• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Searching for a new antivirus

Started by Terring7, June 19, 2018, 11:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Terring7

My new PC came with an already installed trial version of McAfee. In a few days, the trial version will be expired. Does it means that McAfee will be just a useless sitting duck? If yes, can I remove it without the risk of making my computer and my OS (Windows 10) collapse? Anyway, I'll need a new antivirus. What I want is a good and free one (since I can't have 2 antiviruses at the same time) that is not going to mess things around. What would you suggest me?
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

Alan_Waters

Andreas

Personally, I stick with Windows Defender that is integrated into Windows 10. Free, lightweight, and not that much worse than any other free antivirus. The best "antivirus" still is being careful what you click, download, and open, though. ;)
Andreas

PaPa-J

I like Malwarebytes.  It's not free but it is inexpensive, $40.  There is a free version but that just scans and removes viruses and suspicious files.  If you want real time protection you have to pay.  It works well with windows defender.
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

Terring7

Thanks for the suggestion, folks. I removed McAfee, since the trial version is over and there is no point to keep having it. I also had Microsoft Security Essential in my previous PC with Windows 7 and I've never had any problem with that. So, I guess I'll stick with Windows Defender. And when I can afford it, I'll give Malwarebytes a try.
"The wisest men follow their own direction" Euripides
The Choice is Ours
---
Simtropolis Moderator here. Can I help? Oh, and you can call me Elias (my real name) if you wish.

eagle74

I am still using Security Essentials w Win 7, but also have the free version of MB & scan the system with it occasionally.  I used AVG free without any issues for years, but gave it up as it was a bit of a resource hog.

PaPa-J

I think you'll like Malwarebytes, it's pretty good.
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.