• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

next computer / macs

Started by Zaphod, August 07, 2007, 04:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jplumbley

I like building my own computers.  So, I must say I will never build a Mac.

My latest incarnation of my computer has:

Processor:  AMD Athlon 64 4200+ (always had Intel before, I am impressed with the AMD chip)
Video Card:  NVIDIA (forget the name) 256 mb SLI-ready, TV output, Dual Monitor Capabilities
RAM:  2 - 512 mb (soon to get 2 - 1 gb to add to the final 2 slots for xmas)
HD:  80 gb Serial ATA (250 gb USB HD)
Monitor:  22" LCD Widescreen Samsung Monitor

My last upgrade, I had an ASUS Motherboard which died on me.  I baught a new ASUS motherboard and it was faulty and returned it.  I was disappointed with ASUS because I had only had the first motherboard for about 2 years.  So, I bought a completely different company (forget the name), and said let's go with AMD this time.  I overhauled the computer and re-built it with keeping only the RAM and 2 CD drives for a whopping $450 CAD after taxes.  Then I spent $350 on my monitor.  I had Dual Monitors running on my computer while I was away at school, it was great for my AutoCAD homework, so much more viewable space!  Any CAD Tech would know what I mean.

Lets just say I have been very happy with the new system, the old one was a prebuilt with an Intel P4 2.6 ghz with 1 gb of RAM and a 32 mb ATI video card....  It runs ALOT faster now.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Shadow Assassin

I've never had problems with ASUS mobos... on the other hand, I've had nothing but problems with Gigabyte motherboards. I had to get rid of my old Gigabyte mobo after having it for just 6 months, because it hardware-crashed every time I used a graphics-intensive application.

2 years is not bad for a motherboard at all, considering the rate of technological advances in computing (such as faster, more efficient CPUs, etc). Especially for Intel-derived chipsets - if you want a new processor and you've got an old mobo, chances are, despite same socket design, it won't work, because of updates made to the memory controller and the chipset used on the motherboard might not be compatible with the CPU (because the memory controller used in the motherboard might be too old for the CPU).

I usually replace mine every two to three years, they're cheap anyway (about 110 for a good one... I got this ASRock [ASUS's budget brand] mobo, it's SLI, and works beautifully, never given me any problems... and I got it for $110! SLI mobos are normally about $180-$200.).

Next in my plan would be to upgrade in 2008-2009 some time to a quad-core system.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Diggis

Quote from: jplumbley on December 20, 2007, 08:34:13 AM
Then I spent $350 on my monitor.  I had Dual Monitors running on my computer while I was away at school, it was great for my AutoCAD homework, so much more viewable space!  Any CAD Tech would know what I mean.

I talked the tech in the office into to 'test one of the screens for dead pixels'  :thumbsup: