• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Play CD version on Windows 10

Started by Hondacar1212, June 16, 2016, 09:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hondacar1212

I was hesitant to download 10 because of the secdrv.sys not being in 10, but i finally cracked. I have a CD version of SC4 and can't play it right now.  Is there a way to get a CD version working?

When i try to just run it i get an error "please login with administrator privileges and try again".
If i try to run it as an admin the window that asks if it's ok to run pops up, but the game doesn't try and boot.  I get the same result running it in xp compatibility mode.
Thanks for the advice.

Andreas

I don't  know if there's a way around the secdrv.sys problem, but when I read that you can get a free digital copy at Origin, I downloaded and installed it, then contacted EA's customer service (they provide some "chat support" on their website), where I had to provide my key for the CD version. Then they added SC4 to my Origin account, and I was able to download and install it. It's not necessary to run Origin after that, you can make a shortcut to the SC4 EXE on your desktop and start it as usual, even including all the command line arguments, so it works the same way as with the CD, minus the need to have the disk in your CD drive.
Andreas

Hondacar1212

Thanks Andreas
I contacted EA and they gave me a digital copy for free.
Will i have to uninstall the physical version?
I forgot to ask ea

Andreas

I think it doesn't matter, but to save space, just get rid of it. The download version installs into a different folder; C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity 4 Deluxe. I didn't have my CD copy installed in Win10, and the download copy worked right away. The Origin installer also writes this path into the registry, so modding tools that read the path from there will continue to work, too.
Andreas