetation is really becoming increasingly beautiful, and the LUTs mod you used seems ideal.
I look forward to see more. &apls &apls &apls