• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

next computer / macs

Started by Zaphod, August 07, 2007, 04:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow Assassin

Quote from: Xiziz on October 30, 2007, 07:39:15 PM
Though i dont really like OEM-Manufacturers, and i havnt bought an OEM-Computer since 1995. I Prefer to pick and choose peices myself and build it, why would you buy a preassebled box of legos, the fun is in building & modifying them for optimal looks(or preformance & aethetics when talking computers). Also saves me a lot of swedish crowns, since it actually costs MORE to ship a computer WITHOUT an OS.

I agree: it's quite a nice little challenge putting together a computer. The best moment, IMO, is when you turn on the computer for the first time and it works!
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

dragonshardz

having someone else build it for you isn't bad either.

Xiziz

Quote from: dragonshardz on October 31, 2007, 03:51:56 PM
having someone else build it for you isn't bad either.

But you miss out on all the fun if you let someone else do it :P

and SA, that is an especially golden moment :P

screamingman12

Go with a Mac, they beat Vista laptops/PCs hands down.

As for me
3 year old HP zd8000 with:
Pentum 4 @ 3.2 GHz (x2)
90 GB HDD (May upgrade to 160 or 250 GB)
512 of RAM (soon to upgrade to 2GB)
128 MB graphics card, ATI Mobility Radeon X600
17 inch widescreen
DVD/CD ROM combo drive
Built in Wifi
Built in Bluetooth (never used it yet, though)
Windows XP Home

"...the streetcar, the carriage of the people, was opposed; but that which is for the greatest good of the greatest number will always conquer in the end..." -Rapid Transit in Cities, Thomas Curtis Clarke, 1892

Shadow Assassin

QuoteGo with a Mac, they beat Vista laptops/PCs hands down.

Windows XP computers, on the other hand, beat the crap out of Macs.
New Horizons Productions

JoeST

ach, who cares....

and anyway Linux beats you all  :P , and then there is the genius that's AmigaOS4

the problem for me is i need a cheep laptop.... CHEAP + VISTER != smooth running. I need it for lessons, which means it needs to boot fast.. LOL never with vista and macs are just not my thing

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Xiziz

Quote from: star.torturer on December 10, 2007, 10:50:20 PM
and anyway Linux beats you all :p

Agreed, i just need to learn the stuff before switching my main computer over, running it on my server/secondary(Ubuntu). Though im unsure of 3ds works on Linux :/

callagrafx

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on December 10, 2007, 09:49:16 PM

he he...not sure how you came to that conclusion, but I run XP on my Mac like you run it on your PC, so is that masochism?  :D :D

And when OSX 10.5 gets to 10.5.2 it will become the the most stable, most sophisticated OS available commercially.

@Star.torturer:  There is no such thing as a quick booting PC, sorry.  Simply close the lid and the machine will sleep, ready to awake when you open it again.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

DFire870

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on December 10, 2007, 09:49:16 PM

You're kidding, right? I use Windows XP Media Center Edition and I know Macs are better. I just don't have a mac because they're way too expensive. &mmm

Since Vista is so crappy, Dell has an option where you can choose to have XP installed on your computer instead of Vista, which is great (luckily I got mine before Vista came out so I don't have that problem).

-- John
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

JoeST

Meh I am talking relative, relative to a top spec vista booting LOL... anything is fast, even my old PC

and anyway... why is it always fight between Mack and Wondoze... i hate both equally... and am too lazy to use linux properly LOL

Joe

callagrafx

Quote from: star.torturer on December 11, 2007, 08:57:45 AM
and anyway... why is it always fight between Mack and Wondoze... i hate both equally... and am too lazy to use linux properly LOL

You're a bit stuffed then...oh, and both OSX and Linux are both grounded in the Unix operating system, so both are as equally stable.  And it takes a maximum of 15 secs for my Mac to go from cold to usable  :P

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

dragonshardz

fighting over which OS is better is pointless. in the end they all use the same hardware, so what's the big deal? i'll use my vista pc, some of you will use a mac, others linux/ubuntu, and still others will use older OS's (XP, ME, Windows 2000, Windows 98, etc.) The OS does not matter. hardware specs, though, THOSE matter.

but that doesn't mean that you should start arguing over whose computer has the better specs.  ;)

callagrafx

Actually, software is everything...Without it you have a box full of transistors and wires, a foot pedal and a cup holder  :P 

And what most people want out of their software, more than anything, is reliability.  Also, having high end hardware (Core 2 Quad for example) and having a standard OS (32bit) is a complete waste of hardware, as the OS can only address a finite amount of RAM per application (2GB by default, more if you "hack" Windows a little) and the processing capability is severely restricted by the OS itself.  Both OS X 10.4 (Tiger) and the new 10.5 (Leopard) are 64bit OS's (Tiger was a hybrid), whereas you have to pay through the nose for a 64bit version of Vista, and as for XP x64, don't get me started!

This is where and why Apple machines are more expensive but more reliable.  Dragonshardz is sort of right when he says it's the same hardware, but that generalisation is only partially accurate.  The core components (Processor, Graphics chips, I/O ports and RAM) are generally the same as what's in a PC, but the way they are integrated into a unit is the key.  The software is written for the hardware that Apple manufacture and have control over.  A PC is built of a multitude of components spanning many manufacturers who each require a driver for their hardware to work, so Windows has to work with the lowest common denominator. With OS X, because the hardware is a complete "known" quantity, the drivers can be integrated into the core OS, rather than as an add-on, and it's this which gives the OS it's stability. 

