• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Modding the GUI? Is it possible?

Started by City Builder, January 13, 2008, 04:30:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

City Builder

Hello,
I remember seeing a program that would allow the modder to alter the games interface, but how much of it, or which parts of it I never read up on.  Im wondering if the games interface can be modded so that those flyout menus (like clicking the ploppable building icon, then the landmark icon) could be expanded to where it shows more than one verticle line of buildings at a time.

See attached screenshot manipulation.  Where you see the red X's it means that those up/down selectors are left off and it's only the center one that would remain with the final GUI change to scroll up and down through the list of available buildings.

I don't know if something like this could be done with that SC4 GUI altering tool but would be pretty darn cool and usefull.

If something like that couldn't be done, then I'd love to see an interface for the buildings like what is availble for the bridges (maybe it's only available in NAM, I don't know) but when I draw out a bridge a new window appears that lets me choose which style of bridge to use.  Would be great to have this type of window to choose which building I wish to place too.

Thanks for any information.
When your tired of games of destruction, come to CityBuilderGames.com to discuss games of Construction!
Oh!  Thanks for the negative rep, I love you too!

JoeST

Hi CityBuilder... I have no real idea if this is actualy possible, but i highly doubt it... HERE is a thread that you should look into because this is as far as it has got:
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Jonathan

It is possible to modify the GUI to a certain extent, like moving the buttons around and reorganizing existing objects, but adding new menus, or changing how they function(have more than one column is not possible) how ever if you look here, Daeley has created a workaround for sub menus, and I belive GoaSkin has added other menus, but it required the modification of the EXE (illegal) or the use of a dll, which noone has got together and worked out how to do it.

starrdarcy

Quote from: Warrior on January 13, 2008, 04:45:33 AM
It is possible to modify the GUI to a certain extent, like moving the buttons around and reorganizing existing objects, but adding new menus, or changing how they function(have more than one column is not possible) how ever if you look here, Daeley has created a workaround for sub menus, and I belive GoaSkin has added other menus, but it required the modification of the EXE (illegal) or the use of a dll, which noone has got together and worked out how to do it.

Modding of the EXE would be the easy way, however its iligal like you mention, there are other routes likes adding on patches involving DLL and other scripts. However, getting into that area is like swimming into the sea... you don't know what will happen.

Urban design & planning with SimCity with Sketchup