• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Slope mod for mac

Started by twist2172, November 09, 2020, 05:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twist2172

Hey all,

I am having difficulty installing a slope mod into my game on my macbook.  I have tried downloading the mod and unzipping the file, and then from there I have tried placing the folder into File Juicer and placing the juiced file into my plugins folder.  This method does not seem to work for dat files.  What remedy can I do in order to have a slope mod installed into my game?  Any help with this issue will be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Tarkus

If it's a straight up .dat file, it shouldn't need to be File Juiced, as that's an SC4-readable format.  File Juicer should only be needed on files which contain installers (which we're planning to start getting rid of on the LEX, as part of Project ZIP, thanks to Tyberius06's help).  Which slope mod are you trying to use?

-Alex

twist2172

Thanks for the quick response!  I would like to be able to use Ennedi's slope mod, the medium one.  Maybe I'm just installing it incorrectly, how would I go about it?

jeffryfisher

Quote from: twist2172 on November 10, 2020, 07:43:49 AM
how would I go about it?
Unzip it and put one of the DAT files into your plugins folder.

Beware of competing slope exemplars: NAM now (since 37) sets some tunnel parameters on two networks, so you need to do some reconciliation. Having more than one of any slope exemplar can supposedly make the game unstable, and depending on which loads last, you'll either lose Ennedi's settings or else lose NAM's.
Modding PC games since 1993 (back when we needed hex-editors)

Tarkus

The networks affected are the Rail network (possible to unselect) and, if you have the Maxis Highway Override installed, the Maxis Highways.  The Rail one affects both the slopes (considerably more restrictive) and the tunnel model references, while the Maxis Highways only have tunnel model reference modifications. 

Note that if you remove one/both, the tunnel models will have a mismatch with other slope mods.  We're probably going to need to figure something out there.

-Alex

twist2172

Thank you everyone!  Looks like I have figured it out! I am using all of the modifications in the NAM 38, and I also downloaded ennedi's slope mod again (the medium one) and I'm using the bullet train mod for added smoothing of my networks and all seems to be working again.  I was trying to file juice these mods previously, and I think I've been making this mistake with other mods with .dat files. For what its worth, I also have these two mods installed at the end of my plugins which seems to be helping as well.  So far the new tunnel models are still working as well. 

Thanks again Tarkus and jeffryfisher for all of your help, I greatly appreciate it!

mgb204

For future reference, if you download a .zip file, usually you need only Uncompress it and move the extracted files into Plugins. My Mac (Catalina), seems to be unzipping such files into folders as it downloads them.

If you encounter an .exe, the Windows equivalent of .dmg files, that's when you need tools to use them, like File Juicer. Because you can't run such installers outside of Windows, you must find a workaround.

Glad you got it working though.