By the way, I'm typing this in Firefox, running Windows XP SP2 while rendering a 3D model in 3DS Max....and the hardware is a Macbook Pro.  2 for the price of one, each one having it's own benefits.

dragonshardz

yeah, cal, you're right. but in the end, each is going to go with what works for him/her, and there's no point in arguing about what OS is better, because some (like myself) beleive that Windows is better and because of that beleif, it is better - for us. Others beleive that Apple is better, and because of that beleif, it is better - for them.

What I'm saying is that if you think that Windows is better, then it is - for you - and you should not go and try to force that on other people. Doing so would be like the Europeans forcing their beleifs on the Native Americans, when they had a perfectly functioning system. I'm not going to go any farther on that, firstly because I am of European descent myself, and secondly because I do not want to get on my computer tomorrow to find that I have been banned.

JoeST

Well thats what I was essentialy saying... but i have grown to dislike them both equally.

and anyway, Hardware is the only real limiting factor, seriously all cal's points about optimisiation are true, but go look for AmigaOS, a really tiny OS that talks directlly with any hardware, (win win situation LOL :P )

Joe

Shadow Assassin

Okay. Here's what I think about Macs: they're overpriced, and I hate the mouse. :P

But to each his own. I'm a gamer first, so that's why I'm sticking with XP (I've had it since 2001). If I was a content editor (ie. Photoshop, w/ever), I'd end up with a Mac.
New Horizons Productions

Diggis

This topic reminded me of an old email I saw years ago which I googled:

QuoteAt a recent computer expo (COMDEX), Bill Gates reportedly compared the computer industry with the auto industry and stated: "If GM had kept up with technology like the computer industry has, we would all be driving $25 cars that get 1,000 to the gallon."

In response to Bill's comments, General Motors issued a press release (From Mr. Welch himself): "If GM had developed technology like Microsoft, we would all be driving cars with the following characteristics:"

For no reason whatsoever, your car would crash twice a day.
Every time they repainted the lines on the road, you would have to buy a new car.
Occasionally your car would die on the freeway for no reason, and you would just accept this, restart and drive on.
Occasionally, executing a maneuver such as a left turn, would cause your car to shut down and refuse to restart, in which case you would have to reinstall the engine.
Only one person at a time could use the car, unless you bought "Car95" or "CarNT." But then you would have to buy more seats.
Macintosh would make a car that was powered by the sun, reliable, five times as fast, and twice as easy to drive, but would only run on five percent of the roads.
The oil, water temperature and alternator warning lights would be replaced by a single "general car fault" warning light.
New seats would force everyone to have the same size butt.
The airbag system would say "Are you sure?" before going off.
Occasionally for no reason whatsoever, your car would lock you out and refuse to let you in until you simultaneously lifted the door handle, turned the key and grab hold of the radio antenna.
GM would require all car buyers to also purchase a deluxe set of Ran McNally Road maps (now a GM subsidiary), even though they would immediately cause the car's performance to diminish by 50% or more. Moreover, GM would become a target for investigation by the Justice Department.
Every time GM introduced a new model, car buyers would have to learn how to drive all over again because none of the controls would operate in the same manner as the old car.
You'd press the "start" button to shut off the engine.

callagrafx

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on December 19, 2007, 05:46:33 PM
Okay. Here's what I think about Macs: they're overpriced, and I hate the mouse. :P
Overpriced depends on your point of view I suppose.  You can buy a PC for around £300-£400 but you get a low end processor/graphics spec...Apples have always been aimed at the professional market and as such the build quality and components have always been the highest spec for the model range.  BUT, the when the Imac was released, it became the biggest selling home computer for 2000-2002.  It seems a lot of people look for quality and stability over price.

Quote from: Shadow Assassin on December 19, 2007, 05:46:33 PM
But to each his own. I'm a gamer first, so that's why I'm sticking with XP (I've had it since 2001). If I was a content editor (ie. Photoshop, w/ever), I'd end up with a Mac.
I use OS X for pro work (Photoshop/Quark etc), but 3D model and play games on XP, both on the Macbook Pro.  So instead of spending a fortune on an Apple and another fortune on a PC laptop of equal spec, I just bought the MBP.

DFire870

IMO, it's not that the Macs are overpriced, it's that they cost too much. :P And I don't particularly like the mouse either, but when I was in high school journalism our laptops had two-button mice so I rarely had to use the regular mouse.

I'll probably get an Apple once I graduate from college, with Boot Camp so I can use XP/Vista/whatever is out at that time.

-- John
After a long absence, I'm back! And I will be starting a new MD soon.

callagrafx

Quote from: DFire870 on December 20, 2007, 06:05:05 AM
IMO, it's not that the Macs are overpriced, it's that they cost too much. :P And I don't particularly like the mouse either, but when I was in high school journalism our laptops had two-button mice so I rarely had to use the regular mouse.

I'll probably get an Apple once I graduate from college, with Boot Camp so I can use XP/Vista/whatever is out at that time.

-- John

Buy a cheap 3 button mouse or scrolly wheel one...works with Macs just as well.  That's what I have, cost me £5